Bitcoin Forum
December 12, 2017, 02:37:30 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trezor vs Ledger nano S.  (Read 4628 times)
Domenc

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 06:37:30 AM

Hello. I am using Trezor and I am very satisfied. What do you guys use? Trezor or Ledger? Why Trezor? Why Ledger?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 1064

http://www.mocacinno.com

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2017, 06:45:37 AM

Hello. I am using Trezor and I am very satisfied. What do you guys use? Trezor or Ledger? Why Trezor? Why Ledger?

I own a trezor, a ledger nano S and a ledger HW.1.
The biggest difference between them (IMHO) is the price Wink

The trezor supports a little bit more wallets, the ledger supports a little bit more altcoins... I like the native wallet from the ledger a little bit more than the native wallet of the trezor, altough the fact that you can sync the labels of your native trezor wallet is defenatly a plus.

It seems trezor is releasing new firmware more often than ledger (altough this can just be a gut feeling).

Another difference is entering the pin code:
- A ledger HW.1 will just let you enter the pincode with your numeric keypad
- A ledger Nano S is a bit harder, since you need to use the two buttons on the side to form your pin (which can be a little bit timeconsuming with 8 number pincodes)
- a trezor uses a random numeric keypad shown on its screen in combination with a blank keypad displayed on your screen... It is missing the '0' tough.

I think it all boils down to which coins you want to manage using your hardware wallet... If it's just BTC, you can pick both... If it's BTC and a certain type of altcoin, you might need to buy either the ledger or the trezor.
Also, the trezor ships from the Czech Republic (IIRC) ,the ledger ships from France, so it might save on the shipping time if you're close to one of these countries.

HeRetiK

Activity: 588

the forkings will continue until morale improves

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 07:47:34 AM

Ledger wasn't fully established yet and I already had read up a lot on Trezor. Simple as that Smiley Apart from that I've been following SatoshiLabs closely and am very happy with the way they handle security issue reports and firmware updates.

I own a trezor, a ledger nano S and a ledger HW.1.
The biggest difference between them (IMHO) is the price Wink

The trezor supports a little bit more wallets, the ledger supports a little bit more altcoins... I like the native wallet from the ledger a little bit more than the native wallet of the trezor, altough the fact that you can sync the labels of your native trezor wallet is defenatly a plus.

It seems trezor is releasing new firmware more often than ledger (altough this can just be a gut feeling).

Another difference is entering the pin code:
- A ledger HW.1 will just let you enter the pincode with your numeric keypad
- A ledger Nano S is a bit harder, since you need to use the two buttons on the side to form your pin (which can be a little bit timeconsuming with 8 number pincodes)
- a trezor uses a random numeric keypad shown on its screen in combination with a blank keypad displayed on your screen... It is missing the '0' tough.

I think it all boils down to which coins you want to manage using your hardware wallet... If it's just BTC, you can pick both... If it's BTC and a certain type of altcoin, you might need to buy either the ledger or the trezor.
Also, the trezor ships from the Czech Republic (IIRC) ,the ledger ships from France, so it might save on the shipping time if you're close to one of these countries.

Thanks for the writeup! Since I own a Trezor I always wondered what the other side looked like Smiley For what it's worth shipping time difference between France and the Czech Republc should be negligible (unless you live in either country of course).

nicosey

Activity: 140

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 05:53:24 PM

Trezor better UI and features.  Ledger more secure.

coin@coin
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 08:24:18 AM

Trezor is the first ever hardware wallet, Ledger came out not much later though.

They are both great choices and are priced accordingly. Ledger seems to have more models available.
mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2017, 08:43:05 AM

Is this your personal opinion, or is there a source to back this claim up? Personally, i like the ledger native UI better than trezor's, altough they offer similar functions. As for security: are there unpatched security flaws on the trezor???

drsmoketto

Activity: 63

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 09:33:17 AM

Having slightly more options in terms of alt coin compatibility with the ledger is what wins it for me

██████████  ✔  PoSToken - First PoS Smart Contract Token - Get Your Free Tokens Now!
█     PoSToken    █  ✔  Free Airdrop ●  No-ICO  ●  100% Annual Interest First Year
██████████  ✔  ANN ●  WebSite  ●  Twitter  ●  Slack  ●  Whitepaper
fossilized

Activity: 91

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 10:23:35 AM

I use both a trezor and a ledger. I do feel the UI of the trezor more appealing to me, but both serves its functions well. guess its down to price and availability if you had to make a call!

Btchunter3333

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 10:55:07 AM

Hello. Which of these are better in long time? Have this usb tools a during lifetime? Can them failure after a time ?

HeRetiK

Activity: 588

the forkings will continue until morale improves

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 04:10:38 PM

Is this your personal opinion, or is there a source to back this claim up? Personally, i like the ledger native UI better than trezor's, altough they offer similar functions. As for security: are there unpatched security flaws on the trezor???

All known security flaws with Trezor so far required physical access and were dealt with swiftly, with SatoshiLabs being transparent about both the flaws and how they were fixed. So unless there are any specific reports about unpatched security flaws I would be highly surprised if that were the case.

Does Ledger have any features that make securing it easier?

DigitalLemming

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 04:19:17 PM

Can't speak for Tezor however I have been extremely pleased with my Ledger Nano S. Easy to use, secure and versatile.
Btchunter3333

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 06:07:11 PM

Hello. Which of these are better in long time? Have this usb tools a during lifetime? Can them failure after a time ?

Anyone can answer please or nobody know answer?

mocacinno
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2017, 06:22:33 PM

Anyone can answer please or nobody know answer?

Offcourse it can fail, and offcourse it has a certain lifetime... Every piece of hardware breaks in the end... I haven't looked up the number of uses a trezor or a ledger have, but you can rest assured that after x thousand uses, these hardware wallets will fail.
Fixing this problem is one of the many uses of the recovery seed...

cattani30

Activity: 238

Patience is the key to success

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 06:59:26 PM

I own both trezor and ledger, i like trezor more because its builtin quality is far better then ledger and i also like the fact that you have all the wallets installed on it. With ledger because of the low space you always have to choose wich wallets to install/uninstall in order to make room for others

Jincor
Genuinely simple smart contracts and cryptocurrency transactions for any business
Whitepaper FacebookTwitterTelegramLinkedin
Jincor ICO 1st of December, 2017
xSkyer

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 10:25:37 PM

I have just got my Ledger Nano S and I can recommend it. It is easy to use, supports many different cryptocurrencies (and there is also planned support for a new ones). I chose it because it was cheaper than Trezor. When I was ordering it, website said that they will ship it out on 14th September, but I got it 2 days ago! That was blazingly fast!
bitart

Activity: 700

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 05:06:38 PM

I have just got my Ledger Nano S and I can recommend it. It is easy to use, supports many different cryptocurrencies (and there is also planned support for a new ones). I chose it because it was cheaper than Trezor. When I was ordering it, website said that they will ship it out on 14th September, but I got it 2 days ago! That was blazingly fast!
I have also ordered a Ledger nano S, I was also told that it won't ship before 15th September. They were right, and they have not shipped it still. Has anyone ordered Ledger Nano S recently? I would be curious about the current shipping experiences to EU.

muvie

Activity: 294

The Movement DAO

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 06:49:13 PM

Is it possible to use both hardware wallets with Electrum software wallet and MEW?
xSkyer

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 08:00:26 PM

Is it possible to use both hardware wallets with Electrum software wallet and MEW?

Yes! You can use Ledger Nano S with Electrum and MyEtherWallet without any problem. I'm using my Ledger with MyEtherWallet because it allows me to manage my tokens and Expanse. Ledger has a dedicated app for Ethereum but in my opinion it lacks many features. They are now focused on development of new multiplatform app which will allow to manage all your cryptocurrencies stored on your Ledger with one program. I don't know much about Trezor though.
Marbella_Broker

Activity: 112

Find out who you are and do it on purpose

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 09:32:54 PM

No harm in owning both.

How ever I believe it be easier to hide a Nano Ledger in your butthole than a Trezor. Travel restrictions an' all you know.
Salmen
Legendary

Activity: 939

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2017, 10:20:44 PM

Would prefer Ledger Nano S alone with the cryptocurrencies you can store (BTC, ETH, LTC). The security model is bit different but it uses the offline-verification which is a secure way.  Moreover, the team behind Ledger Wallet gives high priority when a fork is coming and prepares the right update.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.