Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 11:22:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: not snarky, but is BCC considered an altcoin?  (Read 483 times)
soy39 (OP)

Activity: 82
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 04:37:14 PM

I'm interested in learning about BCC mining, BCC pools,  and its mining profitability relative to BTC.  Questions like how the larger blocks effect pool mining.  But if this is the wrong forum I don't want to offend, just point me in the correct direction.

Had been locked out of the forums for months.  I don't know why.  Finally got to change a passwd on a second ID I had to create in my attempts to logon.

soy39
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2017, 04:39:49 PM

Yes it is an alternative cryptocurrency and discussion about it belongs to the altcoin section of the forum.

soy39 (OP)

Activity: 82
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 04:52:43 PM

Thanks.  Then any coin besides bitcoin is considered an altcoin?  I thought the sha256 might be an element in the differentiation.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 08:31:55 PM

Namecoin is considered to be an altcoin - among quite a few other SHA256-based altcoins.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Jdope

Activity: 747
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 01:01:10 AM

Thanks.  Then any coin besides bitcoin is considered an altcoin?  I thought the sha256 might be an element in the differentiation.

Yes, that is what generally an alt coin is, anything that is not btc
Ultegra134

Activity: 1568
Merit: 756

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 02:20:25 AM

Anything apart from Bitcoin is an AltCoin. The definition derives from the word alternative, basically an altcoin is a Bitcoin alternative.
BCC is BitConnect
BCH is BitcoinCash
No matter how "close" the name might sound to BTC, everything apart from that is an alt. Bitcoin was the first cryptocurrency to be found, hence why all the others coins made after were considered Altcoins.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
BitcoinsGreat

Activity: 980
Merit: 280

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 06:30:08 PM

Thanks.  Then any coin besides bitcoin is considered an altcoin?  I thought the sha256 might be an element in the differentiation.

yes, any coin besides BTC is an altcoin.   

To clarify, BCC is bitconnect coin.   BCH is Bitcoin Cash.  Both are altcoins

That's exactly what it is. This wasn't an actual Fork it was simply a change in coins the same way that any other new coin is created. It just happened to be done at the same time as August 1st and for the purpose of giving an alternative to people who didn't like what was going to happen on August 1st.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: