Bitcoin Forum
August 19, 2024, 04:27:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a BCH balance, but can't retrieve it - REWARD OFFERED  (Read 331 times)
heniferlopez (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 10:26:53 PM

Hello there,
To try and give as much info as possible - here is the background to where I'm at now....   

First bought bitcoin in early 2014, have been using blockchain.info as my wallet (with 2FA & all the extra security)
Back then, HD wallets weren't around. 90% of my bitcoin was held in a single address.
Years later, I log into BC.info and get told that HD wallets are here & would I like to upgrade to one - and transfer any old addresses into this HD wallet. Yes, I do that.
In hindsight, I now realise BC.info imported this old address - but I don't think it fully 'transferred' the funds into the HD wallet - it merely became a custodian for the address, if that makes sense.
The recovery phrase for this old address, was more of a hash for the password to it (eg way more words than are used in a modern, 12-word wallet seed)

So before I start anything with trying to claim my Bitcoin Cash (BCH) - I decide it would be prudent to create a new wallet & move all my coins there. That way if any website for BCH is dodgy, I will only be exposing my wallet seed for a now empty BTC wallet. (but I'm figuring the transaction history will still be there to prove my ownership of BCH)
When I move my funds, I notice I have to do 2x separate transactions - one for the 10% of my coins held in the new HD wallet - but almost as a separate 'balance' I have to do another transaction for the 90% of my coins that were from the old (non-HD) address. I couldn't do it in one go.  Anyway, that's done now. Coins safe.

I have used BCH block explorers (like Blockchair) and they confirm that I hold a positive BCH balance from that old BTC address (that had 90% of my coins in)
I first use the BTC.com tool, that was mentioned in a recent blog post. This worked fairly successfully, in that the 10% of my BTC was credited into BCH (which was newer, and from the HD wallet format) - but it didn't credit the other coins in that old address.
So then I try downloading the Electron Cash wallet - and using the private key (that I can get from BC.info) I use the tool for Wallet/Private Keys/Sweep - and I get a message back saying there are no inputs.
I also try using the Android app Coinomi - and much the same thing happens, I use the private key and I get told Zero balance

So how can I have a positive BCH balance on block explorers (which confirm I had a funded wallet pre-fork) - and I have the private key for this address....    Yet I still can't get access to my BCH

If anyone can give me some pointers, I would very much appreciate it! 
Thanks for reading

In fact - first correct answer to this, that results in me getting access to my BCH (and I will probably have to check back tomorrow, now) - I promise that if I can successfully get my BCH - I will send that person $50 worth of BCH (at whatever the exchange rate is when it's solved).   
heniferlopez (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 11:04:10 PM

so the comments section of this blog post, seem to exactly match what I've been describing...      and because I have moved coins (prior to giving a 3rd party my wallet seed! why wouldn't you?!) - it now looks like it's impossible for me to get the BCC...       god's sake Sad

http://www.coinpurveyor.com/how-to/how-to-claim-bitcoin-cash-from-blockchain-wallet/
ivanst776
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 11:24:39 PM

It's strange that only the 10% is credited but not the 90% amount of Bitcoin Cash.

Can you please go step by step through this Guide and let us know if this worked for you.

Step by Step How to Claim Bitcoin Cash Balance and Exchange into Bitcoins
heniferlopez (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 11:28:43 PM

I think this thread may die off now - because this blog post has been released by blockchain.info:

https://blog.[Suspicious link removed]/2017/08/22/bitcoin-cash-update/

Also, the user comments in this blog post are describing my exact problem...   it must be because it's an imported address (which holds 90% of my coins)
Plus, I've moved them after Aug 01 (so as not to have my 12 word seed fall into the wrong hands) - this also seems to be a problem

Might have to wait the 8 weeks for BC.info to release their own tool   :-/
heniferlopez (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 11:35:29 PM

i did try that step by step guide and no, didn't work

Keep getting told I have a zero balance - even though the blockchair block explorer shows I do have a positive balance of BCH
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: