Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:21:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If i send my bitcoins to a wrong address, what happens?  (Read 18002 times)
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:28:43 PM

Yes you lose them unless the stranger is kind enough to send them back.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vpitcher07

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:09:48 PM

Finally they let me post on here...  I learned the hard way and believe this post should be resurrected for newbs to the currency.  Don't let the "coin" part of bitcoin fool you into thinking it's not worth much.  On the other hand, realize that it is "coin".  Just like giving a rare coin to a homeless guy on the street, you MAY never see it again if you make a mistake...

I think a reason bitcoin is so difficult to understand for newbies is because it's name is so misguiding. Bitcoin is not a coin. It is not a physical thing. You can't touch it or hold it. It acts like cash but it in no way resembles cash. It's simply numbers assigned to addresses and that's it.

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:16:48 PM

If that happens on a regularly basis I might switch to "mine" addresses by creating new ones until I get one of those "forever lost" coins.

I've thought about that - I believe generating batches of keys and scanning the blockchain for keys with a balance is going to be prohibitively expensive. As in, not entirely unlike the lottery of running a solo cpu miner, but with vastly more variance in the payoff.

If you solo mine with a cpu you might get a block within 200 years which contains a few bitcoins plus transaction fees. If you generate keys of addresses and check to see if they hold anything, you might get a hit within 500000 years worth a few millibits or microbits.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 05:10:01 PM

It's simply numbers assigned to addresses and that's it.

It's not even that.  Numbers assigned to addresses is an abstraction that we humans use to make discussions about transfer of value easier.  Technically, the value is represented as a number that is encumbered with a requirement that must be met before being allowed to divide up and encumber portions of that number with a requirement of their own.
jongameson

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:28:24 PM

if you do.  just send an email to the owner of the incorrect answer and request your dough back?  why would there be an error?

btw there's a checksum in case you get one letter/number wrong.  but why would that happen? 
BingoDog

Activity: 658
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 03:45:23 PM

If you have send your coins to wrong address it's the same like you have lost them. Unless that other person don't pay you back which is not likely. Bitcoin it's not a physical thing that you can get back.
But it's good to check the address twice and don't write it manualy, use the copy paste options. Very often people lose their coins only because they are reckless or stupid. Don't be one of them.

malaj
BranZolt

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 01:15:34 PM

See it's preety clear that YOU sent YOUR money YOURSELF to a user,even if it was a mistake,he has right to keep or spend it.
Then it is obvious that your BTC is gone and you can only get it back if the receiver is generous enough to return you the sum. 
ReLieD

Activity: 546
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 01:40:30 PM

There are 2 possible results
First , if the address you entered belongs to someone then he / she will get that amount . And you can do nothing about it besides finding who that person is (which is very hard) and then asking them to return it to you.

Next thing , if the address is invalid and doesn't belong to anyone then your transaction will not be confirmed and hence you will get your money back without any problem. This process might take 48-72 hrs depending on the size of your transaction .

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█          ▄         ▄      ▄▄▄▄▄
█       ▄███      ▄███      █████
█        ████      ████     ▀▀▀▀▀
█         ████      ████
█          ████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█           █████████████████████
█            ▀█████▄   ▀█████▄
█              ▀█████▀   ▀█████▀
█                 ▀▀        ▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█▀▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄▄█
bling-bling

Activity: 364

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2017, 01:48:39 PM

Hi!
As the title says, what happens if i get an address wrong? Do the coins get lost?
If that's what happens, why not change the code in Bitcoin, so that if the bitcoin network cant detect that address, returns the bitcoins to you?
99.99%, say bye bye to your coins...🤑 So bad for you, great for the recepient! We really need to be careful with all of our transactions so as not to make any mistake. Paranoia, I believe, is not bad in this case. It's better to be paranoid than stupid! 😁

crustez00

Activity: 196

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 01:55:27 PM

i think the answer already clear, if you sent to wrong address. either its coin get lost or that coin will come to another user wallet that have that address. well, maybe they can do that. But, i don't know anymore about changing the code  Smiley just becareful when you want to do some transaction.

hadveach

Activity: 448
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 01:59:24 PM

it looks like you've lost something of value, and it will not be refundable. you should be more careful when sending an adress wallet.
do not be careless .
Shendy23

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:01:36 PM

That would be a great help not to lose your bitcoins but i think if you send it to the wrond address for sure its someones blessings, because addresses are similar to each other so you need to double check your transaction for the best result and not to lose the money your earning for. Although human error is cannot be avoid but if you serious on your money then don't go easy on it.  

Altas

Activity: 366

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:04:54 PM

The wrong address holder gets lucky to get some bitcoin. Second thing, until he himself understands the mistake of the sender it is impossible to get back the bitcoin. Its our responsibility to be more careful while making the transactions to other bitcoin addresses.
Palmholder

Activity: 224

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:08:19 PM

If bitcoin network cant detect this address it does not mean the address is not exists at all, it may be created offline by some happy camper. Your only hope is low fee which miners are not interested in, in that case you will get your coins back

pokerjet

Activity: 546
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:53:26 PM

If I send Bitcoin an incorrect  address, the person who owns that address will be very happy. How many people who accidentally come from Bitcoin to your account will send the money back to me. Perhaps 1 in 100 people.
Hobo66

Activity: 1344
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:56:50 PM

Another random person will get your bitcoin, Grin
and would feel real happy about it. because if you are trying to track the bitcoin
you will be failing, bitcoin cant be track it impossible I tried it my self. Shocked

Code:
                                  ██▄▄              ▄▄██
                                   █████▄        ▄█████
      ▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄     █████▄      ▄█████      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄███████████▄    █████████████▄    █████▄    ▄█████   ▄▄███████████▄    █████     █████
 █████▀▀▀▀██████   ██████▀▀▀██████    █████▄  ▄█████   ▄█████▀▀▀▀▀█████▄   █████   █████
█████  ▄▄█████▀▀   █████     █████     █████▄▄█████    █████       █████    █████ █████
██████████▀▀       █████     █████      ██████████     █████       █████     █████████
 ██████▀ ▄▄▄█▄     █████     █████       ████████      ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄█████▀      ███████
  ▀████████████    █████     █████        █████        ▀▀███████████▀         █████
     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀           █████
                                                                             █████
                                                                            █████
                                                                           █████
                    ▄▄▄████▄
▀████▄▄▄          ▄██████████
 ▀███████▄       ▄██████████
  ▀████████      ██████████
   █████████    ██████████▀
    █████████  ▄█████████▀
     █████████ ██████████
      ██████████████████
      ▀████████████████
       ▀█████████████▀
        ▀████████████▀
         ▀██████████▀
           ▀███████▀
tb4eva

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 03:07:36 PM

There's no erasing a bitcoin transaction.
dimastegar

Activity: 798
Merit: 251

Small Trader

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 03:42:18 PM

In this case, You will lost your Bitcoin. If you are asking because you fear accidentally entering a wrong address, don't worry, it is highly unlikely you will randomly pick a wrong but valid address.  You would be more likely to win the lottery 100 times in a row. So, keep safe your transactions Smiley

██████████████████
            █████  █████  █████  █████
         ███████████████████████████████
       ████  ████████████████████████  ███
      ██████████████████████████████████████
     ██  ████████████████████████████████████
    ████████████████████████████     █████  ██
   █████████████████████████████ ▐█▌ ██████████
  ███  █████████████████▌     ██ ▐█▌ ██████████
  ██████████████████████▌ ██  ██ ▐█▌ ███████  ██
  ███████████████      █▌ ██  ██ ▐█▌ ███████████
  ██  ███████████  ██  █▌ ██  ██ ▐█▌ ███████████
  ███████████████  ██  █▌ ██  ██ ▐█▌ ███████  ██
  █████████        ██  █▌ ██  ██ ▐█▌ ██████████
   ██  █████████████████▌ ██  ██ ▐█▌ ██████████
    ██████████████        ██  ██ ▐█▌ ██████  █
     ███████████████████████████ ▐█▌ ████████
      ██  ███████████████        ▐█▌ ███  ██
       ███████████████████████████████████
         ████  ████████████████████  ███
            ██████  ████  ████  ██████
                ██████████████████

IDEX
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

Start Trading Instantly
  BOUNTY
  Telegram
DARKANGEL6415

Activity: 672

ADAMANT — the most secure and anonymous messenger

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2017, 04:47:08 PM

While what is stated above is true... there are some other points here.

It is hard to have a typo in an address (from what I read somewhere).  If you send to an invalid address, the transaction just fails.

If you mix up your clipboard and send to the wrong, yet valid, address... then you have no recourse as there is no way to get the coins back unless a person holding the private key to that address sends them back to you.

I once overpaid someone using mybitcion... and they were kind enough to give me the extra, so if you can find out who the coins went to, there is a chance.

So if im reading this correctly, there is possibility that the error send to address is not in use yet. Does that it at some point someone might be assigned that address and find some free random bitcoin waiting for them like a nice Christmas gift lol?

● ● ● ● ● ● ●   ADAMANT Messenger ● ● ● ● ● ● ●  
Try it now: Secure and Anonymous Messenger ║║ Whitepaper
Wicked17

Activity: 476
Merit: 107

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:04:40 PM

Hi!
As the title says, what happens if i get an address wrong? Do the coins get lost?
If that's what happens, why not change the code in Bitcoin, so that if the bitcoin network cant detect that address, returns the bitcoins to you?

the bitcoin address will be detected if it is typo error or had a missing letter or numbers, the transaction will simply failed . If you sent a legit but into another address, sad to say but you lose your coin unless the owner of the bitcoin send it to you back your coin but that is nearly impossible Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: