Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:07:34 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU Limits?  (Read 1448 times)
siforek (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 05:15:04 PM

It seems there's a lot of 8 Nvidia + 5 AMD or vise versa setups for a total of 13 GPUs using the ASRock H110 Pro BTC+. First off I don't get why all there people are using Windows & maybe that's why they have to mix/match to get them working. I'm planning on using ethOS, PiMP or just Ubuntu & setting everything up myself as needed.
My question is while I've seen some limitations, even with PiMP for example of 6-7 GPUs stable, what are the current actual limits with Linux? I'd like to run 13x 1070s if possible & it seems it might be buy I want to be sure.
Thanks!
Bibi187

Activity: 420
Merit: 106

https://steemit.com/@bibi187

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2017, 09:58:03 PM

It seems there's a lot of 8 Nvidia + 5 AMD or vise versa setups for a total of 13 GPUs using the ASRock H110 Pro BTC+. First off I don't get why all there people are using Windows & maybe that's why they have to mix/match to get them working. I'm planning on using ethOS, PiMP or just Ubuntu & setting everything up myself as needed.
My question is while I've seen some limitations, even with PiMP for example of 6-7 GPUs stable, what are the current actual limits with Linux? I'd like to run 13x 1070s if possible & it seems it might be buy I want to be sure.
Thanks!

Hi Siforek,
as far i know ubuntu have no problem to run 13 gpu or more Wink Windows have a limit about 8 GPU per provider ( AMD / NVIDIA ) cause windows driver can push driver for more them 8 similar GPU provider. If u want to use Ubuntu i recommend you nvOC, is totally free and soon a new release with a lot of feature Wink

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
siforek (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 04:31:46 AM

See that's the thing. Why do so many people mine on Windows? & why are they not using the MB onboard graphics instead of wasting one of their badass GPUs on a display? I've lived in the terminal for 25 years, it's home to me but I get that it can be scary for beginners. Still I assumed that people wanting to get every ounce of performance out of their hardware would have said goodbye to Windows anything long ago..

A mining rig like a server needs no display, nor does it need a mouse or even keyboard once setup. Power, ethernet, done.
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 05:33:19 AM

See that's the thing. Why do so many people mine on Windows? & why are they not using the MB onboard graphics instead of wasting one of their badass GPUs on a display? I've lived in the terminal for 25 years, it's home to me but I get that it can be scary for beginners. Still I assumed that people wanting to get every ounce of performance out of their hardware would have said goodbye to Windows anything long ago..

A mining rig like a server needs no display, nor does it need a mouse or even keyboard once setup. Power, ethernet, done.

Because Windows has great tools for GPU mining for one.  And if you use an external mining rig controller like Awesome Miner then you don't even need to ever use the console of a windows mining rig... just power, ethernet and done.

Bibi187

Activity: 420
Merit: 106

https://steemit.com/@bibi187

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2017, 08:29:13 AM

Linux is a problem for a lot of user, that why.
Window is much easy to get in hand and a lot of tool is developed in windows for OC + we have less driver fix / improvement for linux version.
Linux in other hand need a lot more setting to be efficient, so a lot of people just grab windows and follow what people do Wink

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
koody

Activity: 114
Merit: 20

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 02:01:59 PM

I will test nvOC  Smiley
siforek (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 05:56:25 PM

Linux is a problem for a lot of user, that why.
Window is much easy to get in hand and a lot of tool is developed in windows for OC + we have less driver fix / improvement for linux version.
Linux in other hand need a lot more setting to be efficient, so a lot of people just grab windows and follow what people do Wink

I guess that makes sense, to an extent. To me it just seems like there's a lot more miners than just the tech savvy ones. Which by no means is a bad thing, it's just funny to me when Youtube videos say "here's the really hard part" & it's editing 1 file with vi where all the variables have obvious names.

I'm just basing my opinion on that of Windows vs Linux in any other environment, servers for example. In which case yes Linux can take more time to setup & is far less than a 1 click solution, but the payoff for that is performance, reliability & the ability to customize/control far more aspects than in Windows.

However you have to admit that those using one of their GPUs for their display clearly missed something right? At least use onboard graphics.. I'll take a faster headless system any day, while I think some wouldn't leave the comfort of Windows no matter the performance boost.
LordX

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 12:37:20 PM

Here is 13 NVIDIA GPU's in 1 RIG in Windows 10
http://cryptomining-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/asrock-h110-pro-btc-plus-3.jpg
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 08:51:58 PM

why are they not using the MB onboard graphics instead of wasting one of their badass GPUs on a display?

Under LINUX, that would be because trying to get an iGPU working with AMD or NVidea discrete GPUs is a nightmare in recent times (less so if you have an AMD A-series and AMD discrete cards, but you still have to do unnatural things with xorg.conf if you want fan control or clock setting ability on the discrete cards).

Under Windows, NOT doing so is dumb and I don't understand it either, since Windows makes it so easy to get dissimilar GPUs to all work at the same time.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
siforek (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 02:32:23 AM

I see people asking why their hash rate goes down when they plug into their GPU, like they'd also expect to play super GPU intensive games while hashing at the same rate as when they're not lol..

Back to the original question. I'm 100% using Linux & I don't care if it takes more work to setup, I want the best. I'm gonna do 13x Gigabyte 1070 G1s, getting final part tomorrow(ram) & I still don't know what software to us. PiMP, ethOS, or Ubuntu with any of the various mining apps.

I wish there was a decent mining software comparison chart somewhere Tongue
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 08:12:16 PM

I run XUbuntu on all of my mining rigs, but I don't do riser rigs.

I'm not sure what the card limit on nvOS is - it's a Ubuntu-based mining-specific distribution and I think it specifically supports that 13-slot board so it MIGHT work "out of the box" for you.

I tried PiMP once - was very underwhelmed by the interface - but a lot of folks like it.

I don't like the "charge for it" aspect of ethOS, it doesn't seem to offer anything you can't find elsewhere in exchange for the cost.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
siforek (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 09:05:18 PM

I finally got the last parts I needed & built my rig last night Smiley I'm mining right now with PiMP & seems to be working well, but I may end up trying something else if needs be.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 10:33:11 PM

If it works, don't mess with it.

9-)

pepe1

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 04:01:21 AM

How can i setup the igpu for my monitor on Ubuntu/ Xubuntu ?
I run my monitor on gpu0 now.
Z270-P with 8 gtx 1060.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 07:54:20 PM

I tried to do that once - and figured out eventually that the Intel drivers don't "play nice" with anything else under Linux.

*IN THEORY*, you should be able to install the Intel drivers, then do a manual installation of the Nvidia drivers using their "don't install the openGL files" command line option - but I've found that option doesn't work against recent Intel or AMD drivers or it's just flat out broken in recent versions of the Nvidia drivers.

The penalty for running your monitor on one of your mining GPUs isn't big though - perhaps a percent or two - if you're just running the desktop on it and not actively doing anything on that desktop.

keksik

Activity: 169
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 09:56:12 PM

hello, is still 8gpu limit under windows 10 active? is there any way how to make 13gpus under windows working? have anyone heard about plans to update amd/nvidia drivers support to 19gpus under windows? i alredy have 13gpus udner ethos, but wanna switch back to windows 10.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 09:02:21 PM

The number of GPUs limit for Windows is a DRIVERS limit - neither AMD nor NVidia support more than 8 by default, though I think I've seen comments that there are a "work arounds" possible.

This is per manufacturer though - you should be able to set up a B250 Mining Pro under 64 bit Windows 7/8/10 with 8 x NVidia and 8 x AMD GPUs without needing a workaround.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: