View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 06:32:49 PM

Kind of a US-centric point of view, don't you think?

I see a huge potential for relatively speedy adoption in the Americas - Argentina is trivially obvious - but what I don't see is how that comes to fruition through fostering the same old US exceptionalism bullshit.  Monroe did his damndest to marginalize Simon Bolivar - ask your Latin American acquaintances how that worked out...

Frankly, I don't think you're going to gain much credibility anywhere south of the border by pushing Miami as "the epicenter of the Western Hemisphere".  It isn't.  And thinking so is actually insulting to those whom you claim to be attempting to reach.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
pwi

Activity: 118

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 08:25:37 PM

Kind of a US-centric point of view, don't you think?

I see a huge potential for relatively speedy adoption in the Americas - Argentina is trivially obvious - but what I don't see is how that comes to fruition through fostering the same old US exceptionalism bullshit.  Monroe did his damndest to marginalize Simon Bolivar - ask your Latin American acquaintances how that worked out...

Frankly, I don't think you're going to gain much credibility anywhere south of the border by pushing Miami as "the epicenter of the Western Hemisphere".  It isn't.  And thinking so is actually insulting to those whom you claim to be attempting to reach.

I get your point, but South Florida provides a decent representation of an amalgam of the 'Americas'.  It is not uncommon to hear every language spoken in the western hemisphere during a casual trip to Walmart in North Broward County.  Rio would be Brasil-centric, no?

My objection to Miami, or anywhere near Broward-Dade, has nothing to do with an argument over the location of "the epicenter of the Western Hemishpere".  It has to do with the area containing more white collar crooks and scoundrels than pretty much anywhere else in the western hemisphere.  Bitcoin already has its share of these scammers preying on the unsuspecting.  Bringing Bitcoin discussion to Broward-Dade is just inviting the scum of all scum regardless of ethnicity. Only two kinds of businessmen exist in Broward-Dade; the scammer and the scammed.  Of course this is just my opinion.

Put me down for Argentina!

Buy my PS3 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=216554.msg2282760#msg2282760

Sign up with campbx:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=3lo7dSqrLOu Yes it's an affiliate link, but you will not see me touting anything I do not both believe in and make extensive use of myself. Campbx is one of those things.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 1299

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 06:52:16 PM

Miami is convenient to many latin American markets, so go for it.  At worst someone else can organize one for Rio, Tegucigalpa, or Montevideo.   Grin

Not to mention Orlando and other areas have things going on with Bitcoin.  (e.g. Bitcoin Mag).

I met several individuals from Latin America at Bitcoin 2013, and we bounced around the idea of setting up a Bitcoin conference in the epicenter of the Western Hemisphere—Miami—rather than that remote, outer province that was all the rage way back in the 1990s.

We are calling it Bitcoin of the Americas.  (Don't bother.  I grabbed the domain names before posting this.)

I expect that this post will get buried pretty quickly under a bunch of posts about mining and setting up exchanges, but I'll try to update this thread as developments occur.  Anyone in South Florida who might be interested, feel free to contact me.  Mind, though, that this isn't even Powerpointware yet, much less an actual announcement.
BTC Books

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 07:57:23 PM

Judging by the tone of your comments, I cannot help but wonder if you've ever been down here for more than a vacation, and if you have ever been more than a few blocks inland.  

Actually, I've lived in Mexico and Brazil, and while it's true I may have spent most of those long-ago years on the coasts, I've spent some time in the interior.  Though I preferred Spain, where I settled in for three years.  You're right about the bugs and critters south of the border though.

But Miami - Florida in general, actually - I've never cared for.  It's a place of little production and has always seemed to be an endless chain of sales, unpunctuated by much of a creative nature other than the criminal.  And for someone of my generation, the remnants of the Batista diaspora are still quite apparent.

In any case, I've grown quite distrustful of American hubris over the years.  So politically, as well as geographically, some bitcoin thing for the western hemisphere would make more sense somewhere around the fulcrum;  or certainly closer to it.  Costa Rica for the stout of heart - but Rio would be hard to beat for a party.  Or, if you want a mixing pot and are set on the east coast (which makes sense), try Veracruz... I loved Veracruz.

BTC Books

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:41:08 PM

I've grown quite distrustful of American hubris over the years.  So politically, as well as geographically, some bitcoin thing for the western hemisphere would make more sense somewhere around the fulcrum;  or certainly closer to it.  Costa Rica for the stout of heart - but Rio would be hard to beat for a party.  Or, if you want a mixing pot and are set on the east coast (which makes sense), try Veracruz... I loved Veracruz.

We agree on the American hubris part.  Most of my bluster is aimed at New Yorkers and Silicon Valley self-satisfaction.

As for the criminal element, while South Florida has hot and cold running scumbags, it would be a stretch to claim that Panama—the other likely candidate for Center of the Western Hemisphere—does not.

With regard to being the epicenter, if you suggest to a Brazilian or a Mexican that Buenos Aires is the epicenter of the Americas, the reaction probably would be vociferous denial.  Likewise, Mexico City to an Argentine, Medellín to a Chilean, Santiago to a Venezuelan, etc.

Miami is more or less neutral territory, and we are pathologically international here.  I never cease to be amazed how provincial New Yorkers and Californians can be.  (I have lived in both.)

Heh.  I'm both.  Born in weaned in California (LA), grew up in NYC.

BTC Books

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 02:44:42 PM

Heh.  I'm both.  Born in weaned in California (LA), grew up in NYC.

You remember The New Yorker's map of the world seen from New York?  I'm working on something similar with everything north of Palm Beach, FL, called The Mainland, and New York City and Silicon Valley positioned as suburbs of Toronto and Vancouver.  Latin America and the Caribbean are to be expanded in glorious detail.

Basically, I am pandering to my target audience.

Yeah, I remember that cover.  Steinberg.  There were a couple other cartoony memes that were similar from the sixties.  And they're true.  It's one of the reasons I don't live there any more.  NY used to be a very small town - or rather a bunch of small, mostly ethnic villages all crammed together.  Nowadays it's pretty homogenous, and frankly nowhere near as interesting.  It's where people go after they've made a splash in their field, just to let everyone else know how cool they are.  No room left for the weird ones, the starving artists, the down and out hucksters or the two-bit hustlers.

I'll be going back to LA in a little while; that down at heels, strange and thirsty place.  Good place to retire, if you know the ropes.

I figured out a little while ago that in New York there's only history - but in LA there are legends.  Seems more interesting.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:09:46 PM

I don't know about Miami being the hub but I always have thought it odd that Silicon Valley is one of the places they always choose to meet. Programmers and geeks are into Bitcoin because they like the software but it's actually a financial instrument. Silicon Valley has about as much to do with finance as Idaho has to do with apples.

glitch003

Activity: 219
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 06:45:31 PM

Silicon Valley has about as much to do with finance as Idaho has to do with apples.

Sorry, I know this is off-topic, but I couldn't resist  Grin

"Idaho has been committed to growing apples for more than a century. Idaho farmers helped pioneer the apple industry in the northwestern United States. Many major Idaho apple orchards began producing fruit in the 1890s. The apple-growing region of Idaho occupies a relatively small area in the southwestern side of the state near Boise. Nestled in a valley between the Snake and Payette rivers, this region is perfectly suited for growing apples of the highest quality. Idaho's terrain, microclimate, volcanic soil, and abundant water supply provide essential elements to guarantee a superb tasting apple."

from http://www.idahoapples.com/
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 06:52:12 PM

I met several individuals from Latin America at Bitcoin 2013, and we bounced around the idea of setting up a Bitcoin conference in the epicenter of the Western Hemisphere—Miami—rather than that remote, outer province that was all the rage way back in the 1990s.

We are calling it Bitcoin of the Americas.  (Don't bother.  I grabbed the domain names before posting this.)

I expect that this post will get buried pretty quickly under a bunch of posts about mining and setting up exchanges, but I'll try to update this thread as developments occur.  Anyone in South Florida who might be interested, feel free to contact me.  Mind, though, that this isn't even Powerpointware yet, much less an actual announcement.

I'd be interested in attending. I live in San Antonio, which is not too far and my wife has always wanted to visit Miami. Her Spanish is much better than mine but I can usually get by.

Still around.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:11:01 PM

Silicon Valley has about as much to do with finance as Idaho has to do with apples.

Sorry, I know this is off-topic, but I couldn't resist  Grin

"Idaho has been committed to growing apples for more than a century. Idaho farmers helped pioneer the apple industry in the northwestern United States. Many major Idaho apple orchards began producing fruit in the 1890s. The apple-growing region of Idaho occupies a relatively small area in the southwestern side of the state near Boise. Nestled in a valley between the Snake and Payette rivers, this region is perfectly suited for growing apples of the highest quality. Idaho's terrain, microclimate, volcanic soil, and abundant water supply provide essential elements to guarantee a superb tasting apple."

from http://www.idahoapples.com/

Ok, Colorado Rockies then. LOL

pwi

Activity: 118

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:39:28 PM

I get your point, but South Florida provides a decent representation of an amalgam of the 'Americas'.  It is not uncommon to hear every language spoken in the western hemisphere during a casual trip to Walmart in North Broward County.  Rio would be Brasil-centric, no?

My objection to Miami, or anywhere near Broward-Dade, has nothing to do with an argument over the location of "the epicenter of the Western Hemishpere".  It has to do with the area containing more white collar crooks and scoundrels than pretty much anywhere else in the western hemisphere.  Bitcoin already has its share of these scammers preying on the unsuspecting.  Bringing Bitcoin discussion to Broward-Dade is just inviting the scum of all scum regardless of ethnicity. Only two kinds of businessmen exist in Broward-Dade; the scammer and the scammed.  Of course this is just my opinion.

Put me down for Argentina!

There is more than just crooks here, although South Florida has been designated a High Intensity Financial Crime Area (HIFCA) by FinCEN.  On the other hand, we have a very active startup culture, and we are looking at ways to use Bitcoin and crowdfunding to help people in Latin America and the Caribbean gain access to US capital markets.

The plan is to hold the first meeting in Miami and then take a vote among those present for the next location.  Judging by my conversations, Argentina, Chile, and Colombia are likely places.

I had no idea about the dubious distinction of HIFCA. I was speaking from experience. There are some amazing people in South Florida; many of them Latin American. I would be interested in hearing about your ideas regarding crowd-funding and helping Latin Americans access much needed and deserved capital.  

Buy my PS3 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=216554.msg2282760#msg2282760

Sign up with campbx:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=3lo7dSqrLOu Yes it's an affiliate link, but you will not see me touting anything I do not both believe in and make extensive use of myself. Campbx is one of those things.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: