Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:46:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it worth it to build a 6 or 8 GPU mining rig today?  (Read 2627 times)
coinfoundry

Activity: 292
Merit: 100

Miningcore

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2017, 08:27:46 AM

NO

Mining is slowly dying especially with the Metropolis update for ETH

Emphasis on slowly though  Wink

Miningcore.pro - Stress-Free, Reliable Crypto Mining. Period.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Murtiya

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 08:50:09 AM

NO

We can move to other coins.
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 10:54:46 PM

It isn't worth. With Metropolis on ethereum he won't be profitable.(Today most people are mining ETH) Miners will go on other  coins and his difficult will drastically increase. Hardware is today so much expensive and Roi is about 9-10 months.
oisilener1982

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 12:08:04 AM

NO

Emphasis on slowly though  Wink

Other coins are NOT profitable. The only exception was Signatum when profit is more than triple or quadruple than ETH before the Halving

We waited and sold the coins for x3 it's original value during the 1st halving

Unfortunately it is dumping now and it got low volume @ Cryptopia because of the Crowetic Scam

Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 12:28:47 AM

NO

This is the biggest fallacy out there. Not the fact that you can move to other coins, as yes you definitely can, but in thinking that those coins can absorb all of Ethereum's current hashpower and still remain profitable to mine.

Even now people are still adding rigs daily, so even if Ethereum never went to PoS and remained a PoW coin, at some point the hashpower saturation will become so great that only those with super cheap or free power would be able to survive.

The only question is at which point this happens. External events such as price of a coin exponentially rising, such a ETH in the past year can delay the inevitable, but sooner or later the mining party will come to a spectacular end. So you not only need to consider if you can ROI within 7-8 months, but will enough profitable coins exist that can be mined long enough to keep this ship afloat.

Perhaps we get another "Ethereum" meaning a coin popular enough to absorb the hash-rate and keep the party going for awhile longer, but I think this blind trust in that mining will be profitable no matter what is a bit foolish.
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2017, 12:38:37 AM

NO

Emphasis on slowly though  Wink

Im confident devs wont let ETH mining die.

They said so themselves they are pushing POS to a later time, meaning they need miners to keep the ETH network moving. Given this, they also need to make ETH profitable to mine or nobody will do it leaving the ETH network slow and vulnerable.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
IamRune

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 12:52:54 AM

I'd say go for it.  There are several things to keep in mind though.  If you are looking to make a quick profit it would be better to just buy currency and wait a month or two for a 10-30% ROI.
However, if you are like me and enjoy the mining experience then you can do like I did.

I started out with 1 GPU rig of 6 480RXs.  I reinvested all of the revenue and I currently have over 80 GPUs.  My electric bill is over $700/mo.  My GPUs are bringing in nearly 4,000 a month.  However, Instead of cashing out or taking any profit i've been re-investing for hardware.  It's been an amazing journey over the last year. Not bad for an initial investment of $3000.  I now have close to $24,000 in equipment.  I wasn't in this for the money, just the experience.

The point of it all imo, is to have fun.  Re-invest all your profits and just see what happens.  My personal goal is to have 3,000 GPUs mining from the initial investment of $3,000.  Note:  I do pay the electric bill out of my pocket.

That is all.

Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2017, 12:59:34 AM

Whether or not it is "worth it" largely depends on your personal situation and preferences.

What do you pay for electricity?
How long are you willing to wait before breaking even on your initial investment?
How much faith do you have in cryptocurrency mining? You say you're "pretty new". New to cryptocurrencies in general? Just new to mining?
How will changes in difficulty skew your expected proceeds?
If you choose to sell your hardware at some point, how much can you expect to recover at that point?
etc.

To be clear, mining is not a get-rich-quick scheme. Sometimes, you can get very lucky when a coin skyrockets in value. However, those proceeds are derived from lucky speculation, and not mining alone. In certain cases, your original investment would've been better spent in obtaining cryptocurrencies directly, rather than purchasing hardware to mine.

(But running a mining rig is fun Tongue)

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
bdog1234 (OP)

Activity: 132

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 03:41:23 AM

Thanks guys.

I have been interested in cryptos for years but only started buying this year. When in graduate school (pre bitcoin) I had to take some graduate level math classes and one of them I chose was cryptography. Amazing stuff.

Financially I am set with very healthy savings, high income, etc and investing in this is of no big concern if I lose but I see the upside potential as huge. My plan is to invest around 30k with 1/3 of that on mining and the rest on just buying coins. It also has a huge hobby appeal to me as I used to love building computers.

I placed an order today for the components two build two rigs each running 6 gtx 1070's on biostar TB-250's with corsair hx1200i power supplies.
BennyT

Activity: 259
Merit: 108

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 07:29:57 PM

Don't try and time the market, just be in the market. Whether or not mining is worth it "today" changes every day. There were plenty of times bitcoin wasn't worth mining, but three years later you were happy you stayed in the game. It will be no different with Ethereum. Mine it now, & reap the rewards in a few years. Unless you believe cryptocurrency is dying, then obviously don't grab a rig.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: