Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 04:25:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gpu cooling question  (Read 995 times)
Frogwithcancer (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 08:30:16 PM

Hi all

I have 2 Gpus in my rig and I wondering about cooling. I have two case fonts at the top on blowing up out of the case and one at the top back blowing out.

Would I be better moving the back fan to the side panel and blowing air in over the cards?
Or should I just buy another fan?
kodo

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 08:58:42 PM

Yea use water its the best cooling
madkind

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 09:01:11 PM

Water is good, but you need blocks, which cover the whole surface of the cards. Cheaper solutions cool your gpu properly, but your VRMs fry themselves. I think it does not worth it, I'll stick with air.
n0h0p3

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 09:09:00 PM

im only cooling my 3 7950´s with air ... no problem so far  Grin
watercooling is to expensive and not necessary for me.
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 09:25:32 PM

Water is good, but you need blocks, which cover the whole surface of the cards. Cheaper solutions cool your gpu properly, but your VRMs fry themselves. I think it does not worth it, I'll stick with air.

I just installed my water cooler at lunch today.  I have a 7970, with a Antec 920 (I believe the Antec 20 would have been enough).  Using 50Miner I'm getting 680 MH/s  @ 54 C.  Once I burn this in I'm going to switch it over to LTC using CGMiner directly.  The current limitation is the miner interface.  I do believe if I was using CGMiner directly I could get the GPU over clocked even more.

To that end the radiator doesn't fit in my box so it sits next to it.  Cosmetically, not so nice, but then I'm a guy I don't care.  It works.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 09:29:10 PM

Antec 620 is only like $55, get a DWOOD bracket for $6, cooper shim for $2 and thermal paste for $6.  You can go from  550 MH/s to 875 MH/s

So for $69 you can increase your output by 60%.  (Sorry in advance for the double negative) Seems like you cannot afford not to.

Not mention the noise lower.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
n0h0p3

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 09:32:15 PM

Antec 620 is only like $55, get a DWOOD bracket for $6, cooper shim for $2 and thermal paste for $6.  You can go from  550 MH/s to 875 MH/s

So for $69 you can increase your output by 60%.  (Sorry in advance for the double negative) Seems like you cannot afford not to.

this sounds really interesting. which settings you are running on your 7950´s to get 875MH/s ?
do you also have to change the voltage settings ?

tia
jamestown2035

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 09:32:30 PM

You need to make sure it stays cool.

ccplz

Activity: 243
Merit: 115

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:37:34 PM

I have a 7870xt and a 7950,now here's the problem,the card that is in the top PCI-E x16 slot always gets extreme temperatures.(Tried with both,the one on top always gets to 90-100 degrees celcius,while the bottom one stays cool at 75 max.)
I have a CoolerMaster HAF X tower,and have tried everything,but the temperature won't go down.
Anybody can suggest something other than watercooling?WC is too expensive and advanced for me,so I'd prefer fan cooling advice.
I recently ordered a Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm fan to add to the top,and a Spectre Pro 230mm fan to replace the front,will it suffice?
(Sorry if it seems like I'm invading the thread,hopefully any advice given should help the OP as well)

P.S. Noise is not an issue.
boobies

Activity: 29

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:48:52 PM

I have a 7870xt and a 7950,now here's the problem,the card that is in the top PCI-E x16 slot always gets extreme temperatures.(Tried with both,the one on top always gets to 90-100 degrees celcius,while the bottom one stays cool at 75 max.)
I have a CoolerMaster HAF X tower,and have tried everything,but the temperature won't go down.
Anybody can suggest something other than watercooling?WC is too expensive and advanced for me,so I'd prefer fan cooling advice.
I recently ordered a Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm fan to add to the top,and a Spectre Pro 230mm fan to replace the front,will it suffice?
(Sorry if it seems like I'm invading the thread,hopefully any advice given should help the OP as well)

lay the case on it's side rather than standing up, and keep the side panel off.
ccplz

Activity: 243
Merit: 115

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:53:47 PM

lay the case on it's side rather than standing up, and keep the side panel off.
I already have the side panel off,will it being on its side help that much?
I also forgot to mention that I have the rear fan turned the opposite way so it blows cold air rather than expel it,and have done the same with the top fan as well.
ole23

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:16:41 PM

You want to create pressure inside the case! Remember, the PSU pulls air out of the case, so you need fans pulling air in. Keeping pressure inside the case provides two things: one, keeps dust out due to the positive pressure inside, second, keeps cool air inside to be used by the GPUs fans. Also moving air from front to back works best. Try to keep the air moving in a straight line though out the case.

The rule of thumb is always try to have twice as much air coming in as you do going out. Move your cables around too, that obstructs airflow. Looking at pics of the case you said, it looks like the fans are down low and the PSU is on the bottom. what you are doing then is bring air in low and sending it straight out the back. I would also take the top fans and turn them around and turn them into pullers. The top PCIe card is right behind the bottom 5 1/4 slot, so i would get on of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835230041&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Hard+Drive+Cooling-_-N82E16835230041&gclid=CIHF-PHmpbcCFWRyQgod-CIAZw

Buy a good fan for the side, anything that moves more then 40CFM should be fine. Most people will say take the sides off or take the stuff out of the case and run it that way, but all you are doing is creating a hole for cold air to escape.
chaoztc

Activity: 24

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:16:01 AM

install a hvac system (but needs power)
or some peltier elements (need much more power).
Frogwithcancer (OP)

Activity: 31

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:02:17 AM

Wow didn't think it would spark such a debate.
I'm gonna give water cooling a miss but did anyone have a suggestion about the fan arrangement. 
kodo

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 04:10:34 PM

Gpu is important
esenminer

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 08:22:41 PM

Can you confirm 875 MH/S  from a single 7950? Maybe 675 MH/S?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 08:31:30 PM

Hi all

I have 2 Gpus in my rig and I wondering about cooling. I have two case fonts at the top on blowing up out of the case and one at the top back blowing out.

Would I be better moving the back fan to the side panel and blowing air in over the cards?
Or should I just buy another fan?
If your cards are <80*C under full load, don't worry about it. If you don't care much for aesthetics, simply removing the side panel like boobies suggested will often reduce hardware temps by a couple or few degrees at no cost. If you aren't too excited about that, you might want to consider "PCI" fans, which mount in the back I/O panel similar to how a GPU does. There aren't many manufacturers, and they're usually pretty flimsy, but they get the job done and they're cheap.

Not recommending this, but here's an example of what I'm talking about: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1470P80640

Alternately to all that, if you have the side panel open, grab a box fan laying around, put an air filter over it (super-cheap furnace filter is a great choice), and have it suck air out of the case (sometimes this might be bad.... see how your PSU and case fans are blowing air -- if you aren't conflicting with them, it's pretty freakin' effective). ETA: If all fans are blowing out, box fan should blow in.
tron1082

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

I've got the mind of a scientist

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 09:04:38 PM

I'm running 8 7970's in 2 milk crates with 2 $16 box fans. They run around 78C in a room with lots of space and 20 foot ceilings. I tried them in an office that was 12x12 and things got too hot pretty quick.  I'll have to mine more before I can afford a liquid cooled solution

DGC: D94C7TQdxLqPz5CtR47MigKwARqeTeUdAW  |  LTC: LazjxiafdkLw8HRWeyLrabU6f5zhyyrqEr  |  BTC: 1K5EP1DoE6fEmc2pwYXrbXbQbHcRvFee91  | I mine real coins, not trying to be the best at exercising.. my gpus.
AzureEngineer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 09:06:24 PM

I wonder if anyone has tried the "aquarium full of mineral oil" cooling method. If you've never heard of it, feel free to look it up. It is quite... amusing.

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.
buckus69

Activity: 27

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 09:34:30 PM

I just installed my water cooler at lunch today.  I have a 7970, with a Antec 920 (I believe the Antec 20 would have been enough).  Using 50Miner I'm getting 680 MH/s  @ 54 C.  Once I burn this in I'm going to switch it over to LTC using CGMiner directly.  The current limitation is the miner interface.  I do believe if I was using CGMiner directly I could get the GPU over clocked even more.

To that end the radiator doesn't fit in my box so it sits next to it.  Cosmetically, not so nice, but then I'm a guy I don't care.  It works.

I'm curious how you installed the 920 on your video card since it's designed for CPU cooling, not video cards.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: