Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 06:18:52 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASUS B250 Mining Expert MB - 19 Cards!  (Read 31058 times)
Turk Ace

Activity: 360
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2017, 08:15:52 PM

Because the AMD or Nvidia Driver limits you to 8 Cards.
So if you want to add 13 cards according to them you should add 8 of one type and 5 of the other due to the driver limitation of 8.

Or use a Linux based OS. Lot's of videos on Youtube with 13+ AMD or Nvidia GPU's running under smOS or ethOS.

How will that work though? Having mixed drivers and gpus like that?

As far as I know you have to have them all the same. That's why I don't understand he you even have all these cards working together. People are saying different things but who actually owns one of these Mobo?
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:59:14 PM

13 regular and 6 mining-specific if you mix AMD and Nvidia mining cards, per the manual - though I have no clue why you can't do 8 of each.

I am uncertain if any of the BIOS upgrades changed those limits, and have no CLUE why there would be any difference in the interface of a "mining-specific card" that would allow them to be used in higher quantities than "regular" cards.
VERY odd that.

Very true, it makes no sense. It's asus and its sheningans.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 09:04:07 PM

the gpu limit is asus... not amd.

the board will not POST with more then 13 non mining cards.
do you even own one of the boards? dont spread nonsense around here like that.

as far as i can tell --> "Compute Support

Radeon Software now supports compute workloads for up to 12 installed Radeon RX 400, Radeon RX 500 or Radeon RX Vega series graphics products on Windows®10 system configurations."

So it means by that statement no more than 12 but 13 is working, so what the hell is going on and amd has not said more than 12 cards.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 09:27:53 PM

Yes, I DO own one - though it doesn't have a lot of cards on it yet.

There is NO logical reason for it to be limited to 13 "standard" cards - and it's NOT a drivers issue, it's a BIOS limitation issue on the part of ASUS.

LINUX used to support mixed AMD and Nvidia cards, but recent versions seem to have lost that ability - I'm not sure if it's something in the LINUX kernal that changed, or if the drivers themselves changed that much - but I'd bet on the drivers.
 AMDGPU-PRO in particular has a hard problem working at ALL, much less playing nicely with anything else, and the old fglrx drivers don't support the RX series at all.

Mixed GPU rigs is one of the VERY few things Windows does better than LINUX at this time.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Permonik

Activity: 275
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 09:38:27 PM

Yes, I DO own one - though it doesn't have a lot of cards on it yet.

There is NO logical reason for it to be limited to 13 "standard" cards - and it's NOT a drivers issue, it's a BIOS limitation issue on the part of ASUS.

LINUX used to support mixed AMD and Nvidia cards, but recent versions seem to have lost that ability - I'm not sure if it's something in the LINUX kernal that changed, or if the drivers themselves changed that much - but I'd bet on the drivers.
 AMDGPU-PRO in particular has a hard problem working at ALL, much less playing nicely with anything else, and the old fglrx drivers don't support the RX series at all.

Mixed GPU rigs is one of the VERY few things Windows does better than LINUX at this time.

Guys, I do own this mobo too. And I do not know if anyone from you read the manual which comes with the board. On the few places is mentioned that the new AMD driver support is needed for using 17 and more gpus!!!
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 09:41:14 PM

Well AMD never stated more than 12 gpu's. So we can't really say its asus.

Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 09:47:16 PM

Guys, I do own this mobo too. And I do not know if anyone from you read the manual which comes with the board. On the few places is mentioned that the new AMD driver support is needed for using 17 and more gpus!!!

The manual says "AMD driver support is required for using 17 and more graphics cards."

Permonik

Activity: 275
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 09:59:59 PM

The manual says "AMD driver support is required for using 17 and more graphics cards."
Yes, that is the exact transcription from the manual...
lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 10:05:07 PM

I got 9x - 1070ti working perfectly fine with windows 10.  Detected all cards on the first try. All cards hashing at full capacity.  Works great best motherboard ever.

I did No bios update, just works out of the box from last month.

Only slight issue is msi afterburner can only display 8x cards max.  However the settings I apply does get applied to all 9 cards from afterburner even tho it does not display it.

I'll start a new rig but im very satisified with my 9x gpu setup.  Once msi afterburner fixes their 8x max gpu display i may attempt higher amount of video cards and rebuild the frame
Alyeska

Activity: 50
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 11:21:40 PM

Same -  I am currently powering 9 GTX 1070ti SC Hybrids off of one EVGA 1600 t2 Power supply with an at wall outlet power draw of 1370 watts On my Asus B250 Mining Expert running SMOS with overclocking settings of core/200 memory/1400 and my Watts to 136

and after running for 48 hours of solid up time, I am happy to report that I am getting

========== Sol/s: 4762.0 Sol/W: 3.92 Avg: 4776.0 I/s: 2557.4 Sh: 41.18 0.99 211

THAT'S 529 Sol/w at only 136 watt per card! Perfectly stable on the Asus B250 Mining Expert running SMOS

-------------
I have more cards and Power supplies on the way, and will update if I can get 12 1070ti running soon under SMOS
-------------

I set up the Bios to boot from power restore, and have a wifi smart plug to reboot the machine if I need to remotely, for instance Yesterday I switched the Algorithm I was mining on the fly, while I was not at home yesterday,(actually 40 miles from home) and SMOS hung, so I successfully rebooted remotely (via the wifi smart plug), And SMOS rebooted and happily started reporting into the web interface on my phone that it was mining away at full hash power on the new Algorithm,

I currently really like this board, and believe that Asus will at some point follow through on allowing us to post up with any 19 cards, so I already have purchased two additional B250 Mining Experts, and will began building them out, once I max this first one to it's current potential, which may be 13 cards until an update.

Some notes: I have none of the AUX molex plugged in, those are for people that are not using Powered Riser cards I have been lead to believe, I only have one power supply plugged in, but have my working 9 cards spread out over 2 of the 3 card banks no problem, once again, because the slots work fine if you are supplying the Power via risers (as in the you don't need three power supplies for this board, you could use one, then a Server PSU to power cards etc...

I am still learning more about this board every day , but so far like it, Love the Post screen showing which GPU's are seen at boot up, and which slots, coupled along with Risers that have an LED on them, I feel this will greatly enhance any future trouble shooting to find a bad card, USB cable, Powered Riser, Etc...
wtfonly16

Activity: 285
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 11:29:47 PM

go plug 14 amd on mining cards in the board.

IT DOESNT POST

go plug 14 nvidia non mining cards into the board.

IT DOESNT POST

whats so hard to understand? the board is flawed, and asus said they will fix this issue in a bios update q4 december 2017... this has nothing to do with amd or nvidia drivers. YOU CANT EVEN LOAD INTO THE OS.

ye i aint bares
Ghostsuit

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 11:40:07 PM

Same -  I am currently powering 9 GTX 1070ti SC Hybrids off of one EVGA 1600 t2 Power supply with an at wall outlet power draw of 1370 watts On my Asus B250 Mining Expert running SMOS with overclocking settings of core/200 memory/1400 and my Watts to 136

Can I ask how you got SMoS working every time I plug in a USB with it I get to the Bios page and it says no drive detected. Is there some setting that need changed?
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 11:40:46 PM

IT DOESNT POST

IT DOESNT POST

whats so hard to understand? the board is flawed, and asus said they will fix this issue in a bios update q4 december 2017... this has nothing to do with amd or nvidia drivers. YOU CANT EVEN LOAD INTO THE OS.

This board was gimped by design in REQUIRING Nvidia P106 mining cards for over 13 cards. Asus should have made clear the requirements instead of posting ambigous charts that left it up to interpretation. The fact that the board can boot and mine with 13 AMD cards as long as you run P106 mining cards as well shows that the limitation is by design with a a Bios check for the mining cards on POST. Something that should be EASY for Asus to remove or give an option to bypass if they chose to do it. In other words don't hold your breath waiting on Asus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miUoqnUqk9M&feature=youtu.be&t=6201
betaminer

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 12:13:00 AM

Hy Alyeska,

did I got you right, that you supply the risers itself from the PSUs?
Arent the sockets supplied from directly from the PSU?

What us the necessary best power rate (Watt) for the PSUs connected? I couldnt find anything about

What kind of "wifi smart plug" are you using there?

SMOS can report on the phone? via internet or SMS?

Does SMOS work with NVIDIA 1080 ti?

sorry my questions must sound dumb...

Good night

and after running for 48 hours of solid up time, I am happy to report that I am getting

THAT'S 529 Sol/w at only 136 watt per card! Perfectly stable on the Asus B250 Mining Expert running SMOS

-------------
I have more cards and Power supplies on the way, and will update if I can get 12 1070ti running soon under SMOS
-------------

I set up the Bios to boot from power restore, and have a wifi smart plug to reboot the machine if I need to remotely, for instance Yesterday I switched the Algorithm I was mining on the fly, while I was not at home yesterday,(actually 40 miles from home) and SMOS hung, so I successfully rebooted remotely (via the wifi smart plug), And SMOS rebooted and happily started reporting into the web interface on my phone that it was mining away at full hash power on the new Algorithm,

I currently really like this board, and believe that Asus will at some point follow through on allowing us to post up with any 19 cards, so I already have purchased two additional B250 Mining Experts, and will began building them out, once I max this first one to it's current potential, which may be 13 cards until an update.

Some notes: I have none of the AUX molex plugged in, those are for people that are not using Powered Riser cards I have been lead to believe, I only have one power supply plugged in, but have my working 9 cards spread out over 2 of the 3 card banks no problem, once again, because the slots work fine if you are supplying the Power via risers (as in the you don't need three power supplies for this board, you could use one, then a Server PSU to power cards etc...

I am still learning more about this board every day , but so far like it, Love the Post screen showing which GPU's are seen at boot up, and which slots, coupled along with Risers that have an LED on them, I feel this will greatly enhance any future trouble shooting to find a bad card, USB cable, Powered Riser, Etc...
Alyeska

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 12:37:41 AM

Hy Alyeska,

What us the necessary best power rate (Watt) for the PSUs connected? I couldnt find anything about

Good night

-------------
-------------

Yes SMOS will work with a 1080ti,

all power supplies have different wattage's and qualities IE: GOLD - up to Titanium and can be used to different potentials, plus you need to take into account the outlets breaker and staying below 80% utilization, so on 110 volt 20 Amp circuit breaker outlet, you should not use more than 1920 watts, or you will blow breakers, just an example, your wiring may be different voltage and Amperage, you need to tailor this to your situation,

I look UP SMOS on my phone via Google Chrome, and stay logged in so that I can administer my miner from anywhere,
https://simplemining.net/

the smart plug I use is this one, it allows me to know a lot about the miner attached, it's up time, current wattage draw, and allows me to turn it on and off again from any where in the world I have an internet or phone connection,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0178IC5ZY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Alyeska

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 02:44:00 AM

Can I ask how you got SMoS working every time I plug in a USB with it I get to the Bios page and it says no drive detected. Is there some setting that need changed?

I had the same problem, you will figure this out,
And yes I am running SMOS from a Bootable usb stick, plugged into one of the USB 3.0 slots on the back, (you can try others)

BUT, first make sure you wrote the bootable SMOS properly to the USB by powering off a laptop or some other computer, inserting the USB and starting the machine up, and see if Linux starts the boot sequence, if you know your USB is good, then,

In your Bios of the B250 Mining expert, under the advanced tab you should find a BOOT tab at the top, under that, you need to turn off Fast Boot and make it regular boot, and then change from the EUFI Boot to Legacy, not the dual option, but the Legacy only, then save the BIOS changes and power off completely, before powering back on, as long as you have a bootable linux USB drive inserted, it should boot, if you mess up any settings, you can always short the BIOS pins on the mother board to bring it back to default, so no worries, and I did upgrade my Bios to the 12/15/2017 version via downloading it onto a completely different USB and flashing the Bios from within the BIOS,

Hopefully this helps, let me know, if it comes down to it, I guess I could go reboot my miner and take a picture of the actual Bios Boot screen settings,

Good Luck!
darkneorus

Activity: 238
Merit: 3

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 04:35:37 AM

IT DOESNT POST

IT DOESNT POST

This board was gimped by design in REQUIRING Nvidia P106 mining cards for over 13 cards. Asus should have made clear the requirements instead of posting ambigous charts that left it up to interpretation. The fact that the board can boot and mine with 13 AMD cards as long as you run P106 mining cards as well shows that the limitation is by design with a a Bios check for the mining cards on POST. Something that should be EASY for Asus to remove or give an option to bypass if they chose to do it. In other words don't hold your breath waiting on Asus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miUoqnUqk9M&feature=youtu.be&t=6201
not only P106, it works fine with P104 mining cards too.
I guess this 13 GPUs limitation is somehow related to count of GPUs with display outputs.
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 06:18:06 AM

not only P106, it works fine with P104 mining cards too.
I guess this 13 GPUs limitation is somehow related to count of GPUs with display outputs.

Yeah, you might be right about that.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 06:26:53 AM

Well AMD never stated more than 12 gpu's. So we can't really say its asus.

It's an ASUS isssue - they're not saying "max 13 regular cards from one vendor", they are saying "max 13 regular cards PERIOD".
 If you mix AMD and NVidia, there is no reason you can't have 8 of EACH with the normal drivers that were available for WINDOWS at the time of the release of this board.
 LINUX at the time didn't have even THAT much of a limit.

There is ZERO rational reason to require P106/P104 mining-specific cards to be able to run more than 13 cards from this board.

There is also the question of the AMD "mining" cards that do not have a video output like some of the Sapphire models and if those are counted as "mining cards" by the ASUS bios.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
betaminer

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 07:56:53 AM

How much Watt should my PSUs have? (Lets say for port A on the B250, with 7 x 1080ti)

How do you power up your GPUs?  Do you connect power again to each riser card? or is it delivered through the sockets on the mainboard? Does the riser card channel the power from there? Maybe I got the concept wrong,

thank you for your answers and fast response,

see you later

Betaminer

///

Hy Alyeska,

Good night

-------------
-------------

Yes SMOS will work with a 1080ti,

all power supplies have different wattage's and qualities IE: GOLD - up to Titanium and can be used to different potentials, plus you need to take into account the outlets breaker and staying below 80% utilization, so on 110 volt 20 Amp circuit breaker outlet, you should not use more than 1920 watts, or you will blow breakers, just an example, your wiring may be different voltage and Amperage, you need to tailor this to your situation,

I look UP SMOS on my phone via Google Chrome, and stay logged in so that I can administer my miner from anywhere,
https://simplemining.net/

the smart plug I use is this one, it allows me to know a lot about the miner attached, it's up time, current wattage draw, and allows me to turn it on and off again from any where in the world I have an internet or phone connection,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0178IC5ZY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  

Jump to: