Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:08:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will segwit empty the mempool?  (Read 810 times)
erre (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 10:06:02 PM

I suppose the vast majority will automatically shift when receiving a change in a compatible wallet, so a mempool increasing because of that should not happen

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
illinest

Activity: 454
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 10:13:23 PM

I suppose the vast majority will automatically shift when receiving a change in a compatible wallet, so a mempool increasing because of that should not happen

That's not necessarily true. Users still need to manually update their clients; most users probably do not keep up with new releases and will continue using old clients for some time. Only those who are very keen to immediately utilize Segwit and those who are desperate to pay lower fees will update right away. Many will take their time. And that's sensible....not even Core wallets could use Segwit out of the box out of an abundance of caution.
Carlsen

Activity: 910
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 07:50:09 AM

I don't think that segwit will be able to empty the mempool.
Three weeks ago, the membool was under 5MB, now we have over 100MB.
The only explanation for such an increase is in my eyes that somebody does this on purpose to slower the network.
I have read a few times already that the user must activate segwit. If he does not, transactions will be like always.
That means the spammer will simply not activate it. And the pool stays full.

It's me!!!
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 09:20:31 AM

to answer the OP's question....

no it wont empty the mempool.. infact it will fill the mempool

the only way to utilise the "weight" is to first move funds out of old transaction format (legacy keypairs) and then spend again in new segwit transactions (sw keypairs) then and only then would the segwit transaction utilise the weight area.

the issue with this is if everyone was to move to use segwit keys to even get close to a 2.1mb weight estimate.. everyone has to move their funds out of old legacy keypairs..

there are millions of UTXO's using legacy keypairs, meaning alot of spending needs to occur BEFORE its treated as segwit based funds..

And how does it affect the 'dust'? If I need to move out my balance (gathered up from dust) to a SW compatible address, I still have to pay the high fees first (because of the several inbound transactions of that address), and only after I will enjoy the benefits of segwit? If this is true, despite of switching to sw or not, do I have to pay the high fee at least at the first time?

No. It just means that fees will be high for some time until people start using Segwit. When other people start using Segwit instead of regular transactions fees for all the transactions should lower since there will be more space in blocks for them. You can just wait until fees drop, then you can move that dust in to one input that could be Segwit or not.
defined

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 09:39:22 AM

Ah yes, the classic Core defense. "It's just spam."

LOL
Mempool was empty before August 1. Before July mempool was full, now it is full again. Is it just a rumor or reality Cash spamming Bitcoin to move people to Cash?

And how does it affect the 'dust'? If I need to move out my balance (gathered up from dust) to a SW compatible address, I still have to pay the high fees first (because of the several inbound transactions of that address), and only after I will enjoy the benefits of segwit? If this is true, despite of switching to sw or not, do I have to pay the high fee at least at the first time?
You have to pay a fee. Best is to not collect dust at all. If you have 'dust' in your wallet, second best is to wait for fees to be low enough to spend all your 'dust'.
Argon2

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 10:07:54 AM

The miners are NOT including SegWit transactions into blocks until after the 2x fork so expect congestion for a few months.  Undecided
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 10:20:24 AM

We've already seen the first block over 1MB mined by Bitfury. 

what Shocked
how is that even possible? are you sure you were looking at a "bitcoin" block?  because it is impossible to mine a block which is bigger than 1 MB unless you want to create a rejected block.
the consensus has not changed with SegWit, it is still at
MAX_BLOCK_SIZE = 1000000 Byte (1 MB)

am i missing something here? please explain if i do

As I get it Segwit activation means that block size limit is replaced by a block weight limit, which allows for block to increase to 4MB in size. If a block doesn't have witness data its size remains 1 MB max

yeah, thanks. since yesterday i did some more research and found out it is something that can happen apparently! but i am still so confused about how it is working.
i thought i understood bitcoin and then SegWit came and introduced a whole lot of new stuff that i need to learn... Smiley

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
craZyLovE0916

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 12:58:32 AM

We've already seen the first block over 1MB mined by Bitfury. 

what Shocked
how is that even possible? are you sure you were looking at a "bitcoin" block?  because it is impossible to mine a block which is bigger than 1 MB unless you want to create a rejected block.
the consensus has not changed with SegWit, it is still at
MAX_BLOCK_SIZE = 1000000 Byte (1 MB)

am i missing something here? please explain if i do

As I get it Segwit activation means that block size limit is replaced by a block weight limit, which allows for block to increase to 4MB in size. If a block doesn't have witness data its size remains 1 MB max

yeah, thanks. since yesterday i did some more research and found out it is something that can happen apparently! but i am still so confused about how it is working.
i thought i understood bitcoin and then SegWit came and introduced a whole lot of new stuff that i need to learn... Smiley

Yeah dude, I hear you on that one. I thought I knew everything about Bitcoin, but it turns out that SegWit has completely changed my view on that. I now know that I know nothing. hahaha
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: