Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:55:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What I want in a client  (Read 1035 times)
EmilyClark (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 06:13:32 PM

Is there a wishlist for what people want in a client? If not, let's start one. Here are some of my ideas. Feel free to add:

* Encryption automatically built in. I mean, really...

* Multiple wallets. You can save wallets to locations of your choice. Open multiple wallets at once (for example, in tabs).

* Save / load layout of tabs. Automatically load the last tabs layout.

* Big red panic button. What this does is:
1- Creates a brand new wallet
2- Opens all the other wallets that the client remembers ever opening
3- Sends all the money from all these wallets to the newly created wallet.

* Instead of showing the number of confirmations for each transaction, make it easier / more graphical. Maybe "unconfirmed", "receiving confirmation", and "confirmed", or something similar. Advanced users will be able to change the view to see the number of confirmations.

* A plugin for buying / selling / trading bitcoins on popular exchanges.
1- Send money to the exchange and request it from the exchange with a click of a button.
2- Look at latest quotes.
3- Trade

* A plugin for mining bitcoins. GUIMiner built into the client.

... Other ideas?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yatta99

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I need an new box...

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 06:41:03 PM

A changelog that tells us what has been added, removed, changed, or fixed?

I saw the new version sitting at the 'official site' and looked around for one. Nothing at bitcoin.org that I could find. Nothing at the sourceforge site that I could find. Nothing in the downloaded package. The only thing I could tell was different was that the version number changed. Even if it was just a simple text file with:

Code:
0.3.23 Changelog
-----------------

- incremented version number
- fixed bugs #199, #225, #227 (see sourceforge bug tracker for more information)
- added hooks for future encryption feature
- one of the team had a birthday.... Woohoo! Getting old there dude!

I'd be ok with that  Grin This is, after all, a program that's suppose to handle and track millions in real money and not just be some kids in their mom's basement playing WoW  Wink

Tips for new box to: 16s14wcsNo5TcdsGLttL7B1XWiCv8E4L6A
ollybee

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 07:54:55 PM

I think it's important that mining is added back into the default client. While an individuals chance of solving a block would be small the overall effect would be to distribute coins more fairly. one of the biggest obstacles to bitcoins success is the perception that it is unfair and sewn up by greedy miners. Allowing everyone their chance of free coins no matter the small allows people to think of the system more like a lottery which is palatable and easily understood by the general public.

I like t think bitcoin will become the defacto standard for micropayment access to web sites and applications.
rather than have each site reinvent the wheel this could be managed in a consistent way with a plug in to the client. 
BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 08:46:31 PM

I think it's important that mining is added back into the default client. While an individuals chance of solving a block would be small the overall effect would be to distribute coins more fairly. one of the biggest obstacles to bitcoins success is the perception that it is unfair and sewn up by greedy miners. Allowing everyone their chance of free coins no matter the small allows people to think of the system more like a lottery which is palatable and easily understood by the general public.

I like t think bitcoin will become the defacto standard for micropayment access to web sites and applications.
rather than have each site reinvent the wheel this could be managed in a consistent way with a plug in to the client. 
totally agree here. I am not a fan of having to install several things to have it actually work.
I understand it's beta and I have no issues working with beta software, but going forward it really all needs to be combined.
Coming from doing dnet crunching it would be ideal to have a client like that. Such as being able to choose/benchmark different algorithms.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 09:01:43 PM

Is there a wishlist for what people want in a client? If not, let's start one. Here are some of my ideas. Feel free to add:

* Encryption automatically built in. I mean, really...

Native wallet encryption is in the to-do list, but isn't already because the idea is to establish a solid reference design that code forks could base new clients from, each solving security issues in a differnet way.  This prevents a bug in one client from leaving them all exposed at once.  Monolithic software design is prone to security issues directly related to it's monolithic design.  Take Microsoft for example.

* Multiple wallets. You can save wallets to locations of your choice. Open multiple wallets at once (for example, in tabs).

Almost certainly will happen, but don't count on it in the main client.  Again, the main client is only a working reference design.  Features not critical to the function of such a client will have to be added by others.

* Save / load layout of tabs. Automatically load the last tabs layout.

Same as above

* Big red panic button. What this does is:
1- Creates a brand new wallet
2- Opens all the other wallets that the client remembers ever opening
3- Sends all the money from all these wallets to the newly created wallet.

A panic dump, and interesting idea.  Still an unnecessary feature that will have to be added by others.

* Instead of showing the number of confirmations for each transaction, make it easier / more graphical. Maybe "unconfirmed", "receiving confirmation", and "confirmed", or something similar. Advanced users will be able to change the view to see the number of confirmations.

1- Send money to the exchange and request it from the exchange with a click of a button.
2- Look at latest quotes.
3- Trade

... Other ideas?

I've one.  Help write these features.  Put them into a forked client.  Name it something else.  Does anyone here still use the original bittorrentd to download torrent files?  I have in the past, but not in years.  The programmers working on the guts of bitcoin are probably not particularly good at implimenting popular features or even user interface designs.  This would be a misuse of their time, anyway.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
EmilyClark (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 02:51:02 PM

I've one.  Help write these features.  Put them into a forked client.  Name it something else.  Does anyone here still use the original bittorrentd to download torrent files?  I have in the past, but not in years.  The programmers working on the guts of bitcoin are probably not particularly good at implimenting popular features or even user interface designs.  This would be a misuse of their time, anyway.

Hi MoonShadow,

Thanks for replying. I am contributing in the one way I can (at least for now) -- coming up with ideas. Smiley
EmilyClark (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 04:29:36 PM

Is there a single place where people can write down their client wishlist?
Eri

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 05:30:35 PM

would love to see poold mining in the client by default, setup so that the users are spread out over several pools automaticly, and accounts created for these users automaticly and upon getting .01 BTC or perhaps once week/month have the money transferd to their wallet itself. basicly program loads, if option to do mining is on then it just starts mining in the background for the user, with *no* setup by them required. as someone said, 'it would help disperse the wealth' and should require *no* working knowledge of anything. perfect for new users or those that dont understand how these things work or dont care to take the time.

if you want people to use bitcoin, one important step is making mining Easy, with *no* setup or anything needing to be read.
harmal

Activity: 33

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 05:42:01 PM

i really like the idea of tabs and multiple wallets in the client. most people have multiple wallet in different place anyway so this would just make it easier.
EmilyClark (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 05:47:44 PM

There are also escrow services and mixers. Would be nice to have plugins for those too.. Smiley
UniverseMan

Activity: 26

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:11:38 PM

... Other ideas?
Rather than specific plugins, I'd like to see plugins at all. Right now the client is what it is, and any other bitcoin related behavior has to be managed with separately running applications. The ability to download and install plugin that could change the behavior of the bitcoin client itself would be a huge plus.
BrainBot

Activity: 30

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 07:03:56 PM

More security!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: