Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:31:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PCI-E based SHA 256 Mining Card  (Read 1334 times)
xingqiaoyin (OP)

Activity: 395
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 04:18:43 AM

Does anybody know why nobody are making this anymore ?

I mean there is a demand for mining gear at all levels. Not all miners buy mining gear for profit.
I used to deal in ASIC USB stick and this bitcoin price jump created lots of inquiries about my now extinct merchandises.

I mean if ASIC USB stick which is defo not profitable can sell, you could sell any miner heck bitmain even made a router that mines and is now sold out.

So why is there nobody making pcie based card ?I mean demand is not only profit driven. Some people mine just for the heck of it, some people want to learn about mining process at a low cost i.e university student doing research or a wannabe miner,  some people feel the need to support the network and so solo mine ... who knows he/she hit a jackpot and win 12,5 btc.

I guess it's about technicality or just not profitable to manufacture any ideas ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 10:56:57 AM

Why waste electricity putting a card into a PCIE interface which will require a computer running it (even MORE power), when you can have a simple FPGA like a Xilinx do all of that work for you through a special interface which uses much less power? Butterfly Labs specifically tried doing a PCIE based miner but nobody uses the PCIE part of it and just keeps the miner on its sled because there's too much of a hassle to do so. It pretty much makes no sense to do that. If you want to mine as a hobby there are MANY more ways to do so without the hassle of physically mounting it into a PCIE slot and connecting power inside a case or whatever the PC is in. If you are trying to hit the jackpot solomining Sidehack's Compacs, 2Pacs and future Bitfury miners are a much better way to do that than whatever big miners are out there today.
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2017, 11:21:31 AM

Only one in the history is the BFL Monarch and it is already outdated hardware.
https://www.amazon.com/BFL-Monarch-Water-Cooled-Bitcoin/dp/B00NBU7QEO

Plus it was manufactured by the scumbag company Butterfly Labs.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 08:07:29 PM

Can't crowd enough chips to do enough hashrate to make it worth doing.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
xingqiaoyin (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 05:38:49 AM

Can't crowd enough chips to do enough hashrate to make it worth doing.

miners are using risers with usb connector anyway. all bitmain need to do is switch their pin connectors to usb one.
I mean we have 19 pcie mobo coming in, working to make 8 gpus to work is quite a headache.
miners may do 6 amd gpu, 6 nvidia gpu and 7 sha256 hashboards and call it a day.
Elphamyto

Activity: 117
Merit: 16

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 01:38:42 PM

There is nothing to gain by doing that. The whole point of an ASIC is to allocate the burden of work to a microprocessor that is specifically design to do that work efficiently and fast (thus the name). Why connect a board of ASIC chips to a computer when a small ARM processor is more than enough to fetch and submit work over the network?
NiHaoMike

Activity: 236

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2017, 02:40:38 PM

some people want to learn about mining process at a low cost i.e university student doing research
There are used miners like S3 and Avalon 4 for that. Might not make much profit but the TH/s/$ might be decent enough to break even in a reasonable time and they're quiet enough to run in a dorm room. (GPU mining altcoins are a lot more profitable but GPUs are a bit hard to get right now.)

Because Bitcoin is light on bandwidth, PCIe offers no real advantage.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 03:20:15 PM

This would be a completely and utterly terrible idea. People that do not mine for profit can buy some crappy usb sticks and do it without having to open their computer.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
xingqiaoyin (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 03:38:19 AM

This would be a completely and utterly terrible idea. People that do not mine for profit can buy some crappy usb sticks and do it without having to open their computer.

the antminer l1 is a terrible idea yet they sell ... profit is not everything

There is nothing to gain by doing that. The whole point of an ASIC is to allocate the burden of work to a microprocessor that is specifically design to do that work efficiently and fast (thus the name). Why connect a board of ASIC chips to a computer when a small ARM processor is more than enough to fetch and submit work over the network?

why would someone buy a usb stick to mine ?
why would someone buy a router to mine ?
it's not logical but it SELLS...
electrobits

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2017, 06:49:02 PM

Maybe the thought of "more is merrier" I was thinking multiplexer board also. Then thought software only (there`s some goss of mobile phone apps around), looks like still need a processor & sha256 reading about Maxim`s 1-wire diagrams & parts (http://pdfserv.maximintegrated.com/en/an/AN3675.pdf).

the antminer l1 is a terrible idea yet they sell ... profit is not everything

why would someone buy a usb stick to mine ?
why would someone buy a router to mine ?
it's not logical but it SELLS...

So does Zoo Poo & books Grin You know, if the enterprise/adventure doesn`t pan out, grab metal detector & pan & go find some of the physical stuff.  Shocked Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: