Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:48:41 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I have decided to invest in Quantum Resistant Ledger (QRL) now  (Read 978 times)
martingore (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:33:42 PM

The topic of quantum resistance is a complex topic, at least for me. When QRL came up a month or so ago, I recall moving on fast. Today it came up again, and as a result, decided to stop and spend time on the official website (theqrl.org), and figure out if this is a project I want and should invest in.

What is The QRL : 

“The QRL is a cryptocurrency ledger which is designed from the outset to be resistant to both classical and quantum computing attack. It uses a different system of cryptography to bitcoin (and all other altcoins) known as hash-based digital signatures which are quantum-resistant.  The ledger will be the first to experiment with quantum-resistant signatures whilst providing an ultra secure backup store of value in the event of a sudden advance in quantum computing. The initial aim of the chain is to offer a low volume of ultra secure transactions in the first iteration with guaranteed longevity. “

More about QRL here:  http://cryptopotato.com/qrl-taking-quantum-computers/

These facts convinced me today to invest:

1. One of the key points I look for when evaluating a potential investment is timing, and it seems in that regard, my reacquaintance with QRL today, is incredibly well timed.  Next month, or early October,  QRL’s mainnet goes live with its Genesis block.    The actual blockchain goes live!

Kaushal Kumar Singh, one of the core developer on the team, confirmed the following in their Slack channel:  “The first hardcoded block created into the blockchain is the Genesis block. This block includes the list of stake validators for the first epoch. Mainnet is expected to be on September/October. Currently, it will be released with ephemeral messaging feature. As ephemeral messaging is in the roadmap for the month of October. Rest of the features such as VPN, VoIP would be planned between the year 2018 to 2019. The exact month would be released once the mainnet is live with ephemeral messaging”.

2. Dr Peter Waterland, the founder and core developer of the project, explained to me the differences between the Quantum resistance offered by QRL, NEO and Ethereum’s upcoming Metropolis.

NEO :

There are different candidate post-quantum signature schemes in existence. Hash-based signatures have minimal security requirements and XMSS which is used in the QRL is PQ-crypto recommended. Lattice- based crypto is another type of signature which is thought to be Quantum resistant (indeed we will be using it for our Ephemeral messaging layer. Our resident post-quantum cryptographer doesn't feel lattice-based crypto is mature enough to secure accounts/addresses. The bottom line is that currently NEO doesn't contain lattice-based addresses and what they are saying is they may add such address types in the future.”

ETH Metropolis:

ETH has quantum-safe address types on their roadmap. Whether they appear in metropolis is anyone’s guess. Quantum-safe signatures are massive and so high volume blockchains like ethereum would immediately choke if they moved towards them..

If it does appear, is there still an advantage to QRL over it?

Yes. Firstly, we are using hash-based signatures, which only rely upon the cryptographic hash algorithm. In contrast, lattice-based signatures may in the future be broken. Secondly, once a fully error corrected QC emerges it will not matter if you have some addresses protected in QC-safe addresses. Prices of all tokens not completely secure will move to zero. If 5% of ETH is in unprotected standard ECDSA addresses with exposed public keys, then when a QC computer emerges those coins can be trivially stolen. Now if the other 95% of ETH are safely stored away in QC addresses then everyone might be feeling very safe.. But actually 5% is more than enough to crash the price to cents. The only true protection is 100% security of all ledger addresses. . So the QRL is taking the view that we are making our ledger completely 100% secure and are choosing the most robust signature scheme and hashing algorithm possible.  This isn’t something major chains will want to do because it basically increases block sizes massively. So we get roadmaps and possible QC-safe address options..We are being proactive and building something irrefutably secure from genesis block."

3. Market cap is at a small $29 mil (!!) with the token trading at around  55-60 cents $. Truly undervalued, with massive potential of gains in the short to  medium run.

QRL is an ERC-20 token for now until the blockchain launches, where one will be able to swap the tokens to new ones.

I expect very nice gains with the launch of the blockchain next month or early October. I believe if the media catch up, things could get very interesting!

Trading on Bittrex :

https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=eth-QRL
https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=btc-QRL

bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:37:57 PM

Why not squash two flies with one stone and go with a project like this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2041169.0

"ERC-20 token"

Oh, because it's an ICO shitcoin/cashgrab/gambling BS, nevermind me then.

Not your keys, not your coins!
martingore (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:57:26 PM

Why not squash two flies with one stone and go with a project like this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2041169.0

"ERC-20 token"

a white paper is not a project .. just yet
i will 100% take a look though, as it does sound interesting.

I suggest you do the same with QRL.. as unlike the one you directed me to, this one is actually going live in Sep/Oct and is the first of its kind to actually reach that point

QRL is not "ICO shitcoin/cashgrab/gambling BS" . spend some time on it.. I did. you might end up happy you did. I am!
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 05:11:35 PM

"ERC-20 token"

I suggest you do the same with QRL.. as unlike the one you directed me to, this one is actually going live in Sep/Oct and is the first of its kind to actually reach that point

QRL is not "ICO shitcoin/cashgrab/gambling BS" . spend some time on it.. I did. you might end up happy you did. I am!

Every single ERC-20 tokens are lazy cashgrabs scams. There's literally zero reasons to start a project with the stink of being a noob-friendly plug-and-play coin with the stench of all the failed(/or intended scam) ICOs coming from ERC-20 tokens.

If the devs are confident in their projects they should fund it themselves or find outside investors. Otherwise you get a centralization of funds which goes against everything that crypto stand for - simple as that.

You might be happy but you sure as shit don't care about what crypto is all and simply speaking you're just a gambler looking for a quick cashgrab. There's nothing wrong with gambling - as long as you're honest about it but ERC-20 token "investors" (e.g. gamblers) are generally lazy and intend to take huge risks in the hopes of high returns completely ignoring the idea of cryptos.

martingore (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 07:53:16 PM

"ERC-20 token"

Every single ERC-20 tokens are lazy cashgrabs scams. There's literally zero reasons to start a project with the stink of being a noob-friendly plug-and-play coin with the stench of all the failed(/or intended scam) ICOs coming from ERC-20 tokens.

If the devs are confident in their projects they should fund it themselves or find outside investors. Otherwise you get a centralization of funds which goes against everything that crypto stand for - simple as that.

You might be happy but you sure as shit don't care about what crypto is all and simply speaking you're just a gambler looking for a quick cashgrab. There's nothing wrong with gambling - as long as you're honest about it but ERC-20 token "investors" (e.g. gamblers) are generally lazy and intend to take huge risks in the hopes of high returns completely ignoring the idea of cryptos.

you know what your rant just proved ? that you didnt even read anything i shared here. again!

the QRL was offered to the public as an ERC-20 token to create funding for the project. The project is a blockchain with its OWN token, and that has ZERO to do with Ethereum or ERC-20 tokens. I wrote : "QRL is an ERC-20 token for now until the blockchain launches, where one will be able to swap the tokens to new ones. " !!!

Now, instead of being obsessed with one small insignificant temporary point about this project, why not spend the time to read about it and make your self aware of what this actually is. ? you care so much about the purity and authenticity of crypto, them read about The QRL, as you might end up being impressed by a group of hardcore guys who have come up with an incredibly impressive result!

"You might be happy but you sure as shit don't care about what crypto is all and simply speaking you're just a gambler looking for a quick cashgrab. There's nothing wrong with gambling " :  not going to waste a second with that bs..

bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 01:03:54 AM

An ICO is an ICO - regardless if it's on Eth or not.

dbc23

Activity: 1036
Merit: 311

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 02:10:43 AM

"ERC-20 token"

I'd say tokenized assets have some potential very positive use cases, but agree completely that almost all iCOs are going to be cashgrab vaporware.  I foresee the coming ICO floppening as the dotcom bubble of crypto.

At least those who invested wisely in that bubble could've still made tons of money in the early 21st century when the industry caught up.
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 02:12:44 AM

You can do whatever you want but I do not think we are even close to create a quantum computer capable of breaking the current algorithms, while some people speculate that we may be far more advanced I think it is going to take a lot of time, similar to what happens to robots.
overttherainbow

Activity: 243
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 03:15:36 AM

An ICO is an ICO but I don't see what that point proves to be honest. Many ICOs have gained incredible ROIs, even relative to the price of Ethereum, and many are actually decent ideas with sensible teams and realistic goals.

One of the ICOs I've been looking at that I think is a good idea is Ambrosus. This ICO is an ICO... until it isn't.

martingore (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 05:01:22 AM

An ICO is an ICO - regardless if it's on Eth or not.

this is not an ICO though..
Remulos

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 08:33:13 PM

I've invested a (very) small amount in QRL but it's not really about ROI, it's more that I think it's important to start researching these things.

You can do whatever you want but I do not think we are even close to create a quantum computer capable of breaking the current algorithms, while some people speculate that we may be far more advanced I think it is going to take a lot of time, similar to what happens to robots.

I agree but there is a lot of money being put towards researching technologies that are decades away and very little money going towards more niche applications of it. Sure there's a lot of money going into quantum computing and there's a lot of money going into crypto currency so I think we can be fairly confident in doing that they will both be part of our future. What there isn't much money in is how well these technologies will interact with each other and what the dangers are. I'm not quite the zealot that OP seems to be but I would resent a little bit of money being lost to QRL of it means that another company in the future has done ects information to work with.

And who knows, there might be a 1000% ROI in 5 years  Wink
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 07:06:28 PM

I've invested a (very) small amount in QRL but it's not really about ROI, it's more that I think it's important to start researching these things.

I agree but there is a lot of money being put towards researching technologies that are decades away and very little money going towards more niche applications of it. Sure there's a lot of money going into quantum computing and there's a lot of money going into crypto currency so I think we can be fairly confident in doing that they will both be part of our future. What there isn't much money in is how well these technologies will interact with each other and what the dangers are. I'm not quite the zealot that OP seems to be but I would resent a little bit of money being lost to QRL of it means that another company in the future has done ects information to work with.

And who knows, there might be a 1000% ROI in 5 years  Wink
Do not get me wrong quantum computers are going to exist but I think it is going to be a lot harder than scientist may think, for how many decades we have been promised robots and we are not close to have one in our homes at an affordable price, so no one should worry that much about quantum computers.
sp_skeptic

Activity: 110
Merit: 14

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 02:47:19 AM

A "quantum" development in quantum computers?

"A radical new architecture for quantum computing, based on novel ‘flip-flop’ qubits, promises to make the large-scale manufacture of quantum chips dramatically cheaper – and easier – than thought possible. The new chip design, by Australian engineers at UNSW and published in the journal Nature Communications, allows for a silicon quantum processor that can be scaled up without the precise placement of atoms required in other approaches."

“Our new silicon-based approach sits right at the sweet spot,” said Morello, a professor of quantum engineering at UNSW. “It’s easier to fabricate than atomic-scale devices, but still allows us to place a million qubits on a square millimetre.”

https://www.scimex.org/newsfeed/flip-flop-qubits-radical-new-quantum-computing-design-invented
sp_skeptic

Activity: 110
Merit: 14

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 03:14:06 AM

https://futurism.com/google-just-revealed-how-theyll-build-quantum-computers/

"This breakthrough may mean quantum supremacy is months away."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: