Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 03:06:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Homeland Security raids mall kiosks, claims they "fund terrorists"  (Read 5729 times)
Severian (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 08:42:04 PM

Homeland Security raids mall kiosks

Ed Drantch
    Posted by: Emily Lenihan

AMHERST, N.Y. (WIVB) - Homeland Security investigators walked out with bags and boxes full of suspected counterfeit goods, after a raid at the Boulevard Mall. They seized cell phone cases and other merchandise that they believe violate trademark, copyright and intellectual property patents.

Three different kiosks were raided at the Boulevard Mall, late Monday morning. At the same time, stores were being raided at the Walden Galleria, in Cheektowaga.  Investigators served several search warrants there, seizing similar goods.

These warrants come after undercover agents purchased goods from these stores.  Investigators say these items were deemed fake by industry experts.

Homeland Security investigators say it is vital they stop the sale of these suspected counterfeit goods, because money spent could be going toward criminal networks.  Terrorist networks, HSI says, could be selling knock off goods to make money.

www.wivb.com/dpp/news/crime/homeland-security-raids-mall-kiosks
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 08:46:47 PM

Now that is fucked up.

Of course, the problem is they went to the wrong shops.  A trip to the cookware section to confiscate pressure cookers would inconvenience far more terrorists.
AzureEngineer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 09:52:28 PM

There is nothing wrong with seizing counterfeit products. Your sensationalist title skews the issue.

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 09:57:50 PM

There is nothing wrong with seizing counterfeit products. Your sensationalist title skews the issue.
This just in: The truth is now sensationalist.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
gramma

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 09:59:33 PM

It's not the seizure of counterfeit goods that's the problem - it's the sowing of FUD by tying it (everything?) to terrorism. 

Terrorists eat food, right?  Shut down the farms!

BTC: 1MrNRPo7p8DEyxn87c9BCGwrbatBQeCHc1
AzureEngineer

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:08:55 AM

No where in the article did any authority claim that the goods "fund terrorists." It states that they are sure it is organized crime that "could be terrorists." OP put words where they didn't exist solely to garner attention to an otherwise boring news article.

It's not the seizure of counterfeit goods that's the problem - it's the sowing of FUD by tying it (everything?) to terrorism. 

Then you didn't read the article.

Terrorists eat food, right?  Shut down the farms!

This is how things get out of control. Rather than read the article you prefer to read the title that the OP made up and then fan the flames by making more things up. Good job being a sheep.

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.
Severian (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:29:18 AM

Your sensationalist title skews the issue.

"Homeland Security does wellness check for corporate trademarks, naughty people found"

Is this better?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 01:33:31 AM

Your sensationalist title skews the issue.

"Homeland Security does wellness check for corporate trademarks, naughty people found"

Is this better?
Much.  Cheesy

Or maybe: "Homeland security now enforcing trademark law."

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Severian (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:33:48 AM

Only if it pertains to misdeeds of government. Wink
Severian (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:36:53 AM

Then you didn't read the article.

To repeat, since you seem made of dense stuff: DHS claimed it could be funding terrorist networks. They used the excuse, not me.
Severian (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:37:21 AM

Or maybe: "Homeland security now enforcing trademark law."

They can't even do that right.
AzureEngineer

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:55:46 AM

Is this better?

This is sensationalist as well. Depending on the counterfeiter, counterfeit items can be quite dangerous, as most cut costs by not abiding by health and safety standards. Saying counterfeit items are bad because it hurts corporations is silly.

To repeat, since you seem made of dense stuff: DHS claimed it could be funding terrorist networks. They used the excuse, not me.

Would you prefer the government allow what could be a terrorist fund to continue unabated? You're not making a whole lot of sense.

Severian (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:17:03 AM

Would you prefer the government allow what could be a terrorist fund to continue unabated?

Ah. Now the title isn't sensational.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:24:47 AM

Terrorists speed, therefor speeders may be terrorists, therefor DHS has jurisdiction. Did I get that right?
Severian (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:36:21 AM

Terrorists speed, therefor speeders may be terrorists, therefor DHS has jurisdiction. Did I get that right?

Spot on. Furtherly, terrorists breathe, anyone that breathes may be a terrorist.

The logic of government is pretty simple.
Epinnoia

Activity: 209

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:57:47 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2013, 04:01:45 AM by Epinnoia

This has absolutely nothing to do with counterfeit goods. It's about whether or not items are being sold underground. All sorts of products make it 'underground' -- not limited to merchants who report them stolen (for insurance purposes), and then sell them. Or it could be service members buying things tax-free in bulk at their 'commissaries', and attempting to make a profit reselling them. These items aren't the least-bit fake.  If you don't have a receipt trail, with all the 'i's dotted, and T's crossed, you can expect this sort of harassment.

This would normally be an FBI matter, or even local police. But local police and FBI are much more restrained in what they can do in such cases. But Homeland Security is able to dig much more deeply into your life -- without warrant or cause -- in dragnet types of investigations.

US Tax law currently mandates income taxes -- even on income from bitcoin sales.  Local taxes generally also apply -- insisting on the tax on the dollar value equivalent for the item being sold for bitcoins.  If you're dealing in large numbers of items, through bitcoin, and you aren't paying taxes, don't be surprised when they investigate you using 'counterfeiting laws' -- and confiscate your goods at customs or other shipping facilities.

My first miner -> ATI 4550 (7.2 Mh/sec): 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cryptospeculators/
AzureEngineer

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 04:13:50 AM

Ah. Now the title isn't sensational.

No, it still is. It is not only sensational, it is a complete lie.

Stampbit

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:13:48 AM

how do you raid a mall kiosk?
Severian (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:15:59 AM

No, it still is. It is not only sensational, it is a complete lie.

Since you keep moving the goalposts, your actual issue with the article is hard to ascertain: it's either a lie or I should be glad that DHS shut down a possible terrorist funding operation.

Which is it?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 05:38:27 AM

how do you raid a mall kiosk?
Well, you know how those shopkeepers terrorists are. You need 5, maybe 6 dozen fully-armed and armored troops.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: