Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:27:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: satoshi wallet - move to different PC?  (Read 970 times)
candtalan (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 07:54:58 PM

Portability of satoshi wallet (?)
I have a couple of PCs, each has a mostly current bitcoin-qt blockchain and its own individual satoshi wallet. (I think I am using correct terms here). One wallet is empty, the other wallet has some micro bitcoins.
Is it OK to swap the wallets over, each to the other machine? I am guessing that the blockchain is independent of the wallet, and the wallets will get synced (?) in their new system  as normal? If so, is this another way of saying that any one of a number of wallets could be 'plugged in' to the system, and then run, each wallet existing with its own contents etc etc (?)
Comment would be appreciated, tia.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:18:19 AM

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do, but my best guess is that (based on what you've said) it is probably possible to accomplish whatever it is.  It might require some technical knowledge to avoid issues that might result in the permanent loss of whatever bitcoins you have remaining right now.
candtalan (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:30:23 AM

I had to use a second machine because the first turned out to have a ram problem. So after I sorted out the ram problem, I was left with two machines running stuff, each with a wallet. I like to run bitcoin-qt because it supports the p2p nature of bitcoin, and I as I understand it, the wallet can be empty for this to work, so I kept the repaired installation as an empty wallet. It has a full current blockchain, is secure, (well, empty wallet), and can run as a p2p supporting the btc system.
The second machine always worked ok, and its wallet now has some micro btc.
I want to manage my machines - move them around for different purposes etc. I cannot be certain that the new function/s will be appropriate for btc work. I have a number of machines, more than one user, etc. That is partly why I ask about the portability of the satoshi wallet.
So I would like to impose a wallet into a bitcoin-qt configuration, and them run the bitcoin-qt. Will this work ok or does the wallet somehow have a specific relationship with its bitcoin-qt configuration?
tia
fghj

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:41:44 AM

Portability of satoshi wallet (?)
I have a couple of PCs, each has a mostly current bitcoin-qt blockchain and its own individual satoshi wallet. (I think I am using correct terms here). One wallet is empty, the other wallet has some micro bitcoins.
Is it OK to swap the wallets over, each to the other machine? I am guessing that the blockchain is independent of the wallet, and the wallets will get synced (?) in their new system  as normal? If so, is this another way of saying that any one of a number of wallets could be 'plugged in' to the system, and then run, each wallet existing with its own contents etc etc (?)
Comment would be appreciated, tia.
Yes, you only need to copy wallet.dat to your other machine (into bitcoin datadir), make copies of both wallets (and rename copies to something that will tell you which one it is) before you overwrite any of the wallet.dat files. It will sync itself and if it doesn't you run qt with rescan option.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: