Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:11:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens if BTC gets regulated?  (Read 2132 times)
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 11:51:00 PM

I wonder what will happen if it gets regulated by the government? value would go down? perhaps consolidation?

Overall , what's the general outlook? Obviously, I understand it'll be personal opinion but still. Go ahead and share. I'll get to learn something new.

The general consensus is that regulation means mainstream acceptance and therefore mainstream adoption. So, regulation = moon. As much as I like to be a contrarian trader and trade against the popular sentiment, it's a reasonable take.

Governments left and right seem to be preparing for Bitcoin (and other cryptocurrencies and blockchain tokens) to be a legitimate part of the financial and technology sectors. That means that investors (both public and institutional) can't be all that far behind. Whatever happens in the short term, this technology is here to stay, and money will continue flowing into the ecosystem.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
yudas8822

Activity: 336
Merit: 120

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 12:48:58 AM

if the goverment make rules about the use bitcoin then public will know about bitcoin, of course if many public know maybe the price bitcoin will be grow high, because more people need then price more higher.
milewilda
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1127

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 01:23:07 AM

Hello,

Just read somewhere that BTC is accepted by strippers now? lol

I wonder what will happen if it gets regulated by the government? value would go down? perhaps consolidation?

Overall , what's the general outlook? Obviously, I understand it'll be personal opinion but still. Go ahead and share. I'll get to learn something new.

Strippers accepting bitcoin isnt still considered as a legal thing because anyone could really accept bitcoin as a payment to their service or any work that they have done. Thinking off on centralizing bitcoin isnt possible for sure knowing that its a decentralized cryptocurrency and taxation and legalizing it would really be hard for governments thats why they do decide to block it either.

subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 02:18:33 AM

How should governments be able to regulate bitcoin? It is a decentralized currency. But governments surely are planning their own cryptocurrencies and also financial institutes.
there's a lot the governments of the world are capable of that we don't know about. i think i remember reading something about some of the 3 letter agencies being able to geolocate TOR exit nodes and physical server locations based off of calculating exact response times from various points, and i think this was around 1 1/2 years ago maybe? no telling what they're capable of without being involved.

if the goverment make rules about the use bitcoin then public will know about bitcoin, of course if many public know maybe the price bitcoin will be grow high, because more people need then price more higher.
the opposite effect is possible; bitcoin was meant to be a decentralized currency, and regulation does imply centralization (to an extent). this may turn off many users from bitcoin, or just cause the price to tank. that being said, im no expert in economics or the effects of outside influences on the market.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
Reid

Activity: 2884
Merit: 642

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 02:24:15 AM

And there it goes. The strippers.  Grin
How should governments be able to regulate bitcoin? It is a decentralized currency. But governments surely are planning their own cryptocurrencies and also financial institutes.
Japan did it so why not every country.
It can be done but needs a lot of deep reasearch in how they will do it specially when we are talking about a large country.
Japan is great with their technology and not all countries have the same greatness.
Machines that will make the transaction faster needs to be created and they will need investors for that.
xuan87
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 02:33:10 AM

It is a good currency for everyone, so no wonder a stripper accept your coin, if the government regulate Bitcoin then the price can be up and will be used by a lot of people which will be good for publication and can lead to Bitcoin pumping, but you won't have an anonymity transaction anymore, all of your transactions will be regulate and being watched

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░
░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░██████░
░░░░░░░██████░░░░░█░░░░░████████░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░░███░░░████░░███░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░██░██░████░░███░░█████░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░██░░█░███░░███░░██████░░
░░░░░░░░░███████░██░█░█░░░███░░██████░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░███░░░███░░░█████░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░██░░████░░░░░░██░░░██████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░████░░░░░██████░░░█████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███░░░█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▂▂ ▃▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ TeraWATT █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃▃ ▂▂
Global LED Adoption Through Blockchain Technology
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒『ICO IS LIVE』≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
WEBSITE』『WHITEPAPER
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
TWITTER』『TELEGRAM
Cloud27

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 02:35:54 AM

If it gets regulated by the government, there will be less strippers. Do you want or not to have less strippers on the market? Maybe some of these strippers will wonder and learn, where the bitcoin came from and by themselves they will be the one investing to earn the bitcoin.
error08

Activity: 1036
Merit: 514

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 02:39:15 AM

Regulations regarding bitcoin payment is something that we've been waiting for, especially if it stated as legal payment such as happened in Japan.
Without regulations, many companies and businesses don't want to accept bitcoin, but after it get regulated, we may achieve massive adoption.
Many people will intrigued to learn about bitcoin and more adopters will realize many advantages of bitcoin instead of just using fiat currency.
Beparanf

Activity: 2758
Merit: 761

Burpaaa

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 02:50:42 AM

If it gets regulated by the government, there will be less strippers. Do you want or not to have less strippers on the market? Maybe some of these strippers will wonder and learn, where the bitcoin came from and by themselves they will be the one investing to earn the bitcoin.
I hope government will not deal into btc , there are more issues that they need to give more importance than making buzz on crypto world. They can put tax on establishments regulating btc but let crypto world alone for us to have freedom on what were going to do in our investments.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
diagla

Activity: 161

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 02:55:58 AM

If it's regulated then a lot of people will still go under the radar. That's the point of BTC in the first place - anonymity. However, if they really get serious about regulation then nothing will be anonymous anymore. The governments will be able to track every payment that's made as the blockchain is public.

There are two price scenarios that I envision if regulation happens:

1. Price goes up because people think BTC is safer to trade and less volatile (much like people were hoping with ETF).

2. Price will crash and burn because BTC has almost no advantages anymore compared to fiat. People panic and stop using BTC because they're scared of government intervention.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 04:04:00 AM

If it's regulated then a lot of people will still go under the radar. That's the point of BTC in the first place - anonymity. However, if they really get serious about regulation then nothing will be anonymous anymore. The governments will be able to track every payment that's made as the blockchain is public.

There are two price scenarios that I envision if regulation happens:

1. Price goes up because people think BTC is safer to trade and less volatile (much like people were hoping with ETF).

2. Price will crash and burn because BTC has almost no advantages anymore compared to fiat. People panic and stop using BTC because they're scared of government intervention.

I think Scenario #2 is very unlikely. It's true that with blockchain analysis companies like Chainalysis and Elliptic getting more sophisticated and beginning to work closely with law enforcement agencies that Bitcoin is increasingly transparent. It is becoming pretty difficult to avoid linking your identity to at least some transactions you've made.

However, I don't think that necessarily means that BTC has no advantages compared to fiat money. The original intent of BTC was to create a trustless, irreversible payment network, and nothing has changed about it in that regard. Privacy would be nice, and hopefully things like TumbleBit and Confidential Transactions will help in that regard.
dimox
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 04:11:09 AM

It might be a good thing, because when bitcoin is regulated then bitcoin will be used for good, and I do not think the price will affect it if bitcoin is regulated, because the bitcoin community is so big that it will not be so bad for bitcoin
illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 04:29:06 AM

Regulations regarding bitcoin payment is something that we've been waiting for, especially if it stated as legal payment such as happened in Japan.
Without regulations, many companies and businesses don't want to accept bitcoin, but after it get regulated, we may achieve massive adoption.
Many people will intrigued to learn about bitcoin and more adopters will realize many advantages of bitcoin instead of just using fiat currency.

Regulated or not, massive adoption is underway. It's just a question of "when." I think what the general public is really waiting for is guidance from the SEC. The LedgerX approval was a great sign of what is to come; now we are all just waiting for an ETF. Once the SEC gives the green light, I think the general public, as well as institutions, will be piling into cryptocurrencies for the long haul. People will be putting crypto in their retirement funds and trading bitcoin ETFs through E-trade. It's going to be a different world.
Nameless27

Activity: 322
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 04:36:20 AM

As the prices in high rate now and the chance for other people used it in illegal way it is how the government attention goes to it. If it goes beyond the needs of they're citizens it is when they will talked about regulating this. And so on, and so forth. In the end regulation of one country always comes from the clamor of its people and you must have to abide to it for majority wins.
Yanisumin

Activity: 648
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 04:37:29 AM

Of course BTC ( cryptocurrencies ) will be regulated but its not the price or its not BTC itself. They will implement rules and regulations regarding the exchanges of cryptocurrencies where it will differ in different countries. In order ti make what we call global currency the government must take part of these and of course they will implement things that will be best suited for the protection of the owner itself of the cryptocurrencies unless they will try to dominate again ( like what they are doing to fiat ) the system of cryptocurrencies.

Yuhee

Activity: 546
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 04:48:23 AM

As the prices in high rate now and the chance for other people used it in illegal way it is how the government attention goes to it. If it goes beyond the needs of they're citizens it is when they will talked about regulating this. And so on, and so forth. In the end regulation of one country always comes from the clamor of its people and you must have to abide to it for majority wins.

Hard to ignore something that this high amount value. so i guess even if government gives a go signal for its regulation then a lot of people could really manipulate it more freely than doing transaction behind the governments back. Well for me, im just doing small transactions so nothing illegal but you really track btc transaction if it's legal or not so that's also one has catch of btc.
Doms

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 04:56:33 AM

If regulation leads to more usage and more people seeing the benefits of using crypto currencies, then it's all good with me. There have been a lot of countries setting regulations on how to go about our bitcoin transactions. Countries like Japan, South Korea and Australia are some of the countries leading the way in terms of regulation, which contributed to more usage for bitcoin over the last year. I am sure more countries are going to do the same thing in years to come given how bitcoin has steadily and slowly made it to the mainstream in some places.
BCMB

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2017, 05:08:25 AM

I think some regulation could help with mainstream adoption in some aspects. I'm always surprised by the number of people that are scared off by Bitcoin because they think that its some currency used by Terrorists and for buying drugs on the darknet. Obviously to us this isn't the case, but your average soccer mom is going to use it then she needs to feel safe doing so.

Juggy777

Activity: 2646
Merit: 686

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 05:18:10 AM

Hello,

Just read somewhere that BTC is accepted by strippers now? lol

So you mean to say just cause it's accepted by strippers that it shall be regulated, let's say it's regulated it's price is not really impacted, look at Japan for example, as soon as they regulated the coin it's price shot up, related coins have their pros and cons but Japan regulations gave us the boost, and I feel it shall Bitcoin take new heights but then again it shall leave us vulnerable against the government, taxes and all so ya would prefer if it's not regulated.
n4poleon

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 05:25:33 AM

You may want to elaborate further when you say regulation. Traditionally, regulation means taking out the responsibility from the participants and taking all the responsibilities in an organization. Bitcoin is already regulated by design since its inception. No need for government regulation, doing so will just reverse the benefits intended for the people. The old fashioned law enforcement is still somehow effective when tracing down illegal activities.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: