Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:15:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If i send my bitcoins to a wrong address, what happens?  (Read 18003 times)
stellgod

Activity: 659
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 12:50:06 PM

of course you will lose your coins or maybe even your coins will go into someone else's wallet. I guess that's what will happen if you mistakenly fill in the address you'll send bitcoin or another coin.
Yes you will lose your coin and goes to someone else wallet and if you think this in real senior of world if you put your money to someone else wallet then it depends on the person in who`s wallet you have put the money whether he returns you the money or not.Bitcoin do so because it provides full controls to the user who holds that account and never interferes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
yusupjatigumilar

Activity: 644
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 01:03:32 PM

Not only in bitcoin in the usual things we do the same thing, let's say that bitcoin address is the destination account number that we will send the money, then we enter the wrong account number, then the money we send will not reach the goal, or not sent. What distinguishes the bitcoin transactions is that if we enter the wrong address at the time of sending bitcoin, the bitcoin you will send will not get anywhere unless the address you entered is correct, but whoever is receiving it.
joebrook

Merit: 259

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 01:15:51 PM

Hi!
As the title says, what happens if i get an address wrong? Do the coins get lost?
If that's what happens, why not change the code in Bitcoin, so that if the bitcoin network cant detect that address, returns the bitcoins to you?

Well, I guess if you send it to a owner of that address then your btc will somehow go to his account and you can't do anything to get it back unless you contact him or you know him. And if that address doesn't have any owner or let's just say invalid address, I think your money will be back on your account. That's all.

In this case, 99.99999999% you don't know the owner of the address. Then you can forget about that bitcoins, they're lost forever. If you saw it instantly, you can try to make another transaction with extremely higher fees to save your bitcoins.
I always wish it was possible that one can return his or her bitcoin to their address before the transaction could get confirmed, I am sure that could prevent a lot of thefts in the bitcoin network. But at the moment whether confirmed or not you lose your bitcoin once it is sent.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
Raihan050

Activity: 443

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 02:45:32 PM

Why not??
it's simple You will lose your bitcoin if you send your bitcoin to wrong address!!

Skieleton

Activity: 686
Merit: 282

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 04:23:14 PM

This is not a bank where sent money is coming back. Here it is otherwise badly sent out are lost. I have already convinced myself several times Sad.
kc999991

Activity: 224
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 04:24:48 PM

I don't think anyone can help in this case as there is no authorities that one can go to and rectify the situation. He will just have to consider himself unlucky. These types of transactions really do make people paranoid and it would be great if there is some sort of system in place to protect us in the future.
ChristianPogi

Merit: 252

I'm just a Nobody.

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 04:25:21 PM

if you lucky will lost half of your bitcoin else just cry for your lost.

in most cases you lost it for ever " No refund option"

nahhh.. you will lose everything not half Cheesy Once you send the bitcoin to the wrong address say good bye to your BTC because it's irrevocable. Be responsible in what you do, better to look twice or even 3x to the address where you want to send the btc.

Ahhh.. ok
lemonscentedbreeze

Activity: 133
Merit: 10

Blockchain with solar energy

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 04:34:15 PM

Hi!
As the title says, what happens if i get an address wrong? Do the coins get lost?
If that's what happens, why not change the code in Bitcoin, so that if the bitcoin network cant detect that address, returns the bitcoins to you?

I'm sorry to tell you but its either lost forever or it is transfered to some unknown person which gives you almost 0% chance of getting it back. Even if you have his address it would still be quite a feat to retrieve it, even brute force hacking is not an option when it comes to crypto wallets.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  [   CRYPTOS⚫LARTECH    ]  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
  White Paper    ||  BLOCKCHAIN & ENERGY FOR A BETTER WORLD  ||    One Pager 
Telegram  Facebook  Twitter  [[   TOKEN SALE is LIVE   ]]  Medium  Youtube  Reddit
AriannaSantosUU

Activity: 256

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 11:54:57 PM

If you have sent your bitcoin to an address that was assigned to another user, there is a big chance and a possibility not to get it back unless you have to private key to that public address.
Dhaaaw

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 11:57:28 PM

They will be lost and you'd have no right getting them back. The only way you would have some chance with, is if  you can find the owner of the wrong address that you sent your money to and try to persuade them to give them back and the odds of that happening is close to zero.
arlington

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 11:58:15 PM

The coins go to a lucky human being in the world. They would be there and you will not be able to see them again. If you do such a thing than you have to forget your btc.
Captimiz

Activity: 130

Hoqu.io – Decentralized Affiliate platform

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 12:00:38 AM

Hi!

Bitcoin transactions are irreversible. While this may be very inconvenient at times, it prevents scammers doing charge backs on PayPal transactions while using credit cards. If you think about it another way, how would the block-chain know you sent bitcoins to the wrong address? It could be that someone buys goods with bitcoins, pays the guy and then a day later tries to get his bitcoins back claiming he sent them to the wrong address.

TiffanyLien23

Activity: 350
Merit: 107

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 12:08:22 AM

It will be lost. Next time you have to make iy sure that you will use the right address because you cant change it. You have to double check it next time and make another address.
zombie6

Activity: 438
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 10:04:46 AM

Hi!
You just send them to the wrong person and lose) no refunds in bitcoin, this is one of the basic principles of the bitcoin code!and if the address is simply not correct, then the transaction simply will not happen and bitcoin will not write off your account
gurupauts

Activity: 420
Merit: 11

DISRUPTING THE $23.5 B SCIENCE PUBLISHING INDUSTRY

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2017, 10:23:38 AM

Hi!

if you send the wrong address of course you will lose your bitcoin because it is impossible you can ask to return your bitcoin

ubeng07

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 10:32:47 AM

Hi!

Well, I guess if you send it to a owner of that address then your btc will somehow go to his account and you can't do anything to get it back unless you contact him or you know him. And if that address doesn't have any owner or let's just say invalid address, I think your money will be back on your account. That's all.

In this case, 99.99999999% you don't know the owner of the address. Then you can forget about that bitcoins, they're lost forever. If you saw it instantly, you can try to make another transaction with extremely higher fees to save your bitcoins.
so we are taking to be more careful cause in this case there is a lot of process there is some that you have to file some case and of course in the first place you will never know who is the owner of that address and we all know that all of us are greedy to have atleast some bitcoin so even me if i may receive some bitcoin with my address from unknown first i may take some shock why i may receive that.
Nanot

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 10:48:34 AM

Hi!
It may possible to make your money return but the bigger portion was cant.. All because bitcoin can have a so many transactions,so that they may not know something else happend....only you need to do is to report earlier to the manager to give a quike responce and action. But the biggest point is when you are asking for it within several days passes without informing bitcoin...thier is possibility that you cant return your money back.but im sure that bitcoin can handle that kind of problem.

▰▰▰▰ me token ▰▰▰▰
▰▰ WHITEPAPER ▰▰▰▰   The Social Commerce Revolution  ▰▰▰▰ ANN THREAD ▰▰
 ▰▰ WEB SITE  ▰▰ REDDIT  ▰▰ TELEGRAM  ▰▰ FACEBOOK   ▰▰ LINKEDIN  ▰▰
thenameisjay

Activity: 462

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 10:56:03 AM

Hi!

The possibility of other people getting the bitcoins is very low. The chances are, some person MIGHT have received it, but the chance is really slim, and the other scenario is it will be lost in the void. It cannot be recovered, sadly. So next time you send bitcoins, always make sure the address is active.

♦      GΞMΞRA      ♦     Crypto-Token Backed by Colombian Emeralds     [  WHITEPAPER  ]               
     ▬▬▬    PRE-SALE  ▶  Sep 10th - Oct 24th     JOIN NOW & get 20% BONUS!    ▬▬▬     
♦          TELEGRAM        TWITTER        FACEBOOK        YOUTUBE         MEDIUM         GITHUB         LINKEDIN          ♦
raihan09

Activity: 160
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 10:58:10 AM

Hi!

Obviously you can't get those bitcoin which lose as a donation!
jaaeeeyyyy

Activity: 434
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 12:00:13 PM

If it will happen then someone has a good day after sending money randomly but its once in a blue moon, like how can you send to a wrong recipients ? you have to double check it before sending because its a key. Aside you just need to copy and paste it , how can you be mistaken of it unless you misclick something or delete some parts of it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: