Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:24:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to run an Anarchy  (Read 17518 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:18:34 AM

I'm just curious, since this topic has touched upon muggings.

Has anyone on this thread ever been mugged?  More than once?  And if yes, where do you live?

Personally, I've never been mugged, and I was in my thirties before I met anyone who had, and he was a self admitted homeless person at that time.  I've yet to met anyone else since.  I've had stuff stolen out of my car, and out of my backyard overnight, but I've never been confronted with an actual individual willing to threaten harm to steal something from me.

But then, I live in a citizens' concealed carry state, which probably influences such things significantly.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tawsix

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

I have always been afraid of banks.

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 02:49:56 AM

This seems to be a pretty high-brow thread, so I would like to join in: I have never once heard a compelling argument from an anarchist for why we shouldn't incarcerate murders.

Don't say ostracism, rural and remote communities would not be able to deal with a bunch of outcast murderers wandering out of the inner cities, I guarantee most if not all would be far too poor to pay for the kind of surveillance it would take to protect themselves.

Like I said, I have yet to hear a valid way to stop murderers from murdering.

I don't know, anarchism, just like communism, seems to forget about the human element.

myrkul (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 02:57:47 AM

My preferred method for dealing with a murderer is to catch them in the act, preferably stopping them from completing the act, and preventing them from ever attempting the act again. In other words, respond to deadly force with deadly force.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Tawsix

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:09:09 AM

My preferred method for dealing with a murderer is to catch them in the act, preferably stopping them from completing the act, and preventing them from ever attempting the act again. In other words, respond to deadly force with deadly force.

And if they are captured after they have already murdered?

NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 03:11:47 AM

Has anyone on this thread ever been mugged?

I have.

More than once?

Yes, twice.

And if yes, where do you live?

Alabama.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 03:23:59 AM

As I said, I do not support retributive force. That said, I can think of no amount of restitution to make up for the loss of a human life. I'd like to think that a murderer might be rehabilitated, and for cases which the current legal system would define as 'Murder 2' and less, I would argue for that. To be honest, for premeditated murder, and serial/mass murder, I'd probably give the killer to the deceased's next of kin, and turn my back.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
smellyBobby

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:25:25 AM

Unconditional forgiveness, man your a saint.

I need a job!!!!

Justice Dragons: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16351.msg267881#msg267881

Help me buy deodorant!!! 17bmVSoD8QNBLaPDRAXkFdapBPdgA72YjB
Anonymous

June 27, 2011, 03:29:08 AM

Justice is pointless. Coercing, injuring or killing the criminal has no real purpose besides as a disincentive for those who wish to commit unwanted acts. The disincentive is only functional when applied consistently and effectively, which is rarely done.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:30:39 AM

This seems to be a pretty high-brow thread, so I would like to join in: I have never once heard a compelling argument from an anarchist for why we shouldn't incarcerate murders.

And I don't really think that you will.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:32:31 AM

Justice is pointless.

Definately not pointless.  Justice for a murderer (a real one, not an accidental one or an incidental one) is death.  Incarceration is not.

Anonymous

June 27, 2011, 03:33:28 AM

Justice is pointless.

Definately not pointless.  Justice for a murderer (a real one, not an accidental one or an incidental one) is death.  Incarceration is not.
What is really gained in the end? A sense of egalitarian pleasure? How irrational.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 03:40:19 AM

Justice is pointless.

What is really gained in the end? A sense of egalitarian pleasure? How irrational.
Don't go all Spock on us, Atlas. Sometimes, people need closure.

By the way, does anyone here read Escape from Terra? It covered this very topic.

Tawsix

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:51:11 AM

As I said, I do not support retributive force. That said, I can think of no amount of restitution to make up for the loss of a human life. I'd like to think that a murderer might be rehabilitated, and for cases which the current legal system would define as 'Murder 2' and less, I would argue for that. To be honest, for premeditated murder, and serial/mass murder, I'd probably give the killer to the deceased's next of kin, and turn my back.

Justice is pointless.

So murderers should be executed?

Justice is pointless. Coercing, injuring or killing the criminal has no real purpose besides as a disincentive for those who wish to commit unwanted acts. The disincentive is only functional when applied consistently and effectively, which is rarely done.

I agree that most crimes should be punishable with restitution, but how do you suggest one punishes a murderer?

Anonymous

June 27, 2011, 03:53:47 AM

Punishment is a silly concept. It provides nothing. The only thing that is owed is repayment for the theft.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 03:57:33 AM

Punishment is a silly concept. It provides nothing. The only thing that is owed is repayment for the theft.

And that's exactly his point, Atlas. How do you repay for the theft of a life? The only thing that could come close would be lifetime indentured servitude.

Anonymous

June 27, 2011, 04:02:16 AM

And that's exactly his point, Atlas. How do you repay for the theft of a life? The only thing that could come close would be lifetime indentured servitude.

It's called accepting a loss.
smellyBobby

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:03:17 AM

Cool I murder in my spare time for fun. I like the idea that everyone will think punishment is a silly concept and believe in unconditional forgiveness. I also own a weapons company and use the most advanced weapons available. It seems that I will be able to have more fun in anarchy.

I need a job!!!!

Justice Dragons: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16351.msg267881#msg267881

Help me buy deodorant!!! 17bmVSoD8QNBLaPDRAXkFdapBPdgA72YjB
Anonymous

June 27, 2011, 04:07:00 AM

Cool I murder in my spare time for fun. I like the idea that everyone will think punishment is a silly concept and believe in unconditional forgiveness. I also own a weapons company and use the most advanced weapons available. It seems that I will be able to have more fun in anarchy.
I never said I was against it being used as a effective disincentive.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 04:08:57 AM

Best of luck. What would you like your epitaph to read? "Troll to the end?"

Anonymous

June 27, 2011, 04:10:45 AM

Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_wrongs_make_a_right
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: