Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 08:37:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WaterCooling GPU  (Read 399 times)
MikkisJ (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:01:36 PM

Hello, I'm builduing a small rig with 5 cards (200-350W each). I'm thinking about watercooling mainly because it is much quieter. Where can I buy cheap only waterblocks? I thought I could buy one pump, and will plug them all to a car radiator. I know it requires some efforts, but I like the challenge.
boobies

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:22:05 PM

don't forget about cooling the vram down on the video cards too, not just the gpu chips.
bearsworth

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:23:28 PM

I wish they came out with closed loop gpu coolers. ; (

Bitrated user: cryptomark.
MikkisJ (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:26:46 PM

don't forget about cooling the vram down on the video cards too, not just the gpu chips.

Hmm, thanks for the tip, will have to research that.
ole23

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:34:33 PM

This place has everything you need: http://www.xoxide.com/

Using a car radiator really won't work unless you get a good pump rated at about 1/2 to 3/4 HP. A car radiator can hold from 1 and 1/2 gallons      
to about 2 1/2 gallons of water. second problem is going from about a 1/4 inch tube from the cards to a 1 inch hose to the radiator. That is going to be a lot of back pressure created. For about $100 you can get about a 1 foot sq radiator that should work the way you want.

A friend of mine did the same thing you are trying to do, but with 4 cards, and still had to put a small radiator between the cards due to heat being transferred between the cards. The heat transfer of heat from the radiator to air is just as bad as using the stock fans on the card, unless you figure a way to blow it out a window or something.

Marduk

Activity: 37

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:12:56 PM

Be aware though, that cooling off 5 GPUs, there still will be a considerable amount of fan noise from the radiator.  You'll also still need fans for the rest of your system components.  Also, be aware that fans which list in their specs a "noise" rating, measure that with the fan in the open air.  It will be quite a bit louder when you put a restriction on it such as your radiator or case.

That said, water will do an excellent job removing heat if you have decent setup.

EDIT: Also with 5 GPUs, unless you have a really good pump, you'll most likely need two.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: