Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 01:02:35 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens when we hit 21,000,000 bitcoins?  (Read 2568 times)
ahmad21

Activity: 672
Merit: 271

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 04:31:02 AM

This morning I was talking about this with a buddy of mine.

Right now we have miners all over the world trying to solve this exponentially hard algorithm to earn their bitcoins. That is their incentive and that is what drives them to do so.

What happens when we remove that incentive to "mine" aka "verify transactions" on the blockchain? What I'm basically asking is what happens when we hit 21,000,000 bitcoins from the perspective of the miners?

1. Ill be dead. And you will be too.

2. There wont be any empty blocks anymore.
Mining of all the bitcoins means there are no new blocks and not that previous blocks are filled. But yes there will be a huge impact on price. The supply will become limited and demand is ever growing. You will find hard time finding someone selling his bitcoins.
loopes

Activity: 952
Merit: 323

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 05:02:38 AM

When we hit the maximum amount of BTC, then the value will go up a lot because no more can be created and demand will rise but supply will stay the same.
true dude, as like diamond or other valuable thing, demands of these thing are very high whereas the supply of diamonds is very limited that's make the price of diamonds are very high beside the beautiful reason which many people Interested. when bitcoin supply is limited but demands of bitcoin keep increasing the results is bitcoin price will sky rocket.

|||
IDO PARTNER
▄▄▄▀▀▀██▄▄
████▀▀░▀███
███▌████▐███
███▌████████▌
███▌█████████
███▌█████████
███▌████▐███▌
▄▄▄▄▄█▀░███▀
▀▀██▀▄██▀▀
DAOStarter
IEO PARTNER
▄███▄
▄██▀▀▀▀██▄
██░░░░░░▀▀
██░░▀██▄▄░░
▀██▄▄▀▀██▄
░░▀▀██▄░░██
▄▄░░░░░░██
▀██▄▄▄▄██▀
▀███▀
Coinstore
LISTING
██▀▀▀▀████▄▄
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀█
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▐▐▌
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▌█
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█▄
███▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▀█▐▌
██▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄░░▐██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█▄▀
░▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀

▄███▄░▄███▄
▄██████████▄
▄█████████████▄
▄███████████████▄
▀███████████████▀
BitMart
MEXC
DEX PARTNERS

░▀▄░█▀▀▄▄▄
░▀▄▀████▀███▄
██▀██████▄▄▄▄▀
███░░▀████▀▀██▄
▄█████████░█▄░▀
█▀█▄███▀▀█████
▀▀▀░▀█▀▀▄████
██████▀░▀▄

█████▄▄▄▄▀
██▄▀█████▀░░▄▄
░▀█▄████▀███▄▀▀
▀█▄▀▀█▀█▀▄░▀████▀
█▄██▄░▀▄▀▄▀██▀▀
██▀▀
UNISWAP
LobsterSwap
valentin68

Activity: 459
Merit: 104

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 05:41:21 AM

Because it becomes exponentially difficult, then there is no possibility to obtain the last bitcoin of the 21,000,000 of the bitcoins. So computation will continue forever, and give exponentially difficult results. This will give the possibility for the bitcoin to exist forever. The last bitcoin, or the last part of it will be never obtained.  
BingoDog

Activity: 658
Merit: 505

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 05:51:28 AM

That will not happen so soon so I'm not worried yet but when it comes to that the price will go wild. Demand is increasing all the time and with the time it will be even bigger and supply will be limited. Natural consequence of this will be huge pump of the price. Probably the fees will be also very high which is the bad thing. Bitcoin market will look very much different comparing to now. 

malaj
Imran1271

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 05:53:39 AM

Right now we have miners all over the world trying to solve this exponentially hard algorithm to earn their bitcoins. That is their incentive and that is what drives them to do so.

What happens when we remove that incentive to "mine" aka "verify transactions" on the blockchain? What I'm basically asking is what happens when we hit 21,000,000 bitcoins from the perspective of the miners?

All coins are destroyed and bitcoin starts from the genesis block again. Tongue Tongue
I don't think so because no one can imagine that how much price can be hit bitcoin. So if bitcoin hit 21,00,000 that will not imposed altcoin any more.
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 05:57:07 AM

When we hit the maximum amount of BTC, then the value will go up a lot because no more can be created and demand will rise but supply will stay the same.
true dude, as like diamond or other valuable thing, demands of these thing are very high whereas the supply of diamonds is very limited that's make the price of diamonds are very high beside the beautiful reason which many people Interested. when bitcoin supply is limited but demands of bitcoin keep increasing the results is bitcoin price will sky rocket.

the supply of diamonds is actually quite high. It is just that the market go and hype it up and link it to engagement rings etc that cause the trends/hype. Otherwise, diamonds would be a worthless piece of junks. On the other hand, bitcoins solve a lot of real life issue like oversea transaction, seller protection, fees, limited quantity etc.
Chrystora123

Activity: 1414
Merit: 228

Omicron is another FUD

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 07:13:40 AM

i think nothing happen if we have to reach 21 million Bitcoin . because there is still are Ethereum , Litecoin , and another potencial Altcoin waiting for mining ..

gulshan1

Activity: 630

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2017, 07:38:52 AM

At this time bitcoin is going popular very fast and day by day usage of it is increasing.No body can imagine price of bitcoin at the time of mining completion.but it true bitcoin will be stand on great and big handsome price with 6 digit figure. i think it will run very fast after the completion as compare to current time of growth.because at that time every body will know about this and total bitcoin will see less amount for the whole world.

SATURN
Liquidity providerfor crypto markets Cross-chain Exchange & OTC trading Platform
────────  Facebook Twitter ♦  Telegram ♦  Blog ♦  Bitcointalk   ────────
Silberman
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1343

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 05:23:34 PM

Then all the bitcoins available would have been mined and then there would be nothing left to mine, so all we can just do is to keep confirming transactions as miners then, and earn just a little from transaction fees.
By that time miners will be so energy efficient that they will be able run hardware with very low energy costs and in that way they are going to be able to depend only in the transaction fees that they receive from the users that make a transaction, besides it may be possible that the devs change the hash algorithm to something else if most of the mining power moves to segwit2x.
StevenS

Activity: 206

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 11:11:08 PM

If there are less miners, the transaction will be as slow as you can imagine. Also this will affect the users, they might switch to other alternative coins for fast transactions. So in this scenario, less demand, low price.
But if the miners will just rely on transaction fee of course this will not be enough for them versus in what their getting in block rewards as a result of this, over time miners will not be interested to this and will quit. The lesser the miners ther slower will be the confirmation of transaction.
The Bitcoin protocol is designed to produce one block every 10 minutes. If the number of miners goes down, the difficulty will automatically adjust to keep the block time approximately the same. Thus, transaction speed will not change.

Because it becomes exponentially difficult, then there is no possibility to obtain the last bitcoin of the 21,000,000 of the bitcoins. So computation will continue forever, and give exponentially difficult results. This will give the possibility for the bitcoin to exist forever. The last bitcoin, or the last part of it will be never obtained.  
Because bitcoins are measured in Satoshis (.00000001 BTC), as an integer value, the block reward will actually go to zero, 4 years after it goes to 1, because 1 divided by 2 is 0, when using integer arithmetic.
Falgorn

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 24, 2017, 10:15:35 AM

If all 21 million bitcoins are to be extracted, it will most likely turn from a means of payment into a means of storing valuables. In addition, it must be taken into account that during this time a significant proportion of bitcoin will disappear irrevocably due to various reasons, such as loss of access to the digital wallet, etc.
Silberman
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1343

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 11:03:48 PM

Just a clarification do not compare bitcoin to diamonds, diamonds are not rare, remember that diamonds are just carbon arranged in a special way, the reason many people think that diamonds are rare is because there is a monopoly of them, a single company owns most of the diamond mines and the rest of the mines are in countries that are on war and that company has pushed for laws that make illegal to buy diamonds from those regions.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: