Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:12:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If i send my bitcoins to a wrong address, what happens?  (Read 18003 times)
Hamstead

Activity: 805
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:11:54 PM

Hi!
As the title says, what happens if i get an address wrong? Do the coins get lost?
If that's what happens, why not change the code in Bitcoin, so that if the bitcoin network cant detect that address, returns the bitcoins to you?

From the wiki:

"Bitcoin addresses contain a built-in check code, so it's generally not possible to send Bitcoins to a mistyped address. However, if the address is well-formed but no one owns it (or the owner lost their wallet.dat), any coins sent to that address will be lost forever."
That's right, because in using bockchain technology there is no recovery of all transactions made unless you have type the invalid btc address and that's the time your sending transanction will be cancelled. As a piece of advise or tips to avoid from mistype address, it is better to copy and paste address, double check and lastly don't be rush in sending. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JJack@

Activity: 196
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:12:58 PM

From what I have heard they are lost for ever into the bitcoin void. Or you could have sent them to someone and if hes really honest he can send them back. But the probability of that happening is pretty slim.
valisa

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:19:10 PM

I have never experienced anything like that, because I always be careful and do bitcoin delivery, I always check the bitcoin address several times to make sure the address is correct, if it is wrong to send to the wrong address maybe your bitcoin will be lost, or if your lucky bitcoin will return to your wallet
danggoron

Activity: 560
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:26:16 PM

Hi!
As the title says, what happens if i get an address wrong? Do the coins get lost?
If that's what happens, why not change the code in Bitcoin, so that if the bitcoin network cant detect that address, returns the bitcoins to you?

From the wiki:

"Bitcoin addresses contain a built-in check code, so it's generally not possible to send Bitcoins to a mistyped address. However, if the address is well-formed but no one owns it (or the owner lost their wallet.dat), any coins sent to that address will be lost forever."
That's right, because in using bockchain technology there is no recovery of all transactions made unless you have type the invalid btc address and that's the time your sending transanction will be cancelled. As a piece of advise or tips to avoid from mistype address, it is better to copy and paste address, double check and lastly don't be rush in sending. 
yes, so I always check several times to make sure the address I paste is correct. well, if the wrong address is written and registered, then there will be a warning, is not it? then, if that address has one, can we ask to be sent back?

yonjitsu

Activity: 476

www.daxico.com

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:27:36 PM

You have to be very careful in doing so but if that really happens, then you can hope that that address is not existing yet because that's a checksum error. But if the address is wrong and it is existing, then your bitcoin will be deducted for sure.
Worst is, if you don't know who's bitcoin address you've mistakenly sending, then you can never contact that person.

KingOfWinterfell01

Activity: 504

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:39:03 PM

Hi!

Other people might get it. But I doubt some people will get it because of how random or how complex the address system is. Just because you made a 1 letter mistake that doesn't another person would actually get it. It's pretty much lost. You can't have it return to you.

Heartseed

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:45:17 PM

If it is send to wrong address accidentaly. Of course, you will lose your bitcoin balance. So its better to double or even triple check your own address in order to send your money and have it. Well a random address isnt applicable but there is a chance that mistyping the address will lead to loss of money
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2968
Merit: 600

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:51:42 PM

From what I have heard they are lost for ever into the bitcoin void.

Yes they are totally lost forever, there's no way to recover it and how on this world you will be able to send into a wrong address? Each address are very unique and I find it odd if you'll be sending to a wrong address at all. This rarely happens but it has 0.01% chance of happening especially if that person is just keep on copy pasting address and if he's affected with a malware that changes the wallet address after copying.

Or you could have sent them to someone and if hes really honest he can send them back. But the probability of that happening is pretty slim.
This is the only way, only few people remain to be honest but still there is still humanity.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
salihno71

Activity: 420

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:14:05 AM

Hi!

It depends. One thing is sure, you don't have those coins anymore. If the address you have sent is owned by someone (he has private key), he will receive the funds and he can use them as he seems fit. And the changes you are proposing are not good for the following reason: what would stop someone from buying something, and after receiving the goods proclaiming the transaction as erroneous and receiving the funds back?
cryptobengal

Activity: 142
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:17:01 AM

please make shure you send them to me i can always use a few more satoshi.........
adress  36Q1SuhGE7DiszmxWjRDviVDa748Q4GEVd  donations are always welcome , merry hoho
DroidR17A

Activity: 490
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:17:13 AM

Yeah you might want to take that comment with a grain of salt. Your particle analogy seems a bit exaggerated though.
There are somewhere between 10^72 an 10^87 particles in the universe. The keyspace is 2^160, or around 10^48. So yeah, it is exaggerated.

I'm not sure what's more amusing...The original question, or the geeky sidebar  Wink
ihaveaquestion

Activity: 563
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:17:35 AM

Are you all going to answer to this guy? it is obviously that there is no way to recover that money once that you send the funds.

It works by the same way as if you send money to a different bank account on your bank.. It is exactly the same, there is no way to recover those funds.

Well, if the receiver decides to give you your money back, you are probably one of the 1%.
roy12875

Activity: 127

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:20:11 AM

That's mean you lost the bitcoins already. If the person is a good guys. he will send it back to the same address. I think no one will do it. Be careful next time. Check the address twice.

Kez1817

Activity: 909
Merit: 17

www.cd3d.app

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:29:34 AM

If you send your bitcoin to a wrong address then this address is valid no doubt that you cannot get it back unless the owner of the wrong address you have sent has a kind heart and he/ she will give it back to you. So,be carefull to send,check the wallet several times before you send.

Choyor

Activity: 672
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:35:46 AM
Last edit: December 14, 2017, 02:00:32 AM by Choyor

It is not possible to mistype a particular wallet address, and if we send it to an unauthorized address, every transaction will fail. Unless we store the Bitcoin address with another file and you mistakenly copied the address you are addressing and the address is valid, the transaction will be successful automatically. Unfortunately you will lose Bitcoin for mis-delivery, so be more careful and more careful before sending your Bitcoin.
shindymlk

Activity: 392

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 01:50:28 AM

Hi!

yes, your coin get lost and happy day for someone get your coins. so i just wanna say beware before you input your address, if you get an address wrong, you can lost your coin, and cant get back..
jaggijagjit

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2017, 02:01:15 AM

If you send bitcoins to a wrong address then you lost your coins forever and never get back. So becareful in future and check recever address twice before send btc to any other account.

▀▀▀▀▄▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀ ▄ ▀    GORECRUIT    ▀ ▄ ▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▄▀▀▀▀
▬▬   ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE FOR HR BASED ON BLOCKCHAIN   ▬▬
Whitepaper   Telegram   [  Pre-Sale 》 24th October  ]   Facebook   Twitter
heureca

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 02:01:59 AM

It is not possible to mistype a particular wallet address, and if we send it to an unauthorized address, every transaction will fail. Unless we store the Bitcoin address with another file and you mistakenly copied the address you are addressing and the address is valid, the transaction will be successful automatically. Unfortunately you will lose Bitcoin for mis-delivery, so be more careful and more careful before sending your Bitcoin.

Yeah, it is necessary to use copy-paste technique for BTC addresses. At the same time it is necessary to check the first and last letters of your address.

██                                                     
██████                                                    
██████████                ████              ████          
█████████████          ██████████        ██████████       
█████  █████████    ███████████████   ████████████████    
█████     ████████████████   ████  ██████████  ██████████ 
█████        ██████████          █████████        █████████
█████         ██████             ██████              ████ 
█████         █████              ████                     
█████         ███████            ██████              ████ 
█████        ███████████         █████████        █████████
█████     █████████████████  ████   █████████  ██████████ 
█████  █████████    ███████████████   ████████████████    
█████████████          █████████         ██████████       
██████████                ████              ████          
  ████                                                    
/Distributed
Credit Chain
//
Empower Credit, Enable Finance
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
pwchan001

Activity: 118
Merit: 5

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 02:18:07 AM

You probably lose all your coins sent if you enter a wrong address, that's why it is so important to double check the address entered before you clicking the 'send' button even though you copy and paste it. (P.S. I am going to create few more addresses just in case some careless users enter the wrong address Grin)

Welcome to feeless future! (https://discord.gg/tdN4ue6)
josephpogi

Activity: 434
Merit: 168

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 02:42:36 AM

Hi!
Always remember in your self this  "slowly but surely" so you need to check 3-5 times before you send and i think if you have a trust wallet like coin base you can contact their team to refund or to get your money or bitcoin again .
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: