Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:32:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens if BTC gets regulated?  (Read 2132 times)
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 05:45:42 AM

I wonder what will happen if it gets regulated by the government? value would go down? perhaps consolidation?

effects of regulation is no longer a guess because it has already happened on a large scale. before when bitcoin was not regulated in any country you could only guess that such as such may happen if it someday became regulated. but ever since Japan regulated bitcoin we have a real life example.
here are the results:
1. huge adoption by investors
2. huge adoption by different merchants
3. with removal of taxes the adoption by merchants grew even more
4. finally the price went up from $1000 to $4000 (although most of it was because of scaling and SegWit but Japan was very effective also).

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 05:51:05 AM

Hello,

Just read somewhere that BTC is accepted by strippers now? lol

I wonder what will happen if it gets regulated by the government? value would go down? perhaps consolidation?

Overall , what's the general outlook? Obviously, I understand it'll be personal opinion but still. Go ahead and share. I'll get to learn something new.

If bitcoin gets regulated, the outcome of that will be hard to determine  though but the fact is that its already regulated in some advanced countries but we are still standing strong so I guess this will follow through and it might eventually bring confidence of large corporations into the game as this is what will really make bitcoin get to the point of massive adoption which we are all hoping for but this won't coke cheap though.
WinVery.com

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 05:56:46 AM

Regulation requires interdiction.  Bitcoin by design prevents this.  If they could they would. 
tosmartak

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2017, 06:10:23 AM

Then the whole essence of having a decentralised currency gets dashed. However, we can't really say now until we start seeing how it plays out. I think Japan is doing something like this in a way but bitcoin has already been designed in such a way that huge external influence cannot regulate it anyway they wish like the usual fiats.
krishnapramod
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 07:16:51 AM

Hello,

Overall , what's the general outlook? Obviously, I understand it'll be personal opinion but still. Go ahead and share. I'll get to learn something new.

Governments regulating or legalizing Bitcoin would obviously lead to mass adoption and thus increase in value. Bitcoins can't be directly regulated, governments can't control it, but indirect regulations are possible. As a currency or an asset, governments can enforce their currency/asset laws on Bitcoin and they are doing it.
Hotel_Prodeo

Activity: 588
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 07:42:07 AM

This is the thing I'm really looking forward to, we all know that bitcoin users are jumping significantly and it's about time for a special rule for bitcoin. Bitcoin is the latest payment system so state support is needed.

OOOBTC.com

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬

Bounty
illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 07:46:00 AM

Then the whole essence of having a decentralised currency gets dashed.

How so? This was always a possibility, if Bitcoin were to gain mainstream traction. The protocol and node/miner distribution are still decentralized, no matter how governments try to regulate their populations' use of BTC.

Aside from banning mining operations or exchanges inside their own jurisdiction and regulating/licensing exchanges and other services that interface with their populations, there isn't much governments can do. People can and will still transact freely within the crypto economy. It's the fiat gateways that are the focus for them.
HarleyQuinn9876

Activity: 209

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 08:13:31 AM

Hello,

When the government manages bitcoin there will be many problems. If bitcoin is managed the money you earn will be taxed, your income will be tightly controlled by the government, the price of bitcoin will be more stable and not explode as the past time may even decrease. Fraudulent phenomena are less likely to occur when government interferes

❤   humancoin   ❤   Join our whitelist!      ❤   humancoin   ❤
███████                  A new era of charity                    ███████
▄ ▄ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  Telegram | Reddit | Medium | Twitter | ANN Thread | Facebook   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄
drwhobox

Activity: 756
Merit: 133

- hello doctor who box

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 08:16:29 AM

Here in our country Bitcoin is regulated by the goverment. You'll need to issue them a goverment Id so that you can withdraw the money.

Regulating bitcoin will just make them invest onto bitcoin and demand would be high.
universalresonance (OP)

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 04:32:07 PM

Some things are being blown out of proportion.

When I said accepted by "strippers" - I meant it in a way - as to -an industry entirely cash dependent went straight to BTC- maybe I come from a backward land but here I've never seen strippers accept Credit card let alone BTC

You are using Japan as an example however, Japan's economy is messed up beyond repair- they are only progressing because of almost negative rate interest. I forget the year but soon they will be paying more in interest to bond holders than they would be earning through income.

Japan's debt to GDP is 400% -that is insane! try showing that to your bank and see if you can get a mortgage. The only reason their economy hasn't crashed is because they keep issuing more bonds and debt. They haven't missed single interest payment that's why the wheels are rolling. (Credit card minimum payment example)

Also, most of us (assuming) are puny investors- we don't know how much black money is actually invested into BTC or traded through BTC. If there is a slight hint of government intervention which could reveal users Identity- do you think those big ballers would take that chance? How do we know the exchanges aren't already doing money laundry ?

Human trafficking,drug trading so on and so forth- all could be done via BTC privately.

These are the arguments governments can used to crackdown on BTC.  Always a flip side. I'm just an observer and I'm here to learn from all you experienced people.

Some exchanges already impose limit of daily 2500 USD and if you want to withdraw it in fiat more than 25k then ID proof, residence proof and so forth.

An ideal scenario could be- these limits stay in place- however, government starts accepting payments in BTC- or BTC gets regulated as an acceptable method of payment by all. For example- instead of going through a middleman- I could simply pay Visa, mastercard payment via BTC. Right now we have to use a middle man.
Wintersoldier

Activity: 966
Merit: 274

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 04:38:38 PM

Why it would go down? regulating bitcoin will only make the people who are skeptical about it to give it a shot and invest in it, this means more demand and result in a higher price instead. The adult industry (including strippers) was one of the first to accept bitcoin, I believe its only due to the reason on how you can't trace the payments etc. otherwise they would stick to old methods.
Regulation may happen if Bitcoin would have legalization by the government on a specific country. So the best thing to do is to try Bitcoin now and to support its system as early as possible so whenever it comes the time that bitcoin would regulated on some matters there are some development a part to its transaction as a form of investment for future purposes.
UsernameBitcoin

Activity: 530
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 04:49:39 PM

So what? Bitcoin will definitely get regulated without any question. There is no doubt about it the government will step in and try to control crypto we need to stand up and fight against it if they try to take it down!

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
swscowods

Activity: 419

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 05:37:01 AM

Hello,

If the market start getting regulated and the affairs being managed by a group of people then the market is going to crash in no time, because people are rushing to the market because there is no regulation or legal framework.
red4slash

Activity: 1288
Merit: 424

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 09:51:37 AM

Yes my answer is almost the same as you. If the government set the strongest currency that bitcoin probably will not jump so high as now but postifnya definitely bitcoin prices stable. And also surely many other restrictions that conflict with the rules now.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBITCRYPTO
FUTURES
[
1,000x
LEVERAGE
][
COMPETITIVE
FEES
][
INSTANT
EXECUTION
]██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
TRADE NOW
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Kingofbitcoin12345

Activity: 462
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 09:55:17 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2017, 11:00:55 AM by Kingofbitcoin12345

If it is regulated by government,, implementing rules and regulations will be available.. There will sets of do's and don't's and has much strict on criminal activities.. But much about its details depend on how the lawmakers will imposed on there approval about its probation.. It might be good to bitcoin, it will make more security be transparent and those liable for crimes could be in prison to that.. I'm on regulating bitcoin but on certain level only..

____________yahoo62278 CAMPAIGN MANAGER________  ◥◥  The Best & Most Popular Manager  ◤◤  ____________
ICO Manager          Bounty Manager          Signature Campaign Manager          Twitter Campaign Manager
█████████████████████████   ADD "yahoo62278" on Telegram & Skype   █████████████████████████
zoelhack

Activity: 165

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 10:19:10 AM

Hello,

which certainly does not match the original purpose of bitcoin, the bitcoin is free and uncontrollable, to evenly all the opportunities have it, if bitcoin is set I think it will be a lot of problems in the future bitcoin journey
offlinedragon

Activity: 135

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 10:21:14 AM

Hello,

Regulating the framework is going to seriously cause problems in the bitcoin community and would surely bring the price crashing down, I love the market and the coin because there is no regulation and that is why almost 90% invested in it.
TheBTCAlex

Activity: 126

Back from Vacation!

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 10:26:26 AM

Not likely, due to the decentralized nature of BTC, there is about no way governments can regulate BTC. That is actually one of the driving factors of BTC that actually gives it a lot of popularity.

However, in theory, however, if that anytime happens, I think there will be a mass drop in the price of BTC, as many users stop using it, due to the loss of anonymity. There will definitely be a great deal of rejection.

Lancusters

Activity: 630
Merit: 263

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 10:39:43 AM

Bitcoin will never be regulated by the state. Perhaps the state will try to create their own crypto currency and they will be monitored by the government. Don't know how it's going to have the trust of the people, but such currency will be more stable that's for sure.
Pejoh Asu

Activity: 1484
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 10:40:35 AM

This is the thing I'm really waiting for, it's time for bitcoin to get recognition and regulation so that it can be beneficial for the economic progress of the country and people. the presence of bitcoin will improve the system of transactions between countries.

▄▄███▄    ▄███▄▄
     ▄▀▀    █    █    ▀▀▄
    ██    ▄▄▀    ▀▄▄    ██
    ▀▄▄▄█▀▀        ▀▀█▄▄▄▀
  ▄▄█▀█▄              ▄█▀█▄▄
▄█▀     ▀▀█▄     ▄▄█▀▀     ▀█▄
██          ▀█▄▄█▀          ██
▀█▄     ▄▄▄█▀▀  ▀▀▀▄▄▄     ▄█▀
  ▀█▄▄▄▀▀            ▀▀▄▄▄█▀
   █▀▀▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▀▀█
   ██  ▀▀▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▀  ██
    ▀▄     █      █     ▄▀