Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:59:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sydney - Klondike assembly EOI  (Read 3907 times)
emanymton

Activity: 219
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 02:40:31 AM

Thanks for the input, everythings still very tentative till the design is finalised then I can start to shop around.
It'll be interesting to see how fast we can get these boards put into action.
I can't imagine the components being too much cheaper than mouser but would love if they were.
Hopefully the through hole components don't affect the overall assembly price too much.
If anybody knows any good assemblers or a place to get the heatsinks domestically I think we could all benefit.

I am going to be water cooling mine, I have not worked all the details out yet but it will be simple using off the shelf parts.
I have an avalon now and it puts out a lot of heat and noise.

Here is my initial idea. Its looking like I will need to make an adapter plate from flat bar and will mount broads both side of the tube.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179769.msg2187398#msg2187398

I like your idea, it looks to have a lot of promise, particularly for cooling as many boards as mine.

Is there a u-bolt that would suit the holes on the klondike?
Also would the fact that there is a through hole component make it infeasible for the klondike?

I don't quite understand what you guys mean about surface area.
Are you talking about the interior surface area that is in contact with the water?

Also instead of the nozzle, maybe you could consider something like this: http://koolance.com/dual-video-connector-adjustable-1-slot-spacing
Doesn't have to be that one, I'm sure there's standard ones you can get from a hardware store
All you would need to do is weld the cap on the end, then drill a suitable hole and tap a thread inside it.
I would trust a screw in, more than hoseclamps, even though the pressure probably isn't that high so it may not matter.
Also you could place the holes on the top rather than either end which tom_o was suggesting.

Just an FYI ... I live in Sydney Smiley
So if you want to ensure continued support by the cgminer devs - ckolivas and myself - if you can provide one to each of us we can of course ensure we can provide proper and ongoing support for them.

The Avalon software is already under heavy development by ckolivas at the moment for the switch over to USB.

... and being in Sydney myself ... you can get one to me the same day they are ready and I can test and work on cgminer if required to make sure everyone will have it working as soon as possible if there are any problems then and in the future
ckolivas lives in Aus also

I would probably be agreeable to donating a board or two in exchange for some advice setting up cgminer on my host.
I'm a bit hesitant to make any concrete promises at this point though without even a finalised design.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dobber

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 03:04:58 AM

Another chance of collaborating with emanymton?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=211683.new#new

I am in Melbourne, and I am looking at 1, maybe 2 boards only with assembly.
emanymton

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:38:15 AM

I might be, but it would depend heavily on timing and price.
The most important thing is getting my units hashing as quickly as possible.
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:48:38 AM

I might be, but it would depend heavily on timing and price.
The most important thing is getting my units hashing as quickly as possible.

True, but the most important thing really is getting the chips out of Avalon. Everything else is a pipe dream until they start shipping.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 07:34:35 AM

I've purchased 240 chips in an overseas group buy, so I'll be needing chip soldering and 15 boards.

If anybody would provide this service in Australia at a reasonable cost, I would definitely be keen to purchase.

No case necessary! I like to build custom equipment out of milk crates etc Smiley

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Defkin (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 11:06:30 AM

I like your idea, it looks to have a lot of promise, particularly for cooling as many boards as mine.

Also would the fact that there is a through hole component make it infeasible for the klondike?

Are you talking about the interior surface area that is in contact with the water?

Also instead of the nozzle, maybe you could consider something like this: http://koolance.com/dual-video-connector-adjustable-1-slot-spacing
Doesn't have to be that one, I'm sure there's standard ones you can get from a hardware store
All you would need to do is weld the cap on the end, then drill a suitable hole and tap a thread inside it.
I would trust a screw in, more than hoseclamps, even though the pressure probably isn't that high so it may not matter.
Also you could place the holes on the top rather than either end which tom_o was suggesting.

I have given up on u bolts. The boards would have to extend 10mm past the area that needs cooling and neither board layout is doing that.
My work around is to use 3mm thick flat bar, drill and tap mounting holes then tack weld the flat bar to the rectangular tube.

The take offs could be a threaded fitting or anything for that matter. I prefer the clamp fitting over threaded as aluminum is not the most durable material and I would not trust the thread in so far as me accidentally stripping it. Using a more durable material is also out due to galvanic series.

Mounting the take off at the top. The positioning is not a big deal once the air is out but I was planning mounting on top to make it easier to bleed anyhow. Drawings are just to get the idea across not technically accurate yet Smiley

The surface area was for the inside. The more surface area you have in contact with the water the more heat is exchanged, The idea of the mesh inside was to increase surface area and turbulence.

This is a sketch of my latest plan so far, I plan on having the boards line both sides and that is another good reason to dump the u bolt idea:

Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 12:46:12 AM

Watching... good luck guys hope it goes well.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
erk

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 12:48:28 AM

I am after assembled boards without heatsinks, I am going to work out my own cooling solution.

Bicknellski

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 12:49:15 AM
Last edit: May 23, 2013, 04:29:36 AM by Bicknellski

So if you want to ensure continued support by the cgminer devs - ckolivas and myself - if you can provide one to each of us we can of course ensure we can provide proper and ongoing support for them.

The Avalon software is already under heavy development by ckolivas at the moment for the switch over to USB.

... and being in Sydney myself ... you can get one to me the same day they are ready and I can test and work on cgminer if required to make sure everyone will have it working as soon as possible if there are any problems then and in the future

BKKCoins is going to do the develop of the mining software as part of the Klondike board right as open source might be better to support his work on this and keep your boards in your hands. Why not buy get your own Klondike and support open development for the DIYers? This isn't Avalon / BFL I think there are plenty of people who can develop and support software and firmware without having to give away any boards.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
emanymton

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 10:20:21 AM

I have given up on u bolts. The boards would have to extend 10mm past the area that needs cooling and neither board layout is doing that.
My work around is to use 3mm thick flat bar, drill and tap mounting holes then tack weld the flat bar to the rectangular tube.

The take offs could be a threaded fitting or anything for that matter. I prefer the clamp fitting over threaded as aluminum is not the most durable material and I would not trust the thread in so far as me accidentally stripping it. Using a more durable material is also out due to galvanic series.

Mounting the take off at the top. The positioning is not a big deal once the air is out but I was planning mounting on top to make it easier to bleed anyhow. Drawings are just to get the idea across not technically accurate yet Smiley

The surface area was for the inside. The more surface area you have in contact with the water the more heat is exchanged, The idea of the mesh inside was to increase surface area and turbulence.

This is a sketch of my latest plan so far, I plan on having the boards line both sides and that is another good reason to dump the u bolt idea:

That looks really good. I'm going to seriously consider doing something like this for my boards.
Would there be a layer of thermal paste between the flat bar and the tube?
Bicknellski

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 10:36:23 AM

https://109.201.133.65/index.php?topic=190731.msg2243586#msg2243586

Check this out for those looking for firmware / miner support.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4452
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 11:44:26 AM

BKKCoins is going to do the develop of the mining software as part of the Klondike board right as open source might be better to support his work on this and keep your boards in your hands. Why not buy get your own Klondike and support open development for the DIYers? This isn't Avalon / BFL I think there are plenty of people who can develop and support software and firmware without having to give away any boards.
LOL you are funny Smiley
Just coz I like the BFL hardware you're trying to direct them to not support cgminer.
Interesting.
I guess I need to take a closer look at that thread ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Bicknellski

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 12:42:44 PM

Dude,

Like what you want.

If you put in effort to the Klondike you are my best mate.

Other than that... why not order up a K16 and some chips and have at it rather than hat in hand?

I for one will contribute to you or anyone who supports a miner that works well with the Klondike and I will add that directly to the price of the boards if people want your version of "CGminer" It would be nice to see you involved in this Klondike all in rather than just waiting for a finished prototype etc as it is a very reasonably priced miner given what people have priced it at. It isn't BFL or Avalon you might actually get these in hand without delays.

CGminer doesn't require your support if I am not correct? Anyone can mod it right?

Quid pro quo... you show me what you put into Klondike and I will certainly put every effort in to compensate you any way possible.

KS

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:07:00 PM

@kano + bicknellski:

Chill out please.

If some boards are required for CGMiner support, some boards will be provided. It's all too early anyway.

No one is "due" anything but there is no reason not to facilitate the group effort nor to recognize the participation of individuals. Let's just not make this into sth it's not.

Pretty please?
Bicknellski

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:23:30 PM

Back to watching... good luck guys in Sydney.

erk

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:45:03 PM

@kano + bicknellski:

Chill out please.

If some boards are required for CGMiner support, some boards will be provided. It's all too early anyway.

No one is "due" anything but there is no reason not to facilitate the group effort nor to recognize the participation of individuals. Let's just not make this into sth it's not.

Pretty please?

I put Bicknellski on my ignore list weeks ago from his trolling in other threads.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4452
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:00:18 AM

Dude,

Like what you want.

If you put in effort to the Klondike you are my best mate.

Other than that... why not order up a K16 and some chips and have at it rather than hat in hand?

I for one will contribute to you or anyone who supports a miner that works well with the Klondike and I will add that directly to the price of the boards if people want your version of "CGminer" It would be nice to see you involved in this Klondike all in rather than just waiting for a finished prototype etc as it is a very reasonably priced miner given what people have priced it at. It isn't BFL or Avalon you might actually get these in hand without delays.

CGminer doesn't require your support if I am not correct? Anyone can mod it right?

Quid pro quo... you show me what you put into Klondike and I will certainly put every effort in to compensate you any way possible.

I dunno, was what I said vague?

I certainly cant do any more than write the software after I get the device.
(or write something ready for me to test/fix if an MCU spec is written)
What were you expecting?

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
BitCsByBit

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 12:27:11 PM

Also in Sydney.

I'm interested as well..but I would prefer the K64.

Tipsy jar: 1HgfLMXiJQj9KZ7abLRh9rWuR7dgeSyub4
QuiveringGibbage

Activity: 617
Merit: 543

http://idontALT.com

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 02:30:51 AM

Interested and watching.

I am also considering parting with some of my chips after they arrive in Sydney. If anyone is in need of any, feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
QG

Bitcoin is at the tippity top of the mountain...but it's really only half way up.. Wink
Bicknellski

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 05:36:19 AM

@kano + bicknellski:

Chill out please.

Pretty please?

I put Bicknellski on my ignore list weeks ago from his trolling in other threads.

Likewise... troll.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: