Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:36:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Fans, Risers & SSD w/PSU or MB?  (Read 367 times)
siforek (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 06:30:08 PM

I'm building my first rig with an EVGA 1300 G2, ASRock H110 Pro BTC+, 7x Gigabyte 1070 G1s, 6 pin V007 Riser Cards & 5-6x 140mm fans for cooling. Obviously I'll be powering the CPU, motherboard & GPUs directly from the PSU but I'm not sure the best way to power everything else..

I suppose I could power my SSD & fans off the motherboard, then use the SATA to 6 pin cables included with the risers to power those with the PSU's SATA cables. Or I could get a few more 6 pin Y splitters for the risers, use the PSU's SATA cable for the SSD & power the fan's with a molex from the PSU with something like this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACJF5528565. Or some combination of the 2?

What would you suggest? & what are the pros/cons of doing it one way vs another?  Huh

Also I know the SATA to 6 pin adapters included with the risers aren't exactly top quality Roll Eyes so would likely replace those if I went that route.
Thanks!  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2017, 07:55:02 PM

I'm building my first rig with an EVGA 1300 G2, ASRock H110 Pro BTC+, 7x Gigabyte 1070 G1s, 6 pin V007 Riser Cards & 5-6x 140mm fans for cooling. Obviously I'll be powering the CPU, motherboard & GPUs directly from the PSU but I'm not sure the best way to power everything else..

I suppose I could power my SSD & fans off the motherboard, then use the SATA to 6 pin cables included with the risers to power those with the PSU's SATA cables. Or I could get a few more 6 pin Y splitters for the risers, use the PSU's SATA cable for the SSD & power the fan's with a molex from the PSU with something like this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACJF5528565. Or some combination of the 2?

What would you suggest? & what are the pros/cons of doing it one way vs another?  Huh

Also I know the SATA to 6 pin adapters included with the risers aren't exactly top quality Roll Eyes so would likely replace those if I went that route.
Thanks!  Grin

Be careful when involving SATA connectors with higher-current devices. SATA connectors, cheap or not, don't always handle going over-spec very well.

2x 4 pin molex to 1x 6 pin adapters are generally a much better bet than 1x SATA to 6 pin adapters. If you bought your PSU relatively recently, you should be able to contact EVGA support and ask for a few extra modular 4-pin molex cables (EVGA modular PSUs allow you to interchange them with SATA cables on the PSU end). If you still end up using SATA, just make sure you don't power a bunch of risers off of the same line of SATA connectors from the PSU.

SATA connectors should be fine for your SSD and fans. Using motherboard connectors for your fans may or may not give you a better solution for fan placement & cable management. Lastly, I'm not sure if being able to control & monitor your fans is a big deal for you, but that's lost by typical fans when powered directly from the PSU.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
siforek (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 02:16:38 AM

I'm leaning towards powering fans + SSD off the motherboard & everything else from the PSU with 6/8 pins. The thing is there's 6 VGA cables, 2 were already split & I have 4 more splitters for a total of 12x 6/8 pin connectors. 7x 6pin risers + 7x 8pin GPUs = 14, 2 more than I have & I'm pretty sure I don't want to split an already split cable again Tongue
Do I have to use only the VGA ports? What about using perif or something? Or could I power 3 risers off 1 VGA?
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2017, 07:51:33 PM

I'm leaning towards powering fans + SSD off the motherboard & everything else from the PSU with 6/8 pins. The thing is there's 6 VGA cables, 2 were already split & I have 4 more splitters for a total of 12x 6/8 pin connectors. 7x 6pin risers + 7x 8pin GPUs = 14, 2 more than I have & I'm pretty sure I don't want to split an already split cable again Tongue
Do I have to use only the VGA ports? What about using perif or something? Or could I power 3 risers off 1 VGA?

The PERIF cables, or 4 pin molex ones, can be used with adapters to get you a 6 pin PCIe connector. Adapters like these would probably do the trick: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Molex-Power/dp/B01DV1Z22K

I would avoid throwing in your own splitters for PCIe power, unless you're taking a PSU cable with a 6(+2) pin connector and a 6 pin connector and splitting it only to power 3x 6 pin devices total. I would not attempt to power a 2x 6 pin and 1x 8 pin devices off of the same line. You might be fine, but you also might not.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███