Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:55:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I need help.  (Read 1205 times)
joehop67 (OP)

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:42:23 PM

Okay so I made my own altcoin and ran it in 4 different VM's. Now it is telling me that I have 70000 per-existing blocks on the network... a network that until recently has not existed. Why is this happening? and How can it be fixed?

1KmVXSbnjwtvxXKLGyD145CWJzZs6afkxL

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shakezula

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:52:28 PM

Doesn't sound like you changed your coin enough. Sound like its synched an existing blockchain...I think GME had that happen.
Hydroponica

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

fml

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:57:45 PM

Probably need to use a different port?

joehop67 (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:58:03 PM

Doesn't sound like you changed your coin enough. Sound like its synched an existing blockchain...I think GME had that happen.

Well I changed the irc channel and the ports. Plus I cannot connect to anybody unless I am running the program myself. Could it really be that? What could I do to fix this if this is what happened?

joehop67 (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:59:43 PM

My port is already pretty high... it is 10263. Do any other coins use that?

tom_o

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:30:13 AM

Your coin is trying to tell you that you've copied too much code. Do something original and it will work fine.
joehop67 (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:17:56 AM

Your coin is trying to tell you that you've copied too much code. Do something original and it will work fine.

I'm just trying to make my own personal currency. Just something to mess around with. Play with the code a little. Something for me and my friends to play with and work with. Just something simple... Something fun.

joehop67 (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 03:45:32 AM

Well I changed the irc channel and the ports. Plus I cannot connect to anybody unless I am running the program myself. Could it really be that? What could I do to fix this if this is what happened?

Okay so if I have changed the port and changed the IRC what else could possibly be causing this to happen? A problem with the genesis block? An error in the code maybe?

teamnigel

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 03:48:03 AM

You'll need a new genesis block. That's what happened with GameCoin actually, it had the same genesis block as FTC, so someone just took the FTC chain and added it to the GameCoin chain (not sure how, sorry).
joehop67 (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 03:49:55 AM

You'll need a new genesis block. That's what happened with GameCoin actually, it had the same genesis block as FTC, so someone just took the FTC chain and added it to the GameCoin chain (not sure how, sorry).

Really? I didn't even know this was possible. I just used the built in genesis block generator in smallchange. Anyway no need to be sorry, any help is very welcomed Thanks!!!

joehop67 (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 10:51:15 PM

Could it possibly be because I have the same checkpoints as the original smallchange (except for the 0 value one)?

TheSwede75

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 10:57:42 PM

I'm just trying to make my own personal currency. Just something to mess around with. Play with the code a little. Something for me and my friends to play with and work with. Just something simple... Something fun.

Let's remember this ^^^^^ when he launches 'derpcoin' in 24 hours Smiley
FrenchFriesKetchup

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 11:14:20 PM

As far as i know CNC uses the genesis block of FTC and FTC uses the genesis block of LTC. So think about that for a second.

In the meantime: there are two ports a rpc and a p2p port. Are you sure you changed both?

Another genesis block would ultimately solve this problem. But with the old p2p port (and the old dns and ip seeds) your blockchain would be blown up by orphaned blocks of the originial coin.
joehop67 (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 11:19:36 PM

As far as i know CNC uses the genesis block of FTC and FTC uses the genesis block of LTC. So think about that for a second.

In the meantime: there are two ports a rpc and a p2p port. Are you sure you changed both?

Another genesis block would ultimately solve this problem. But with the old p2p port (and the old dns and ip seeds) your blockchain would be blown up by orphaned blocks of the originial coin.

I never managed to mine any blocks because I got the 70000 blocks immediately after starting the program. I changed the port in rpc which appears twice but I wasn't aware of the p2p ports. Does this have to be related to the original port like the testnet is +10000 and the rpc port is +1? 

joehop67 (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 11:53:15 PM

Okay so I almost had it working. I think it might have been because I left the other checkpoints on there. So now its still telling me that I have to "catch up" though. Its also telling me that the last block downloaded was generated 32 days ago... that's impossible because the last block I made was 3 days ago. So I set up the new genesis block and I edited the checkpoints but it is still telling me that I need to catch up. What else is there to do?

MrWizard

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 12:03:17 AM

Okay so I almost had it working. I think it might have been because I left the other checkpoints on there. So now its still telling me that I have to "catch up" though. Its also telling me that the last block downloaded was generated 32 days ago... that's impossible because the last block I made was 3 days ago. So I set up the new genesis block and I edited the checkpoints but it is still telling me that I need to catch up. What else is there to do?
Have you tried deleting the block chain, changing the genesis block string, and generating a new genesis block?  You don't need checkpoints on a new block chain.

"I walked into the room dripping in Bitcoins.  Yea dripping in Bitcoins."
(BTC) 168DCCeGmDy3xTWRimLVhvKtK3yEWbpsSg     (LTC) LbYS8VFqFSU7B9bfaHD11seQMtrtYEKpLe
(BBQ) bNVZErvwLzpEG7H3kt1fycWspzRQB1MJzL
joehop67 (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 12:24:53 AM

Have you tried deleting the block chain, changing the genesis block string, and generating a new genesis block?  You don't need checkpoints on a new block chain.

I generating a new genesis block so that should be fine. Deleting the block chain just consists of deleting the blk######.dat files correct?

MrWizard

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 12:27:14 AM

I generating a new genesis block so that should be fine. Deleting the block chain just consists of deleting the blk######.dat files correct?
When you say you generated a new block chain, did you create it from  a new genesis string?  This is a key point I need to understand.

"I walked into the room dripping in Bitcoins.  Yea dripping in Bitcoins."
(BTC) 168DCCeGmDy3xTWRimLVhvKtK3yEWbpsSg     (LTC) LbYS8VFqFSU7B9bfaHD11seQMtrtYEKpLe
(BBQ) bNVZErvwLzpEG7H3kt1fycWspzRQB1MJzL
joehop67 (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 12:48:54 AM

Okay so I made my own altcoin and ran it in 4 different VM's. Now it is telling me that I have 70000 per-existing blocks on the network... a network that until recently has not existed. Why is this happening? and How can it be fixed?

What you did most likely is kept the same ports, irc channels, dns seeds and genesis block of another coin.  Which coin source did you download?  If this is the case, I think you need no offense to hang it up.

I will create a coin to your specs for 5 BTC  Cool

I don't have 5 btc lol. But I cloned the smallchange source, generated a new genesis block, changed the ports, and changed the irc channels. So that isn't the problem. But may I ask, what are DNS seeds? I may have changed all the other stuff that is necessary to be changed but I haven't seen anybody mention DNS seeds.

nocoin

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:00:36 AM

Okay so if I have changed the port and changed the IRC what else could possibly be causing this to happen? A problem with the genesis block? An error in the code maybe?
Lol, just changing the port doesn't makes new coin. You must at least change magic number aka pchMessageStart.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: