Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:30:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a whale?  (Read 4508 times)
Oceat

Activity: 2506
Merit: 368

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 06:49:17 PM

A whale is a crypto term to describe a person who has a huge number of coin that can move or manipulate market. I guess if you have a 500BTC you can be called whale.

I think it is 100BTC enough

Grin I think depend on marketcap of coin u invest... it marketcap is only 10k for total of this coin... Cheesy U have 10 BTC. U will becam a whale in that market

Yes it can but most probably i think hundred of btc are considered as a whale.
It probably depends on how you invest and how much market manipulate that price. Yes you can be whale if you have 100BTC in market right now. You can change the whole price charts in coming days if you sell these bitcoins. You are being a whale can change the businesses of many people Tongue
Being a Whale is a big impact to the price of bitcoin, that's why if those Whales are going to manipulate the price make sure you are ready and you are always on the watch list of the bitcoin price. And also i have a feeling that those whales are going to move again when the next fork is going to happen this coming November.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rublix

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2017, 12:52:44 AM

A true whale will not only posses a large amount of cryptos/bitcoins but will have experience in the industry and have a vast knowledge in blockchain technology or the cryptos space in general.
deddod

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 01:14:38 AM

The whale is a person / company that has a lot of funds to control a trade. Whale often appear in poloniex market. usually whale has funds around 100-1000 BTC or more.

▄█▄
   ██▀  ▄█▄
  ██▀  ▄█▀  ▄▀
 ██▀  ▄█▀  ▄▀
▐█▌  ▄█▀  ▄▀
██   ██  
██   ██  
██   ██  
▐█▌  ▀█▄  ▀▄
 ██▄  ▀█▄  ▀▄
  ██▄  ▀█▄  ▀▄
   ██▄  ▀█▀
    ▀█▀
████
▀▀▀▀
▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████████▐████
▀▀     ▄▄▄▄▄▀██████████▐████
▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████▀ ▀▄▄▄     ▐████
▀▀     ▄▀███▄▄▄▄       ▐████
▄▄   ▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▐████
▀▄▄▀▀▀▀▀██████████████▐████
▄▄   ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▐████

▀▄▄▀▀▀  ██████           ▐████
██████▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▐████

▄▄  ████▀▄██████████▐████
▀▄▄▀▀▀▀ ▄████████████▐████
BIDIUM       ▄█▄
   ▄█▄
  ▀██

▀▄  ▀█▄  ▀██
 ▀▄  ▀█▄  ▀██
  ▀▄  ▀█▄  ▐█▌
   █   ██   ██
   █   ██   ██
   █   ██   ██
  ▄▀  ▄█▀  ▐█▌
 ▄▀  ▄█▀  ▄██
▄▀
  ▄█▀  ▄██
   ▀█▀
  ▄██
       ▀█▀

Oo ako to

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 02:02:25 AM

My own definition of a whale are the guys that I need to pump my altcoin to the moon. I can spot many of them in polo and bittrex.
risk91

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 02:54:10 PM

My own definition of a whale are the guys that I need to pump my altcoin to the moon. I can spot many of them in polo and bittrex.

Whale is not bumper who use to do it. Actually they will be people im adoption and technically strong in blockchain and crypto coding who do the basic coding.
Try to invest on bitcoin to become a whale to bump the bitcoin price value.
Sadnu

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 03:46:29 PM

As far as I know it is the big investors who can manipulate the trend of an Altcoins so they can increase the price. And it can also cost the price for a single moment. When the so-called whale is selling the price it can change an altcoins many people are caught up in here because the altcoins reasonably rise due to the purchase quantity here. But they did not know that it was the whales. So much is caught up and others are forced to sell their coins at low prices.
Fatunad

Activity: 2226
Merit: 347

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 04:14:06 PM

Whale is not bumper who use to do it. Actually they will be people im adoption and technically strong in blockchain and crypto coding who do the basic coding.
Your sentence is really confusing. We are talking on what is a whale. Bumper can still be considered as term on ability of them to pump prices and theres nothing to do with those coding stuffs that you do mention. Theres no connection on it.Investing on bitcoin on smaller amounts isnt considered as whale.If you do have thousand or hundreds of thousands then you can consider to call yourself a whale.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
digitalgame4life

Activity: 378
Merit: 105

Active forum member, A+ poster, PM good sign camp.

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 04:48:37 PM

A whale is nothing more than a rich guy or bot that affects the market of a coin by simply buying over time when the price is low(accumulating) when he has bought enough usually they make an announcement that the coin is gonna moon, once people are affected they buy and buy till price of coin is doubled up or maybe trippled up, once the price is high enough a whale dumps the coin selling it and getting away with profits, the buyers who bought at high price have now made a loss since they sell it for a much cheaper price..

Kiweikoo

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 04:47:43 AM

A whale is nothing more than a rich guy or bot that affects the market of a coin by simply buying over time when the price is low(accumulating) when he has bought enough usually they make an announcement that the coin is gonna moon, once people are affected they buy and buy till price of coin is doubled up or maybe trippled up, once the price is high enough a whale dumps the coin selling it and getting away with profits, the buyers who bought at high price have now made a loss since they sell it for a much cheaper price..
That's true. All those creatures that can affect the price of our assets are called whales. The word "whale" is used for millionaires to because of the huge amount they possess. Obviously, money is also a form of power so they are powerful guys who bring dramatic changes in market.
PokerFace3

Activity: 700

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:05:44 PM

That's true. All those creatures that can affect the price of our assets are called whales. The word "whale" is used for millionaires to because of the huge amount they possess. Obviously, money is also a form of power so they are powerful guys who bring dramatic changes in market.
And they can make price charts following up or going down. You are right, power is money and money is power. They have power to change to the whole scenario of markets. Many times we see the price just plunge, it may involve loss of even one person that follow up throughout the market.
iram3130
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1010

ITSMYNE 🚀 Talk NFTs, Trade NFTs 🚀

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 05:29:46 PM

In my opinion, a whale is one who can pump or dump a coin single handedly. So it can be anyone with any coin. Bitcoin whale is one who has at least 50-100 BTC and uses them smartly.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
AleSergio

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

BuyAnyLight - Blockchain LED Marketplace

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 06:40:23 PM

I think that whales are people who hold about 5-10% ammount of bitcoins or some other altcoins. I cannot tell exactly how much it would be worth in bitcoin, but if they dump their 10% token, we will see a huge drop of price.

▄▄▄▄▄           
       ▄▄███████████▄▄     
   ▄▄███████████████████▄▄ 
█████████████████████████████
████      ▀██▀  ▀██  ████████
████  ███   █    ██  ████████
████       █  ██  █  ████████
████  ███            ████████
████         █████        ███
█████████████████████████████
   ▀▀███████████████████▀▀ 
       ▀▀███████████▀▀     
            ▀▀▀▀▀           
.BUYANYLIGHT.

Hoganye

Activity: 625
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 06:45:47 PM

Your sentence is really confusing. We are talking on what is a whale. Bumper can still be considered as term on ability of them to pump prices and theres nothing to do with those coding stuffs that you do mention. Theres no connection on it.Investing on bitcoin on smaller amounts isnt considered as whale.If you do have thousand or hundreds of thousands then you can consider to call yourself a whale.
I think depend the volume and market cap of altcoin we are trading, we can call them are a whale or just is fish or shark or dolphin haha. But if you want know what is a whale normal, they need have 100-1000 BTC if want become to whale Wink
Kriptex

Activity: 197

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 06:53:33 PM

I think depend the volume and market cap of altcoin we are trading, we can call them are a whale or just is fish or shark or dolphin haha. But if you want know what is a whale normal, they need have 100-1000 BTC if want become to whale Wink

Yes this is up to the coin we're talking about. If we're talking about an altcoin with low volume, you can become a whale only with 5-10 bitcoin.

If we're talking about high volume altcoins, 50-100 bitcoin may not be enough.
carlerha

Activity: 588

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 06:58:41 PM

As far as I know it is the big investors who can manipulate the trend of an Altcoins so they can increase the price. And it can also cost the price for a single moment. When the so-called whale is selling the price it can change an altcoins many people are caught up in here because the altcoins reasonably rise due to the purchase quantity here. But they did not know that it was the whales. So much is caught up and others are forced to sell their coins at low prices.
to me i think in present time the effect of such whales on the price of bitcoin is now decreasing. i am sure that with the passage of time their impact will continue decreasing because i know with the the passage of time the users are of bitcoin are increasing and therefore they are making bitcoin more and more stronger by investing more and more money in bitcoin, i am hopeful that in future there will not such manipulating from the big whale to effect the price of bitcoin.
jokowi

Activity: 867
Merit: 522

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 07:28:47 PM

To me, the market is like a storm, it can take everything away. But if we have a solid home, a method to fight the winds, we can overcome it easily.
J. Cooper

Activity: 294
Merit: 125

Alea iacta est

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 07:32:26 PM

Well in my opinion you can consider yourself a whale when you own atleast 1000 btc (4 mill USD). In that case you are part of a very small percentage in the community.
nicster551

Activity: 896
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 02:42:19 AM

to me i think in present time the effect of such whales on the price of bitcoin is now decreasing. i am sure that with the passage of time their impact will continue decreasing because i know with the the passage of time the users are of bitcoin are increasing and therefore they are making bitcoin more and more stronger by investing more and more money in bitcoin, i am hopeful that in future there will not such manipulating from the big whale to effect the price of bitcoin.
Yes I'm also hoping in the future that the whale didn't have much more power to manipulate the market of bitcoin because the popularity of bitcoin become huge and it's users also want the bitcoin price become big and earn a good profit.
hieuho381

Activity: 504
Merit: 105

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 03:58:37 AM

Well in my opinion you can consider yourself a whale when you own atleast 1000 btc (4 mill USD). In that case you are part of a very small percentage in the community.
If you have 4000BTC you can definitely adjust the price of all altcoin in a short time and this really is very easy for them because they do not need to think much but to get information from these investors really hard.
gribble

Activity: 966
Merit: 552

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 03:24:58 AM

What is your definition of a whale? How many BTCs do you need to have to be a whale?
In my personal of definition whale is the traders who can makes constant profit from trading activity, however the situation of the price for them price goes down or price goes up they always can makes money. I am not sure how much bitcoins be needed to be a whale, but the most important how many the constant profit from trading every day, week and month. That is big questions must be answered by traders than how much the amount of capital to be whale.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: