Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:12:25 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: blockchain download at 56k speeds  (Read 999 times)
mochicoin (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 04:31:05 PM

I have bitcoind running on a linux server with a 100 Mbit connection yet the blockchain is still downloading a day later. The download is slow as hells blazes.
nkocevar

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 04:34:52 PM

Pretty sure that's the default download speed... we all have to deal with it  Undecided

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 03:55:06 AM

Every single block and every single transaction in the blockchain has to be cryptographically verified by your computer as you download them. That's what's taking so long. A fast Internet connection won't help in the slightest.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
rich90usa

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:02:49 AM

If you're bandwidth limited, you could try bootstrap.dat: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145386.0

You'll still verify all the transactions that you downloaded, but now you'll be CPU bound instead of Network bound.
nkocevar

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 01:19:26 PM

Every single block and every single transaction in the blockchain has to be cryptographically verified by your computer as you download them. That's what's taking so long. A fast Internet connection won't help in the slightest.

So a fast computer will? Because I have a helluva fast computer and it was still slow. Maybe its time to upgrade my hardware AGAIN?

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 04:42:56 AM

So a fast computer will? Because I have a helluva fast computer and it was still slow. Maybe its time to upgrade my hardware AGAIN?
It should. With old (<0.8) versions of Bitcoin disk access speed was a major factor, but the latest version uses a more efficient database engine to minimise disk access, so now your CPU is the main bottleneck. Note that if anything else is using your CPU (especially if running bitcoind with increased niceness) that will slow things down significantly.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
nkocevar

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 01:16:54 PM

It should. With old (<0.8) versions of Bitcoin disk access speed was a major factor, but the latest version uses a more efficient database engine to minimise disk access, so now your CPU is the main bottleneck. Note that if anything else is using your CPU (especially if running bitcoind with increased niceness) that will slow things down significantly.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info!

fuzzster

Activity: 19

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 01:30:49 PM

Pretty sure that's the default download speed... we all have to deal with it  Undecided

Didn't realise is was capped! Makes a lot of sense though...
symzzi

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:00:34 PM

Mine has been running for about 32 hours and still going..
mochicoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 06:45:01 AM

My machine took about 2 days to get the blockchain and it has 8 cores at 2.6 GHZ. The first half was done within hours, the second half finished in about 30 hours. The crazy part is that the blockchain is growing by 1 GB a month right now.
RippleSpin

Activity: 15

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:17:42 AM

The blockchain download time still sucks. This will have to be improved in the future.
suryc

Activity: 298

Play2Live pre-sale starts on January 25th

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:29:18 AM

So, the BTC blockchain is over 7GB right now, and growing by ~1GB a month (and accelerating).

If I have bitcoin-qt running, does that mean there is a 7GB file somewhere on my computer that will keep growing and eating up space?
I'm not lacking for disk space, but if this is the case I would like to know and move that file off of my primary HD.

PLAY
            ▄██████████████▄
          ▄██▀▀██████████████▄
        ▄██▀    ▀██████████████▄
      ▄██▀        ▀██████████████▄
    ▄██▀   ██████▄  ▀██████████████▄
  ▄██▀          ██    ▀██████████████▄
 ███       ▄█████▀      ███████████████
  ▀██▄    ▐██         ▄██████████████▀
    ▀██▄  ▐██████▌  ▄██████████████▀
      ▀██▄        ▄██████████████▀
        ▀██▄    ▄██████████████▀
          ▀██▄▄██████████████▀
            ▀██████████████▀
LIVE
██████
███▀▀▀
███

███
███▄▄▄
██████
██████
▀▀▀███
███

███
▄▄▄███
██████
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4672

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:02:54 PM

If I have bitcoin-qt running, does that mean there is a 7GB file somewhere on my computer that will keep growing and eating up space?

Yes.

I'm not lacking for disk space, but if this is the case I would like to know and move that file off of my primary HD.

I believe the blockchain is stored broken apart across multiple files.  The default location on your HD depends on your operating system:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory
mochicoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 06:31:26 AM

The bitcoin-qt client does take a lot of storage and bandwidth to maintain 24/7. For the most part it makes a crap cable connection mostly useless. If you just need a wallet I suggest electrum. No blockchain monster needed.
nnyld

Activity: 57

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 08:49:00 AM

same speed as me.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:25:30 AM

If you're bandwidth limited, you could try bootstrap.dat: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145386.0

You'll still verify all the transactions that you downloaded, but now you'll be CPU bound instead of Network bound.
If you're looking to download faster with a slower Internet connection, go to linked thread, skip OP, and download directly from first reply. DSL and shittier will generally benefit very significantly from a direct download. As much as I hate the damned things, I found a download accelerator making multiple (Cool connections can get >150kb/s (~30kb/s with a single connection) whereas p2p downloads tends to DL around 40-100kb/s. (or, at peak times, ~2kb/s multi direct, ~.8kb/s single direct, ~.1-.3kb/s p2p)

For those clicking thread with slow or capped Internet connections who still want to use qt or Armory, I suggest downloading a traffic shaping tool for applications, like NetLimiter, to quickly and easily restrict TDP and/or UDP traffic. AFAIK, QT has no toggle switch (at least, not in the GUI) to shut off seeding or limit speeds, so to get around this, you can simply limit QT's upload traffic to something like .5kb/s. To keep general Internet usage reasonable, I limit qt's download speeds to 4kb/s. This is still enough to stay up-to-date for now, though you'll want to disable the UL speed restriction when sending a transaction. QT still sucks down ~150-175mb/day (450-700MB/day before throttling), leaving it unusable for those with relatively harsh bandwidth caps, but is much more tolerable for those like me with unlimited slowness, and can allow light Internet usage if you have a cap >15gb/mo... though, you're kind of screwed the first time you want to download the blockchain no matter what if you have a low-cap connection. I find the lack of reward to host a BTC node pretty interesting... I'll be interested to see something implemented in Future VirtualCurrency -- very difficult problem to solve, technically.

As others said, though - probably not an Internet bandwidth issue OP is noticing. One-day download is super-fast. (If you have a low number of peers on qt, may be firewall issue, though -- slow peers will cause slow download)
pand70

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 08:44:47 PM

56k... you can't forget that noise  Cry

mochicoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 03:28:10 PM

56k... you can't forget that noise  Cry

That's funny because 56k modems do make noise.  Grin

I agree with Kluge. I'm not sure about the direct download thread mentioned for bitcoin. However, litecoin offers direct downloads and it does make getting the blockchain a breeze. I specifically agree with limiting bitcoin-qt speeds when in a residential setting. The bitcoin wallet will hog all upstream traffic even on a semi-decent cable connection. Another notable mention is Qos. Using quality of service, one can give personal computers priority over the connection or the other way around depending on what the end goal is.
goldiran

Activity: 19

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 03:48:52 PM

sure
JSMill

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 03:51:51 PM

For those that find it very difficult to download the entire blockchain but still want a wallet:  consider Multibit, Electrum, or an online wallet at blockchain.info.  You do not need to download the blockchain for those wallets.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: