Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:49:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TradeFortress VERY untrustworthy, owes me 10.15 BTC, possibly others.  (Read 11303 times)
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 08:33:30 AM

And you were abusing ripple system by a way it's not even meant to be used

How long does it take till Ripple shills recognize that it's a flaw in Ripple (valuing debt as binary)?

FYI you can trust very trusted parties ONLY (bitstamp for example) and you don't need to trust other individuals. You just need a link (usually via these super trusted parties that are actual well-handled companies in the real world.). Yes, it's debt only (except XRP that is not debt) and anyone can issue any currency debt in the network.
When you use MtGox or Bitstamp or any 3rd party system with your bitcoins, you're trusting them with your coins. This exactly same thing happens in Ripple. When you trust someone with your coins, you can't be 100% sure do you get them back when you want.

Did you actually trust someone in ripple that took the bitcoins that were trusted to you?

Ripple isn't supposed to work like that. OpenCoin WANTS you to trust all of your friends, et alii.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anduck
Legendary

Activity: 1511
Merit: 1072

quack

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:34:29 AM

How long does it take till Ripple shills recognize that it's a flaw in Ripple (valuing debt as binary)?

FYI you can trust very trusted parties ONLY (bitstamp for example) and you don't need to trust other individuals. You just need a link (usually via these super trusted parties that are actual well-handled companies in the real world.). Yes, it's debt only (except XRP that is not debt) and anyone can issue any currency debt in the network.
When you use MtGox or Bitstamp or any 3rd party system with your bitcoins, you're trusting them with your coins. This exactly same thing happens in Ripple. When you trust someone with your coins, you can't be 100% sure do you get them back when you want.

Did you actually trust someone in ripple that took the bitcoins that were trusted to you?

Ripple isn't supposed to work like that. OpenCoin WANTS you to trust all of your friends, et alii.

No. You should only trust TRUSTED PARTIES. When you trust someone, it's basically giving them that amount of funds.

DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 08:35:14 AM

No. You should only trust TRUSTED PARTIES. When you trust someone, it's basically giving them that amount of funds.

Okay, so you trust all these "TRUSTED PARTIES". Then what happens if, say, Bitstamp ups and runs? (not that they will)

Anduck
Legendary

quack

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:36:15 AM

When you and all your friends trust TRUSTED PARTY (like Bitstamp now again), it doesn't matter if one of your friends or ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS end up to be scammers. You won't lose anything unless this TRUSTED PARTY fails you. All the transactions in the ripple network are routed through the link between you and your friends. You dont need to make the link straight to your friends and it's highly dangerous.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:36:25 AM

What is your point? Are you friends with all your friends on Facebook and do you follow all your Twitter followers around in real life? Have you thrown your friends into circles when you added them to a circle on Google+?
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:37:17 AM

Okay, so you trust all these "TRUSTED PARTIES". Then what happens if, say, Bitstamp ups and runs? (not that they will)
You lose your money, which is not a question of if but rather when because Bitstamp is not complying with US fiat AML/KYC regulations, and eventually will be seized even if they're offshore.
Anduck
Legendary

quack

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:37:19 AM

What is your point? Are you friends with all your friends on Facebook and do you follow all your Twitter followers around in real life? Have you thrown your friends into circles when you added them to a circle on Google+?

How is that relevant?

Just answer my question, please.

Anduck
Legendary

quack

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:38:18 AM

You lose your money.

Exactly. Same happens to everyone that has money at MtGox if Gox runs. Isn't that very obvious? If you have money on your paypal account and paypal runs, you lose your money.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:39:46 AM

How is that relevant?

I trust anyone that asks for trust on Ripple. Are you going to say this is an "abuse"? Whatever.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:40:41 AM

The simple fact is that I did actions that enabled other unrelated people to take BTC using a flaw in Ripple. It is ripple's fault for having that debt model.
Anduck
Legendary

quack

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:42:51 AM

How is that relevant?

I trust anyone that asks for trust on Ripple. Are you going to say this is an "abuse"? Whatever.

So these people trusted you and you chose to trust someone too. The thing is, they trust you and you only, not the people you've chosen to trust.

This means you're the scammer if you don't pay your debts. If you loan money to someone and they don't pay you.. It doesn't give you the right to deny payback of debt to people who borrowed from you. You can't "transfer" loan. Do we agree?

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:44:31 AM

So these people trusted you and you chose to trust someone too. The thing is, they trust you and you only, not the people you've chosen to trust.

This means you're the scammer if you don't pay your debts. If you loan money to someone and they don't pay you.. It doesn't give you the right to deny payback of debt to people who borrowed from you. You can't "transfer" loan. Do we agree?

No. If you friend someone on Facebook you don't go to jail if you are not buddies with them.

Trusting someone is not a binding contract, it does not mean anything. It is not scamming if you trust someone that you don't trust.
Anduck
Legendary

quack

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:46:16 AM

No, this does not. If you friend someone on Facebook you don't go to jail if you are not buddies with them.

Trusting someone is not a binding contract, it does not mean anything. It is not scamming if you trust someone that you don't trust.

Trust in ripple means that you're willing to loan them that amount of funds. Trust in ripple doesn't equal to being friends.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:48:33 AM

Trust in ripple means that you're willing to loan them that amount of funds. Trust in ripple doesn't equal to being friends.

But that's pointless as it is a contractless loan, or more accurately a gift. I'm loaning them a perpetual loan with no repayment date.

This is why trust and debt in Ripple are meaningless - there are no terms whatsoever. In fact Ripple makes no distinction of BTC, USD, EUR other than the 3 letters, and people will claim that they mean ByTeCoin instead of Bitcoin, etc.
Anduck
Legendary

quack

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:50:06 AM

Person A gives a loan to person B.
Person B gives a loan to person C.
Person C scams person B and doesn't pay the loan back.
Person B tells person A he won't pay back to person A because person C didn't pay person B back.

Is that how you do things in real life?
Nope, person B still has to pay back to person A even when person C scammed person B. If he doesn't, person B is a scammer too.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 08:53:09 AM

Person B tells person A he won't pay back to person A because person C didn't pay person B back.

Nope, person B still has to pay back to person A even when person C scammed person B. If he doesn't person B is a scammer too.

No. I already paid "person A" with BTC on Ripple. I've clearly advertised my threads as Ripple Bitcoins, Bitcoins on Ripple, etc.

They are debt, but they have no terms and cannot be redeemed. They're also sent for free.

This is equivalent to selling something like.. Pirate BTC and the buyer complaining when they can't redeem.
Anduck
Legendary

quack

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 09:00:20 AM

Nope, person B still has to pay back to person A even when person C scammed person B. If he doesn't person B is a scammer too.

No. I already paid "person A" with BTC on Ripple. I've clearly advertised my threads as Ripple Bitcoins, Bitcoins on Ripple, etc.

They are debt, but they have no terms and cannot be redeemed. They're also sent for free.

This is equivalent to selling something like.. Pirate BTC and the buyer complaining when they can't redeem.

Total of 11 BC sent. Thank you.
You need to follow the steps before I can send you the BTC.
Sent a bunch of BTCs.

Just a few quotes by you from https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=206948.0

Too bad I can't see the original first post because it's been edited and the topic is self moderated.

You mislead them purposely to think they would get something else than a DEBT issued by you.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 09:04:05 AM

Sent a bunch of BTCs.

Too bad I can't see the original first post because it's been edited and the topic is self moderated.

You mislead them purposely to think they would get something else than a DEBT issued by you.

1 free Ripple BTC giveaway - just post address!

This is in the title. It is impossible to not read it before go to the topic.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 09:05:16 AM

Sent a bunch of BTCs.

In ripple, they were given 1 BTC. 1 Ripple BTC, which was clearly stated in the title. 1 Ripple BTC is a token worth nothing unless it is backed, I could write a piece of paper with "1 BTC" on it and it would have the same value.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 09:07:56 AM

I could write a piece of paper with "1 BTC" on it and it would have the same value.

That'd have significantly more value for the paper it was wrote on.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: