Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:52:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many btc needed to retire?  (Read 2474 times)
wolverine.ks (OP)

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:24:46 PM

How many bitcoin would you need to retire? What investment,  if any, would you put them in?
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:39:49 PM

Start mining in 2010 - 2011, mine until all your 5990's burn up, put all btc away in cold storage, wait 20 years and retire.

Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:07:46 PM

I would have retired from menial, waste of life, b.s. work a few months ago... if only I had 5000 BTC  Undecided
1bettor.com

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 06:08:57 PM

How many bitcoin would you need to retire? What investment,  if any, would you put them in?

Think about what your asking...How in the world can anyone know where bitcoin will be 1 day from now, 1 month from now or 1 year from now. No one knows the price. Your trying to predict something that isnt predicatable. You can speculate, shit, I can say the sun will come up tomorrow. Odds are in my favor but there is still no guarantee. Only guarantee I know is that we all will perish at some point.
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 06:18:48 PM

I'm sure the person who got paid 10,000 BTC for a pizza 3 years ago, if he/she kept it could retire happily on that.

So to me, getting to 5 figures of BTC like that, would probably be enough to say, I'll consider retirement.

1bettor.com

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 06:19:42 PM

I'm sure the person who got paid 10,000 BTC for a pizza 3 years ago, if he/she kept it could retire happily on that.

So to me, getting to 5 figures of BTC like that, would probably be enough to say, I'll consider retirement.

Can you imagine!? Wow, I would be having a heck of time sleeping at night! Hopefully, the pizza was good Smiley
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:26:31 PM

Can you imagine!? Wow, I would be having a heck of time sleeping at night! Hopefully, the pizza was good Smiley

Just think: in 4 years someone might well be equally impressed with having 100 Bitcoin.  In 10 years?
qxzn

Activity: 609
Merit: 505

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:30:43 PM

Think about what your asking...How in the world can anyone know where bitcoin will be 1 day from now, 1 month from now or 1 year from now. No one knows the price. Your trying to predict something that isnt predicatable. You can speculate, shit, I can say the sun will come up tomorrow. Odds are in my favor but there is still no guarantee. Only guarantee I know is that we all will perish at some point.

+1 (except the part about all of us perishing; this claim is also unverifiable)

First of all, retirement is a myth. I know, because I've been there. You'll get bored. You still have to work; on relationships, your passions. Stuff doesn't just magically happen in your life because you have money.

Of course, you can sit there and do nothing (like the zen guys), or watch TV (much more likely). But if this is what you want to do, you're killing yourself by waiting. If you're sick of work, my advice would be to stop working *now*, not wait decades. Because if you wait, you'll be very sad when you discover that your whole life has wandered by while you were holding out for a bunch of money. If you take time off, you might discover that you actually want to "work", and then it's not work anymore.

So it's irrelevant how much BTC you have. "Retirement" (aka "freedom") depends more on mental outlook than funds in the bank. Maybe there's a limit to this, but it's quite low. Read Thoreau's Walden, he retired with almost no money.

Second of all, retirement is a myth because of what 1bettor says. The guys at Vanguard or Fidelity or your 401k who peddle "retirement" don't know what's going to happen to money, stocks, etc. Most of them are clueless about the risks from government money printing that could collapse the whole system and destroy everyone's "retirement". I guess all I'm saying is.. I wouldn't bank on it!

Finally, bitcoin is risky. Every day there is a nonzero chance of 51% attack or nation-state difficulty attack. If you dream otherwise, you are sticking your head in the sand.
1bettor.com

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 07:03:06 PM

I couldnt agree more with you (except maybe what happens when we die or at least what happens to the soul)! Anyhow, I am a firm believer in being happy, living each day to its fullest and if you're not happy, goddamn it, do something about it!

There is definately no MAGIC. No one can predict. I used to always worry about $ and my job, my family issues, my friends issues, it literally made me nuts. If you hate your job, find one you like, verrrryyyyy simple. If you say you need to make X amount, ask yourself why? You keeping up with the Jones's? Live within your means, hopefully you all know what that means.

I am in my 30's now and man ohhh man, I wish I knew what I knew now back when I was 20 (dont we all). I live my life entirely different, treat people different, my views are differrent, etc.

Sorry to get a little off topic here but one last thing I try to tell my friends and loved ones is, treat everyone with respect and never ever think you are better than anyone because you live here or make X amount or drive a porsche, etc. These material things will only make you happy for a slight instant and then what? Money wont buy you happiness, I can 100% guarantee that. It may make things a little easier at time, make things a little more convenient, but thats about it.

I treat others as I want to be treated.

BTC could be $1.00 next week or $500, who knows. Enjoy life, live your life to the fullest without regret, you never know when your time is up and you dont get to see your loved ones anymore. An hour from now isnt guaranteed, nor is tomorrow. Try to be a good person and make a difference each and every day.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:21:05 PM

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378

nec sine labore

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:31:27 PM

BTC could be $1.00 next week or $500, who knows. Enjoy life, live your life to the fullest without regret, you never know when your time is up and you dont get to see your loved ones anymore. An hour from now isnt guaranteed, nor is tomorrow. Try to be a good person and make a difference each and every day.

Well said, I wholeheartedly agree!

spiccioli
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:52:28 PM

Well said, I wholeheartedly agree!

spiccioli

Neither of you belong here. You both have hearts and not enough greed where your heart should be.  Grin

hammz

Activity: 143
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 08:07:19 PM

How many bitcoin would you need to retire? What investment,  if any, would you put them in?

+1 (except the part about all of us perishing; this claim is also unverifiable)

First of all, retirement is a myth. I know, because I've been there. You'll get bored. You still have to work; on relationships, your passions. Stuff doesn't just magically happen in your life because you have money.

Of course, you can sit there and do nothing (like the zen guys), or watch TV (much more likely). But if this is what you want to do, you're killing yourself by waiting. If you're sick of work, my advice would be to stop working *now*, not wait decades. Because if you wait, you'll be very sad when you discover that your whole life has wandered by while you were holding out for a bunch of money. If you take time off, you might discover that you actually want to "work", and then it's not work anymore.

So it's irrelevant how much BTC you have. "Retirement" (aka "freedom") depends more on mental outlook than funds in the bank. Maybe there's a limit to this, but it's quite low. Read Thoreau's Walden, he retired with almost no money.

Second of all, retirement is a myth because of what 1bettor says. The guys at Vanguard or Fidelity or your 401k who peddle "retirement" don't know what's going to happen to money, stocks, etc. Most of them are clueless about the risks from government money printing that could collapse the whole system and destroy everyone's "retirement". I guess all I'm saying is.. I wouldn't bank on it!

Finally, bitcoin is risky. Every day there is a nonzero chance of 51% attack or nation-state difficulty attack. If you dream otherwise, you are sticking your head in the sand.

Quoted for truth.   Being healthy, and vibrant is the ultimate wealth.   There is no substitute.  

Got all kinds of money from working yourself into the dirt, but a bad back, bum knees, foggy brain, grey hair, saggy skin, and the highlight of the day is getting in a good bowel movement...sounds great....lol
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 08:53:13 PM

One.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
aceking

Activity: 229
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 09:44:47 PM

100k would be enough
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:01:55 PM

If you're member of the Vladimir Club, I believe you will be able to retire on it within 3-5 years.

romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:31:31 PM

never enough, there's a good chance bitcoin to fail.
Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802

GCVMMWH

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 02:25:14 AM

I would think that the point of retirement is to be able to devote maximum time toward things that matter, rather than putting time->money into someone else's pocket with the minor self benefit of being able to pay the rent every month. I sometimes wonder about the casual attitude of those with wealth who never had to worry about such things.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 02:32:34 AM

100k would be enough
$122,000,000 may seem like a lot to you, but not to everyone.  Grin

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
beckspace

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 03:22:45 AM

100k would be enough
$122,000,000 may seem like a lot to you, but not to everyone.  Grin

Mathematically, I presume you meant $12,000,000. BTW $122,000,000 is a lot to everyone.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: