Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:33:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: does a PCI x1 (or older PCI versions) limit the speed of mining?  (Read 2027 times)
godofal (OP)

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

TACNAYN - destroyer of worlds

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 08:09:27 PM

now, i know that PCI is backwards compatible, so one could place a highend card like a HD6990 in an PCI-E x1 (or PCI V1.0 or something) slot and use that right?
i know that the bandwidth will slow down, wich sucks for gaming, but as we're talking mining and not gaming: does that matter in terms as Mhas/S?
and what about power? the PCI power cables from a PSU would surely deliver enough to compensate the loss of PCI-E x16 power (still HD6990) or would you need to underclock it? and a card like HD6970?

also, so i wont have to open a second thread; is there an ubuntu edition designed for mining to place on an USB stick that i can download somewhere, and use that without (much) fiddling around?

thanks in advance!

edit:
forgot bout an idea i wanted to ask about: mining costs GPU power, so the CPU barely has any load at all right? so wouldnt it be possible to let the CPU handle a part of the pool server stuff, so that you dont need a fee (i know about BTCguild, but not donating costs them money Tongue)
or hosting servers like teamspeak?

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 09:08:08 PM

you are mixing PCI and PCI-E, they are NOT the same thing.
There is no such thing as a 6990 plugging into a PCI slot, unless you are using a PCI to PCI-E adapter, if those even exist.
godofal (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:21:25 PM

hmm, then i remembered incorrectly xD

well, same question for a PCI-E x1 then Tongue

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:52:13 PM

There ARE PCI->PCIe extenders! You can also use any PCIe slot or PCI without any ill effects for mining! https://cablesaurus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10&zenid=c543582359781bd96d54be466a2e8da5

godofal (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 01:02:54 AM

i know, but my question is: would that negatively influence the Mhash/S?

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 01:05:24 AM

no

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
CydeWeys

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:17:05 AM

I'm running multiple Radeon HD 5000-series cards through adapter risers in x1 PCI-e slots with no loss of hashing speed.  Now if I tried to play a 3D game or something that has a high data throughput I bet performance would be affected, but not mining.
melco

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 07:21:36 AM

godofal, can you inform all of us here how much time you spent to find answer to your questions?
Do you really think it's better to create 100500th thread with the same question?
Respect other user's time, use google  Undecided

rocksalt

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 12:48:21 PM

godofal, can you inform all of us here how much time you spent to find answer to your questions?
Do you really think it's better to create 100500th thread with the same question?

Dude, i think his question is valid.
even using a PCIe > PCI adapter clearly two different technologies in play, its a valid question to ask on such a forum, this is why forums exist. Even looking at these two entries....

PCI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI

PCIe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

... gives a wealth of knowledge, but seriously, unless your into over-clocking or building in a big way, most of this is gonna zip right over your head.
Hence asking for " real experienced opinions " from people who've been there, seen it, done it, experimented with it in the context of mining.
godofal (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 02:53:10 PM

i know that in many cases, any question you could ask can be found in some place or another on the internet
but, that requires in some cases alot of searching and/or researching when a question like this can be asked and waited for, taking only a minute or so of time from someone who already knows
and then even that person can decide himself if he wants to spend his time answering it

this didnt seem like a question a 5 second google would answer, since bitcoin isnt thát big, or thát long around for every possible issue to already have seen the light of the internet

thanks for the answers btw!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: