Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:07:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If i send my bitcoins to a wrong address, what happens?  (Read 18003 times)
bitterguy28

Activity: 2002
Merit: 175

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2017, 12:05:44 PM

Hi!
As the title says, what happens if i get an address wrong? Do the coins get lost?
If that's what happens, why not change the code in Bitcoin, so that if the bitcoin network cant detect that address, returns the bitcoins to you?

Always be carefull sending coins makes sure the address are correct, sad to say with you hard to locate who is the owner of the address.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OuterTech

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

Tokenize Fantasy Sports

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 12:09:04 PM

If you send Bitcoin to the wrong address, it is likely that you will lose all of that Bitcoin. Because Bitcoin's security mechanism seems to only send data, it does not return a sent BTC. Be careful, before sending you to need to check whether the address information is correct or not, avoid sending the message and then recognize the wrong address. I hope that the future will be able to return the BTC sent or have an intermediary such as escrow to ensure no mistake in the transaction as it is now.

mrayazgul

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 03:50:44 PM

From what I have heard they are lost for ever into the bitcoin void. Or you could have sent them to someone and if hes really honest he can send them back. But the probability of that happening is pretty slim.
Technically the coins are not lost forever. The coins can get returned if he knows how to bruteforce a wallet.

Now what is meant by bruteforce a wallet ? The scerniro is simple here. If you send the bitcoins to the wrong address and you do not know which person is the owner of that address, you can never claim it back and those bitcoins now belong to whom it has been transferred wrongly. That's why we should double check the wallet address before sending any money to wallet address.
dupee419

Activity: 1344
Merit: 261

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 04:33:53 PM

Hi!
As the title says, what happens if i get an address wrong? Do the coins get lost?
If that's what happens, why not change the code in Bitcoin, so that if the bitcoin network cant detect that address, returns the bitcoins to you?
If you send your btc to the wrong address it's your fault and your btc is gone and the receiver will be a lucky person because you cannot claim it back so if you don't want to lose your btc as soon as possible before you send your btc to another person or wallet always double check it maybe if you don't do that it might be gonna happen to you so always double check.
jsscswan

Activity: 266

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 04:46:35 PM

If you send to the wrong bitcoin address of course the bitcoin will vanish. Or the likelihood of the wrong address being owned by someone lucky to get bitcoin from you.
The lesson is that every time you want to transfer bitcoin must be very careful in entering bitcoin address.

_____________________A I T H E O N_____________________       [   JOIN THE WHITELIST   ]
The digital ecosystem simplifying your world through A.I., robotic, and human symbiosis
██ ███     WHITEPAPER     |     TELEGRAM     |     TWITTER     |     INSTAGRAM     ███ ██
nathanbryce

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 05:52:33 AM

It's difficult to accidentally send bitcoins to an invalid address because there is a 4-byte checksum in every address. If you make a typo, the checksum won't be valid and any transaction sending bitcoins to such an address will be rejected by the network.
white.raiden

Activity: 252
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 05:55:32 AM

Hi!

Yes you will lose your coin and goes to someone else wallet and if you think this in real senior of world if you put your money to someone else wallet then it depends on the person in who`s wallet you have put the money whether he returns you the money or not. The only way you would have some chance with, is if  you can find the owner of the wrong address that you sent your money to and try to persuade them to give them back and the odds of that happening is close to zero.
Weldhers

Activity: 135
Merit: 3

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 06:03:44 AM

you will lose the btc you send it and there will be lucky people who get it according to the address you input it
so, first check your btc address before you do btc transactions
youok

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 06:19:47 AM

what happens ? i have a little information about it.
I read some information on another website. if someone send the bitcoin to wrong address, he / she will lose the coins. I do not know how to recover it if something happens to me.  Smiley

weblaraveluser

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 06:22:14 AM

Hi!

Obviously yes it will get lost if the address that you place is currently existing and you cannot do anything to get your coins back because it is all your fault. You can look at those exchangers that has an email address confirmation to be more secured in transfering your coins.
nemo91

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 06:25:31 AM

I lost some satoshies due to a wrong address Sad

I reused the same address in which had previously worked for me. Now I know its a one-time only thing  Grin Hence, my transaction has been marked as "pending" for a couple of months.

I wish there was a time termination on pending transactions.
Tambu

Activity: 224
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2017, 06:27:31 AM

Hi!
If the address is exist it will a lost coin on your part.
The only way to retrieve it if the owner of address will agree to return it to you.
Its a blessing for the recipient.

MONARCH  |  THE COMPLETE CRYPTO SOLUTION  |  Private Sale is LIVE!
▬▬  "Be your own KING"  |  PRE-SALE: JUNE 15, 2018  ▬▬▬▬▬
soma50

Activity: 67

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 06:28:25 AM

It Can not be reterns .,..
cepedacharles29

Activity: 168
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 06:31:55 AM

Hi!

If you send to the wrong bitcoin address of course the bitcoin will vanish. You will lose the btc you send and luck will get according to the address you input it. The lesson is that every time you want to transfer bitcoin must be very careful in entering bitcoin address. And if we need to send a bitcoin or coins / tokens we should be careful and double check if it's correct the address when you send bitcoin or altcoins
shacc

Activity: 84

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 06:34:10 AM

Any transaction issued with Bitcoin cannot be reversed, they can only be refunded by the person receiving the funds. Therefore, it is impossible for Instacoin to charge back or provide a refund. Bitcoin can detect typos and won't let you send money to an invalid address in the chain, but you should always confirm that you have type the correct adress to send to.
Compa
Legendary

Activity: 1006
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 06:36:37 AM

if you are send bitcoins to a wrong address, your bitcoin is lost. of course
Be carefull, it is better to check bitcoin address before you click on button send.

▄▄██████████████▄▄
             ▄███████████████████████▄
           █████████████████████████████
         ███▀▀█████▀▀ ██  ██  ▀▀██████████
        ██▀ ▄  ▀      ██  ██      ▀█████████
       █▀ ▄██▀        ██  ██        █████████
      ▀ ▄███▌      ███████████▄▄  ▄███████████
      ▄████▌        ▀██████████████████████████
    ▄██████     ██▄   ▀███████████████████████████▀
  ▄████████    █████▄▄  ▀███████████████████████▀
▄██████████    ████████▄  ▀███████████████████▀
    ███████    ██████████▄   ▀██████████████▀ ▄█
    ███████    ████████████▄▄  ▀██████████▀ ▄███
    ███████▌    ██████████████▄  ▀██████▀ ▄████
     ███████      ██████████████▄  ▀██▀ ▄██████
      ███████▄      ▀██████████▀      ████████
       ████████       ██  ██        █████████
        █████████▄    ██  ██     ▄██████████
          ██████████▄▄██▄▄██▄▄▄███████████
            ████████████████████████████
              ▀██████████████████████▀
                  ▀▀████████████▀▀

LocalCoinSwap
   World's Most Inclusive 
         Cryptocurrency Marketplace
[]
██████████████
█████████████████
██░░░░░████████████
██░░░░░██████████████
█████████████████████
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
█████████████████████
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
█████████████████████
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
TELEGRAM
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
REDDIT
INSTAGRAM
MEDIUM
LINKED IN
STEEMIT
triciaa478

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 07:10:39 AM

Wrong address like you mistype it or correct address but not intended for right recipient. I think if it was wrong address as a result of mistype then it wont be able to pass the blockchain and likely bounce back, but if is a correct address meant for different user, then you just gift a stranger some free cash.
hajimasan

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 07:34:02 AM

Hi!
We know that bitcoin is that technology which is famouse for its two quality that is reliability of payment that can't reverse and has not limit to transfer .
So here no chance for you to get back your bitcoin ( sometimes fees factor for long term unconfirmation results into reverse of bitcoin but I had never faced such things in my bitcoin work career ) .
And also sometimes when we send bitcoin to wrong address then bitcoin doesn't transfer ( I am talking about mistake type any extra word , or erase of any word or type of equal word ) .
Hope you understand well that what are probability that can happen with you .
reymartH

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 07:34:34 AM

Bitcoin transactions are irreversible. If you were connected to the network when you made the transaction, your coins are lost.
NavI_027

Activity: 1232
Merit: 186

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 07:54:05 AM

Sad to say, you are right! those coins was lost. If you send bitcoins to wrong address unintentionally then the person which suppposed to receive that btc will receive nothing, and on the other hand, there's a lucky person who will receive what you sent. So be very careful when copying/typing addresses because a single wrong letter/number will ruin everything.

I think there's nothing wrong with the codes, actually it's very unique and provides total security. Just avoid being careless next time.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: