Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 05:46:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet getting blocked?  (Read 676 times)
Danielpeters (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 11:47:46 AM

Is it possible for any reason that your wallet gets blocked?  Huh
nexus99
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 11:58:22 AM

I don't think so. But some shit can probably happen to an online wallet, if it's issued by a scammy third party
ekoice

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 12:09:17 PM

Yes,i too don't think that it could happen.Only one issue with the wallet would be that if you miss your private keys.But while using the wallets,we should first ensure that we really download wallet from the official website or not.For example,recently when hard fork happened and new BCC coins were created and many got free BCC coins equal to the number of bitcoins,one person has downloaded a wallet from Electrum cash.com which was later changed to Electron cash.com.He has lost his 40 bitcoins since it was a wallet from a fake website and instead,he should have downloaded it from the official website Electrum.org.
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 12:12:26 PM

a bitcoin wallet is just a tool that generates a random number! you see it as a new bitcoin address and also it uses the keys it generated to sign a transaction which is in fact proving ownership of those transaction outputs and is the process of spending bitcoin.
none of these can be blocked.

what people are saying "blocked" is not a bitcoin wallet, it is an account with a third party (like coinbase for example) and that is not a wallet.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
MMysterious

Activity: 972
Merit: 255

Bear season or just the beginning

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 12:23:31 PM

Yes it could happen if you have an online wallet, I think I've read it in a thread here that it happened to him. I just forgot from which thread I read it from or if it was deleted already.
Cloud27

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 12:39:02 PM

It depends what is the blocked means in your question. To my understanding it is possible that your wallet is blocked because you violated a certain rule. Like one of my wallet provider rules is not to engage your wallet in gambling, ransom, scamming or any illegal activities. That alone is a possibility of blocking your wallet.
bamboylee

Activity: 1148
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 12:54:46 PM

It depends what is the blocked means in your question. To my understanding it is possible that your wallet is blocked because you violated a certain rule. Like one of my wallet provider rules is not to engage your wallet in gambling, ransom, scamming or any illegal activities. That alone is a possibility of blocking your wallet.

This only happens to online wallet and exchange wallets. It is owned by a third party so they can block your access to it. But if you are holding your private keys, they cannot block your access. You can easily import your bitcoins to another wallet if you do not have access to your current wallet.
Danielpeters (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 02:04:39 PM

a bitcoin wallet is just a tool that generates a random number! you see it as a new bitcoin address and also it uses the keys it generated to sign a transaction which is in fact proving ownership of those transaction outputs and is the process of spending bitcoin.
none of these can be blocked.

what people are saying "blocked" is not a bitcoin wallet, it is an account with a third party (like coinbase for example) and that is not a wallet.

thanks!  Cheesy
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 09:24:44 PM

There is no feature in the protocol that allows the consensus to "blacklist" or "block" a wallet. Well, you can get blacklisted technically, if your coins are coming form a wallet known to contain stolen coins. They could get confiscated when they arrive at a reputable exchange (they would be facilitating money laundering if they allow those coins to trade there). But unless this occurs, which is essentially an account restriction, you can't get your wallet 'locked' by a third party. You can lock access to your wallet, but the address would still be able to receive transactions. Just not make them.
franco123

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 09:46:07 AM

Yes this is possible. A lot of people really are there not to help but instead to scam. So be careful on choosing what Bitcoin wallet you will be using. Make sure that it is trust worthy because they can easily scam people by poofing out of the picture taking all the Bitcoins in their accounts gone and be cashed out for them. They might say it is just blocked or something like that as their excuse but never believe that easily. If ever it happened, there will be a due process for it and you can sue them forthat scam and you have a strong position if you can tap on everybody who were scamed to join the filing.
Zalfa_mui

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 01:42:12 AM

I've never heard a wallet can be blocked, but it could happen only in the wallet online and has found a crime, save your private key safely, don't give your private key to a third person

Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 01:47:12 AM

If you run your wallet on your own PC, or locally, then there is no way it can randomly get "blocked". However, if it is on a 3rd party then it is possible that the site could shut down or get hacked and you would lose access to your wallet(s) there. This is why it is always recommended to only keep crypto on 3rd party sites for a brief time.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
Josepht

Activity: 1008
Merit: 515

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2017, 01:49:03 AM

Yes, online your wallet can get blocked, if the provider decides to do so.

That's why you should always store as much of your coins as possible in a wallet where you are the only one that controlls the private keys. If you do that, no one can block you to send/keep/do whatever (with) your coins.
Kaller

Activity: 752
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 03:10:06 AM

Which wallet is it though?

Realistically, only an online wallet can get blocked. Your personal local wallet can never be blocked unless your PC is hacked, then obviously it could.
Daimon88

Activity: 397

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 06:55:58 AM

I don’t think its ever possible except there is a security glitch somewhere, your wallet is a personal stuff and I don’t think there should be any reason for it getting blocked since there is even no regulation in the bitcoin market.
n4poleon

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 07:19:52 AM

ofcourse, your ISP can block or throttle your traffic related to cryptocurrencies. Can you tell us more how is it blocked?
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 07:32:28 AM

Yes,i too don't think that it could happen.Only one issue with the wallet would be that if you miss your private keys.But while using the wallets,we should first ensure that we really download wallet from the official website or not.For example,recently when hard fork happened and new BCC coins were created and many got free BCC coins equal to the number of bitcoins,one person has downloaded a wallet from Electrum cash.com which was later changed to Electron cash.com.He has lost his 40 bitcoins since it was a wallet from a fake website and instead,he should have downloaded it from the official website Electrum.org.
i think you missed the question, i think the op was trying to ask if his transactions from his wallet could be prevented from being processed, not if his wallet could be compromised.
and yes, it can. to my understanding, if big pools and miners set it so that transactions originating from addresses known to be contained in your wallet (technically, it would only have to be addresses containing the coins you are trying to spend in a particular transaction) then your transactions would not be processed. however, if a miner or pool not blocking your addresses were to find the block, and your transaction was included in that block, it would be processed. this (again, to my understanding. someone can correct me if im wrong) is the same idea that allowed the services that sped up transactions to work.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 07:53:46 AM

There is no feature in the protocol that allows the consensus to "blacklist" or "block" a wallet. Well, you can get blacklisted technically, if your coins are coming form a wallet known to contain stolen coins. They could get confiscated when they arrive at a reputable exchange (they would be facilitating money laundering if they allow those coins to trade there). But unless this occurs, which is essentially an account restriction, you can't get your wallet 'locked' by a third party. You can lock access to your wallet, but the address would still be able to receive transactions. Just not make them.

Realistically though, there is no way that this is the case with OP. He is too much of a noob to get blacklisted by an exchange for trying to launder stolen coins. hahaha

With that said, this is good news. I don't know what exactly the issue is, but at least your wallet isn't actually blocked. Tongue

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
CryptoBeefy

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 07:58:33 AM

Depends on your wallet type. I believe certain online wallets can become blocked but you'd have to check the holders criteria.
KuromaYoichi

Activity: 756
Merit: 251

Sovryn - 300-500% APY on USDT Deposit

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 08:00:50 AM

I don't think that's possible if you own the private key but if you use some 3rd party wallet or online wallet where you don't have the private key, it's possible that you can't access your own wallet. Because of that a lot of people recommend not to use online wallet.

.The DeFi for Bitcoin Platform.            ███   ███
           ███   ███
          ███   ███
         ███   ███
        ███   ███
       ███   ███
      ███   ███
     ███   ███
    ███   ███
   ███   ███
  ███   ███
 ███   ███