Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 03:41:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Future BTC Conference  (Read 1567 times)
FinShaggy (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 10:36:51 PM

This is the conference today. It looks like MAYBE 100-200 people showed up...

I took part in advertising the 2013 4/20 rally, and even with the Cannabis Cup (from Amasterdam) in town as a competitor, we were able to attract an audience of over 50,000 at once and over 200,000 people throughout the day.

Someone PLEASE give me heads up about the next big Bitcoin event so that I can get some attendance. I don't even need to be paid, I just believe in Bitcoin and I really think more people should be showing up than that and I bet I could add a few hundred to the audience if I had a 3-6 month heads up.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 10:39:18 PM

And I kinda think Bitcoin needs a carnival...

ihsotas

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:43:15 PM

You're confusing yourself.

That's one room of the several they had (4 session track rooms, the hackathon room, and the main floor with the vendor booths, food area, and main stage). There were about 2,000 participants who paid, not the 100 or so you see in the picture below. (some sessions were sparsely populated, while others, like Gavin's were standing room only).

Oh, and they each paid $300-$350 to be there. Did all 200K of yours pay that much? It was probably free, right?

You're comparing apples to oranges.
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 10:45:16 PM

That's one room of the several they had (4 session track rooms, the hackathon room, and the main floor with the vendor booths, food area, and main stage). There were about 2,000 participants who paid, not the 100 or so you see in the picture below. (some sessions were sparsely populated, while others, like Gavin's were standing room only).

Oh, and they each paid $300-$350 to be there. Did all 200K of yours pay that much? It was probably free, right?

I didn't know that they had more than one room. But I could still help attendance.

Why did they make people pay? That doesn't make sense.
And yeah, the rally was free. But now that I know it costs money to get in, I would offer money (to buy tickets) or tickets in a contest and that alone would boost attendance.

And I'm not comparing apples to oranges. I'm comparing Apples to Smaller more expensive apples.

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:02:13 PM

$300 attendance fee was probably just about right. A conference of this type is intended to build up the network of the bitcoiner community, get business people talking to each other about ideas and projects, problems and solutions in bit-commerce. Concrete business deals would get struck.

A cheap event would allow in many people who are interested but never plan to do anything constructive. They would learn, but that can be done remotely, online.

Signal not noise!

yocko06

Activity: 182

1Kgyk4nQSzb3Pm9E9vWiGVyJ6jpPwripKf

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:08:35 PM

I didn't know that they had more than one room. But I could still help attendance.

And yeah, the rally was free. But now that I know it costs money to get in, I would offer money (to buy tickets) or tickets in a contest and that alone would boost attendance.

And I'm not comparing apples to oranges. I'm comparing Apples to Smaller more expensive apples.

Someone had to pay for it! Bitcoin is not owned by a company. I was there and paid $300. and flew from Australia to be there. There was food alcohol giveaways and heaps more. This was a great event and I am very happy with the price.
The turnout was massive there where thousands there. I will be back again next year also.
Just a quick question for you, What are your motives here?
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 11:10:12 PM

$300 attendance fee was probably just about right. A conference of this type is intended to build up the network of the bitcoiner community, get business people talking to each other about ideas and projects, problems and solutions in bit-commerce. Concrete business deals would get struck.

A cheap event would allow in many people who are interested but never plan to do anything constructive. They would learn, but that can be done remotely, online.

Signal not noise!

I think free and VIP options would be best. Maybe brochures and stuff like that at stalls for free people, then VIP gets the seminars and a VIP room or something.

Then you get the best of both worlds. Some people can come by just to see what bitcoin is, while some come to collaborate with others and learn deeper concepts.

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 11:11:19 PM

My motives are to make the next event awesome. Then I want to go to it Smiley

yocko06

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:16:03 PM

Sorry buddy I'm just wound up by all these ripple guys undercover in the bitcoin community.
It's a good event and yeah you should really try to attend the next one. They did a great job organizing this so well. I had a ball and heard a lot of great stuff.
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 11:20:23 PM

Sorry buddy I'm just wound up by all these ripple guys undercover in the bitcoin community.
It's a good event and yeah you should really try to attend the next one. They did a great job organizing this so well. I had a ball and heard a lot of great stuff.

I wish I had hear about it before today... That's another reason, I think there should be more awareness next time.

But I heard about the bitcoin seasteading and political zone stuff, and that sounds like AMAZING progress.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 12:05:57 AM

Signal not noise!

I think free and VIP options would be best. Maybe brochures and stuff like that at stalls for free people, then VIP gets the seminars and a VIP room or something.

Then you get the best of both worlds. Some people can come by just to see what bitcoin is, while some come to collaborate with others and learn deeper concepts.

Too many non-movers undermines the point of the conference. You need the right number of the right kind of people for the conference to be a success...and success is not measured in # of attendees or ฿ collected in conference fees. The goal of the Bitcoin Foundation holding the conference is to advance Bitcoin and hopefully not lose money on the event. In fact, if I recall correctly, in the early days there was talk of "hoping to break even."

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 12:21:15 AM

Signal not noise!

Too many non-movers undermines the point of the conference. You need the right number of the right kind of people for the conference to be a success...and success is not measured in # of attendees or ฿ collected in conference fees. The goal of the Bitcoin Foundation holding the conference is to advance Bitcoin and hopefully not lose money on the event. In fact, if I recall correctly, in the early days there was talk of "hoping to break even."

I think inviting people to come for free would be a great more to advance bitcoin, and having stalls outside that have contests for preloaded USB wallets, and maybe a computer to make a wallet and get a free alt coin. Then brochures and places to put yourself on email lists.

Then have the "movers" in the paid area.

And selling stall space would help to break even, or even better.

yocko06

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:30:54 AM

Signal not noise!

I think inviting people to come for free would be a great more to advance bitcoin, and having stalls outside that have contests for preloaded USB wallets, and maybe a computer to make a wallet and get a free alt coin. Then brochures and places to put yourself on email lists.

$300. is a small price to pay for the information food drinks and open bar's all included. It is also a good price considering attending is putting you at the events that are set to revolutionize money for the world. You cannot say it wasn't justified if you never showed up. 
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 12:40:09 AM

Signal not noise!

$300. is a small price to pay for the information food drinks and open bar's all included. It is also a good price considering attending is putting you at the events that are set to revolutionize money for the world. You cannot say it wasn't justified if you never showed up. 

You aren't listening. I never said take away the 300$ cover charge, I said put a free version outside.

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 12:41:31 AM

And earn extra money by selling stall space in the free area.

yocko06

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:49:53 AM

Signal not noise!

You aren't listening. I never said take away the 300$ cover charge, I said put a free version outside.
Yeah I hear that but I think the stalls probably paid already. It's an Idea that could be considered but I don't think may stall holders would want to be outside with the people who don't want to spend any money to get in. I think you should organize your own bitcoin festival or market. rather than a conference
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 01:01:19 AM

Signal not noise!

Yeah I hear that but I think the stalls probably paid already. It's an Idea that could be considered but I don't think may stall holders would want to be outside with the people who don't want to spend any money to get in. I think you should organize your own bitcoin festival or market. rather than a conference
In that case it would just be extra stalls. And that's not true, stalls just want people to be there and interested, they don't care if people spent money to get in. I've been a part of a few events, some free some half and half.

And I definitely plan on doing my own stuff when I get some money, but I'm probably going to be more Devcoin oriented since I'm a writer & video maker.

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 01:04:00 AM

And I plan on going to bitcoin events before making my own.

yocko06

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:08:16 AM

Market research bro it comes at a cost sometimes. All I'm saying here anyway From my experience of being at the event is it was promoted well, it was catered well and the topics where great. It was also held in the tech hub of the world. I don't think someone who didn't go can comment on how it wasn't what he wanted it to be.
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 01:11:17 AM

Market research bro it comes at a cost sometimes. All I'm saying here anyway From my experience of being at the event is it was promoted well, it was catered well and the topics where great. It was also held in the tech hub of the world. I don't think someone who didn't go can comment on how it wasn't what he wanted it to be.

You seem to be hearing only what you want to hear.
I never said that what they had was a problem, I suggested ways to make I better for bitcoin.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: