Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:15:24 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MSI Z270 SLI Plus 8 Cards using M.2 Adapters  (Read 1240 times)
jmduarte (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 12:52:07 PM

Hello everyone,

I’m struggling to get my rig working with 8 gpus using M.2 adapters.
Has anyone got a setup like this working with the motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus?

Setup:

MB: MSI Z270 SLI Plus
CPU: Celeron
Mem: 4g HyperX

PSU:

Seasonic X-1250
Corsair RM1000X
Disk: SSD Kingston
GPUS:
2x Sapphire RX580 8GB
2x Asus Strix RX570 4GB
2x MSI Armor RX570 4GB
1x MSI Gaming X RX570 4GB
1x Sapphire RX 480
6x PCI Risers
2x M2 Adapters to PCI

----BIOS Settings-----
PEG0 : Tried Gen1 or Gen2
PEG1 : Tried Gen1 or Gen2
4G Enable
Disable almost everything except the USBs since I don’t have a ps2 keyboard.

The scenarios are:
1st - Works with 6 cards connected do PCI-E lanes.
2st - Works with 4 cards on PCI-E and 2 on M.2
3st - Don’t work when 7th card is connected. Only displays one card on device manager.

Please let me know if anyone need more details!
Leass

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 12:54:32 PM

Did You cross drivers for 4XX and 5XX? I've read on Ethereum forum that this works for it.
Can You connect only RX5xx cards and see if it's work?

jmduarte (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 01:07:17 PM

Ill try,
But I don't think it is a driver issue. If it was the gpus should be listed on the device manager but with an error msg right?
Leass

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 01:16:10 PM

It should, but sometimes it don't.
Well, You could try 'main gpu' way.
You plug one card via riser to PCIE x16 slot, connect monitor, and boot PC.
Turn PC off, put these card in another slot, and connect another one to x16 with monitor.
My 1080ti rig was showing from 1 to 5 cards until i did it this way.
Make sure You have 4G enabled in BIOS, Your Windows is installed in UEFI mode, and You dont use sata devices in corresponding slots for m.2 (In 1 m.2 slot scenario it's SATA 1 slot)

josh1095

Activity: 7

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 09:23:04 PM

I'm shocked you got even one m.2 to work! I could find zero info on teh MSI Z270 SLI PLUS and m.2 adapters. I finally just ordered 2 to put the question to rest. DOES NOT WORK.
The A pro version is good, that's the only confirmed 8 gpu variant of the z270 sli plus.
I watched a Bits Be Trippin' video and bought everything he listed. I found that the sli plus is NOT an ideal mobo and i should've bought the h110 Btc+ and been done with it.
If you somehow got this to work, PLEASE let me know what you did. There are no m.2 bios settings in the sli plus like there are in the A pro
While i was disappointed, i did NOT expect the m.2 adapters to work on this mobo. Like i said, the lack of specific m.2 settings in bios was a dead giveaway. $20 to test and not even, i requested a refund and amazon is awesome so sending them back tomorrow. A free experiment to put this to rest once and for all.

I am personally waiting to see how the ethereum mining scene shakes down come november when block rewards are cut AND difficulty STOPS increasing. If it looks good still? I'll buy a Asrock h110 and 2 more 1060s. If not? Eh, no big deal
joshuaj

Activity: 224

IDEX - LIVE Real-time DEX

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 12:56:48 AM

I'm shocked you got even one m.2 to work! I could find zero info on teh MSI Z270 SLI PLUS and m.2 adapters. I finally just ordered 2 to put the question to rest. DOES NOT WORK.
The A pro version is good, that's the only confirmed 8 gpu variant of the z270 sli plus.
I watched a Bits Be Trippin' video and bought everything he listed. I found that the sli plus is NOT an ideal mobo and i should've bought the h110 Btc+ and been done with it.
If you somehow got this to work, PLEASE let me know what you did. There are no m.2 bios settings in the sli plus like there are in the A pro
While i was disappointed, i did NOT expect the m.2 adapters to work on this mobo. Like i said, the lack of specific m.2 settings in bios was a dead giveaway. $20 to test and not even, i requested a refund and amazon is awesome so sending them back tomorrow. A free experiment to put this to rest once and for all.

I am personally waiting to see how the ethereum mining scene shakes down come november when block rewards are cut AND difficulty STOPS increasing. If it looks good still? I'll buy a Asrock h110 and 2 more 1060s. If not? Eh, no big deal

Yes BBT is the BOSS! if you are willing to spend a few more bucks, Asus prime Z270 A/AR can do at least 8 cards on windows, I have set up 3 rigs with this MB. The MB came with 7 slots, you only need to purchase a M.2 adapter from eBay to get 8 cards going. I also have my first rig with MSI z270 sli plus, no luck getting the 7th cards to work. I also have a few rig using MSI Z270 A Pro MB, I am struggling to get 6 cards running on windows. Hoping someone can give me a piece of advice on how to make it run properly. I have a black screen with installing the 6th cards. Many people said it can be fix by installing the windows on UEFI mode. But how to install on UEFI mode? I have the USB drive installing in UEFI mode already. Is there anything else that I need to change in the MB BIOS? thank you.

Yes, you have to change setting in BIOS, find boot mode and change it to UEFI.

Leass

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 01:49:10 PM

Yes BBT is the BOSS! if you are willing to spend a few more bucks, Asus prime Z270 A/AR can do at least 8 cards on windows, I have set up 3 rigs with this MB. The MB came with 7 slots, you only need to purchase a M.2 adapter from eBay to get 8 cards going. I also have my first rig with MSI z270 sli plus, no luck getting the 7th cards to work. I also have a few rig using MSI Z270 A Pro MB, I am struggling to get 6 cards running on windows. Hoping someone can give me a piece of advice on how to make it run properly. I have a black screen with installing the 6th cards. Many people said it can be fix by installing the windows on UEFI mode. But how to install on UEFI mode? I have the USB drive installing in UEFI mode already. Is there anything else that I need to change in the MB BIOS? thank you.

Yes, you have to change setting in BIOS, find boot mode and change it to UEFI.
Most MOBO's will have now Windows 8/10 Installation compatible or something like this to enable UEFI boot mode (It's same case as when some mobo's need to change this setting to Win7 to boot from disk/usb to install it)

setul34

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 08, 2018, 06:55:34 AM

Guys, I registered here just to share my success with you. I have finally managed to make my MSI Z270  SLI PLUS motherboard to recognise all 8 graphics cards. Previously I struggled like some of you, updating BIOS, changing all the settings, trying various combinations but nothing helped to make cards recognised via M.2 risers. In the end it was as simple as using different make M.2 risers. I was successful with LATTCURE PCI-E 4X Female to NGFF M.2 M Key Male Adapter Power Cable with Converter Card (2 Packs) from amazon.co.uk
They are white colour scheme, with 2 LEDs (5V and 12V indicators).

I know how frustrating it must be when MSI advertise that this board can do 8 GPUs but won't explain how or recommend risers. I am happy to answer any questions and share screenshots. Just let me know what you want to see.

i almost lost my hope, but read ur reply. so can you show me or explain briefly how did you got GPUs working on sli plus ? and how did you use that LATTCURE converter or whatever it is. please ?
eddiemac132

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 07:34:30 AM

I registered here just to hear how someone got more than 4 gpu's running on the z270 sli plus, let alone 8!!  I read somewhere that the number of pcie lanes only supported 4 gpu's, I landed here looking for info on the m.2 ports hoping they had dedicated lanes and I could get 6 cards running.  These mobo's are a pain in the ass from what I have experienced and read.  

Here's what I got;

Z270 sli plus
I3 3900
8gb ddr4 2400 mhz
64g ssd
3x Sapphire rx 580 pulse
3x xfr rx 580
2x 750w psu's
Windows 10 home 64b

Here's what I have running 4 cards:

4g enabled
Gen 1
96 bus clocks
Pcie power saving off
Windows 7 something... (support?)  disabled in bios
Virtual memory 20g ish
Tested risers 1 x 1
Installed cards 1 at a time
Mixed drivers crimson + latest version
Latest bios flash
Windows and drivers updated

I'm no computer or crypto expert, wouldn't have known what most of the above meant 2 months ago.  The best thing the sli plus has done for me is make me learn about all this stuff!!  Any help would be appreciated!!
beettruck

Activity: 9

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 07:15:25 PM
Last edit: January 11, 2018, 07:26:48 PM by beettruck

I also bought this board assuming it would run 8 cards Embarrassed

Fact is, I did get 8 cards up and running, but it was unstable, the 8th card kept falling off, and even with 7 cards running, my rig crashed way too often to make it worth the trouble.  This is on Windows 10.

I do, though, have six cards running and all appears to be stable.  I went to bed last night with six 1080TI cards crunching ZEN and it is still running now, about 10 hours later, so at least a stable six-card setup is possible, even if you can't get the m.2 slots to work reliably, though it is also possible that I just got semi-lucky.

It wasn't easy.  I had to go through quite a lengthy process to get it going.  Here's what I did:

First, go through the standard motherboard BIOS modifications.  Without BIOS mods, this won't work.

Next, with the CPU to the left, label the six PCIe slots 1 - 6.  I added one card at a time in this order:  1-4-2-6-5-3.  Crazy but this is what it took.  The manual says the full sized slots should be used first left to right, but that didn't work out for me.  After each card was added, I would check the device manager to make sure they were all recognized without error.  If I had an error, I would reboot without the last card, then reboot again after adding the new card to a different slot.  That's how I ended up with the 1-4-2-6-5-3 progression.  Your progression may be different than mine.

Finally, to get the 7th and 8th cards "running", I used the m.2 slot to the right first, then the one next to the CPU.  Again, not what you would expect, but that's the way it was for me.  Ultimately, I removed both m.2 adapters anyway.  I did get lucky and bought the white explomos adapters (looks just like the Lattcure ones from Amazon UK, so I assume these are the US version), which appears to be important to have any shot of cards 7 and 8 working.  

After each card was successfully recognized by Device Manager, I also powered down and booted up two or three times before adding another card.  I could tell by differences in each boot procedure that my computer was still sorting out the new card.  After three or so boots, it was reliably repeating the standard boot procedure and I moved on to the next card.

Important:  My rig looked like it had locked up several times during the process.  It was simply working at sorting all those cards out, and it took a very long time.  After adding each card, if your screen goes blank, the monitor goes to sleep, the circle of dots on the login screen freezes, etc.......just go take a walk or something.  Don't mess with the power button.  Leave it alone and let it do its thing.

Finally, this is all relevant if you own this board and can't return it and have no other options.  Do not buy this board for mining if you don't already have it unless you hate yourself.
Itsjo

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 11:22:51 PM

I'm having issues with my system to detect 5 & 6 GPU's.. I did the Gen 1 speed and enabled 4g and installed windows in UEFI any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Itsjo

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 12:04:06 AM

I also bought this board assuming it would run 8 cards Embarrassed

Fact is, I did get 8 cards up and running, but it was unstable, the 8th card kept falling off, and even with 7 cards running, my rig crashed way too often to make it worth the trouble.  This is on Windows 10.

I do, though, have six cards running and all appears to be stable.  I went to bed last night with six 1080TI cards crunching ZEN and it is still running now, about 10 hours later, so at least a stable six-card setup is possible, even if you can't get the m.2 slots to work reliably, though it is also possible that I just got semi-lucky.

It wasn't easy.  I had to go through quite a lengthy process to get it going.  Here's what I did:

First, go through the standard motherboard BIOS modifications.  Without BIOS mods, this won't work.

Next, with the CPU to the left, label the six PCIe slots 1 - 6.  I added one card at a time in this order:  1-4-2-6-5-3.  Crazy but this is what it took.  The manual says the full sized slots should be used first left to right, but that didn't work out for me.  After each card was added, I would check the device manager to make sure they were all recognized without error.  If I had an error, I would reboot without the last card, then reboot again after adding the new card to a different slot.  That's how I ended up with the 1-4-2-6-5-3 progression.  Your progression may be different than mine.

Finally, to get the 7th and 8th cards "running", I used the m.2 slot to the right first, then the one next to the CPU.  Again, not what you would expect, but that's the way it was for me.  Ultimately, I removed both m.2 adapters anyway.  I did get lucky and bought the white explomos adapters (looks just like the Lattcure ones from Amazon UK, so I assume these are the US version), which appears to be important to have any shot of cards 7 and 8 working.  

After each card was successfully recognized by Device Manager, I also powered down and booted up two or three times before adding another card.  I could tell by differences in each boot procedure that my computer was still sorting out the new card.  After three or so boots, it was reliably repeating the standard boot procedure and I moved on to the next card.

Important:  My rig looked like it had locked up several times during the process.  It was simply working at sorting all those cards out, and it took a very long time.  After adding each card, if your screen goes blank, the monitor goes to sleep, the circle of dots on the login screen freezes, etc.......just go take a walk or something.  Don't mess with the power button.  Leave it alone and let it do its thing.

Finally, this is all relevant if you own this board and can't return it and have no other options.  Do not buy this board for mining if you don't already have it unless you hate yourself.

Did you install Windows in UEFI mode? Do you have to change the the boot mode in BIOS to EUFI? Did you install drivers after you plug each GPU in or did you install it after they were all running fine?
parylizer

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 02:47:22 AM

Guys, I registered here just to share my success with you. I have finally managed to make my MSI Z270  SLI PLUS motherboard to recognise all 8 graphics cards. Previously I struggled like some of you, updating BIOS, changing all the settings, trying various combinations but nothing helped to make cards recognised via M.2 risers. In the end it was as simple as using different make M.2 risers. I was successful with LATTCURE PCI-E 4X Female to NGFF M.2 M Key Male Adapter Power Cable with Converter Card (2 Packs) from amazon.co.uk
They are white colour scheme, with 2 LEDs (5V and 12V indicators).

I know how frustrating it must be when MSI advertise that this board can do 8 GPUs but won't explain how or recommend risers. I am happy to answer any questions and share screenshots. Just let me know what you want to see.

Was this on Windows or linux? I also go the same adapters and I can sometimes get it to work on windows but very unstable and then on linux it never works. What bios settings etc did you use?
knohult

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 06:25:46 PM

I'm having issues with my system to detect 5 & 6 GPU's.. I did the Gen 1 speed and enabled 4g and installed windows in UEFI any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Same here, then i would like to have my m2 adapters to work too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: