Bitcoin Forum
September 04, 2024, 03:50:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Redundant OS install?  (Read 408 times)
danz409 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:17:40 PM

so i recently got into bitcoin mining. however my system is not the most stable. with crashing freezing being common (somebody, not saying who. bought pre-owned GFX cards and 2/4 have intermittent issues) the biggest problem i'm having is when i boot up a computer from a crash more times or not windows files went currpt and system recovery tries to fix.
but usually ends in me having to re-install.

i'm not too keen on text base OS so most linux OS won't do so well with me. also a lot of the text base miner programs also
as this post probably proves. grammar/spelling, not my strong point. 

the OS i'm currently using is Windows 7

the big question is.. Is it possible to have a redundant install. basically a dual copy of all OS files. but with only 1 OS install so no dual-boot screen etc
and the OS can run from a "copy" file if something is wrong with the primary. and once it boots. it will recover the damaged file. i don't know if such a system
exists. the only thing this system will be doing is mining. so iv considered just having a HDD image of the setup calibrated. all presets in miner filled and such. and just use a ghost program
to recover that upon crashes. that may be faster than a complete re-install? any suggestions welcome.

PS: anyone in the cincinati area know someone who drives a yellow handa convertible. get my money back, only 2 of these cards was worth it.. never
buying used crap off cregslist agan...

PSS: wanted to post this in the proper thread. however it seems i can only post in the newbie thread. how do i lose "newbie" status?
boobies

Activity: 29

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:19:54 PM

create an image of your basic install using ghost or acronis true image. If the hdd crashes and windows won't boot, 10 minutes later you can clone the image back onto the hdd (or have a spare ready to go) and you can boot back into windows.
ole23

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:43:47 PM

are you stuck in a "repair Loop," or does it work after the re-install? Have you tried this: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html

What about a usb windows startup disk? You should be able to repair windows this way with only one restart. Here is the instructions:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/92177-boot-windows-7-system-repair-disc-usb-using-grub4dos.html

Good luck! This is why I use linux!
danz409 (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:46:32 PM

Update: instability issue found- Cause faulty GPU

found out what was causing soo much instability. turns out one of my GPUs is glitched. the second i install drivers it prevents windows from booting. i remove the faulty GPU and it boots right back up no problem. of the batch of 4 cards i bought only 2 are 100% stable... joy.
finding the troublemaker is a challenge in its own. if i do notice a card running too hot in
MSI afterburner how do you tell what card it is on your motherboard? in the manual it shows what slots to use if your only useing 1 2 or 3 card setups.
obveusly top has most priority in most setups and is ussaly considered device 0.

also. when i run guiminer device 1 (presumed to be second from top PCIEx16), afterburner shows device 3's usage hit 90-100%

which would more likely be correct?
danz409 (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:48:14 PM

are you stuck in a "repair Loop," or does it work after the re-install? Have you tried this: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html

What about a usb windows startup disk? You should be able to repair windows this way with only one restart. Here is the instructions:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/92177-boot-windows-7-system-repair-disc-usb-using-grub4dos.html

Good luck! This is why I use linux!

it installs fine. just once i got drivers installed is where issues started. but the issue is found.. for now.. put back the second glitchy card. put the OEM heatsink from the troubled card on it so i won't have heating issues. someone bought a silent heatsink for it thinking it would keep it cooler.
thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: