Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 08:40:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One  (Read 6698 times)
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:03:06 PM

I like pc gaming too but local multiplayer is important to me and that's pretty much nonexistent in pc gaming.

Uhh...what?

In my mind I believe you're referring to something along the lines of "split screening" for multiplayer / coop ...otherwise, LAN party anyone?

People still have LAN parties? :p.

And I think he means like... on a console (split screen, as you said) you can have 4 people playing one copy of a game. On PC you need 4 copies.
Yup that's it. No way i'm buying 4 copies of a game just to play with family members. Also most don't allow more than 1 controller at a time so you need a bunch of keyboards it's just a hassle.
Playing with family is usually considered casual gaming and consoles are very well suited for this case. However if you're into hardcore gaming,  a PC is a necesity.

Consoles are used for some hardcore gaming too. Started with the last gen (er, current gen? 360/PS4). So that's not always true now, although I do agree that I'd rather do hardcore gaming on a PC.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Darktongue

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:49:32 PM

As an old school gamer I'd have to decline this system.  Several problems exist that make me pucker my asshole.  One being thepprice.  Second the lack of retro games support and this shit of no more pre owned games. I understand that if you purchase a used game the dev doesn't see any of that cash. But don't they make most of the money out of the title at launch? 

Another factor is the online aspect.  I'm one out of a small number of people who have no desire to play online or have my unit connected to the internet.  So I would not get the full use i f any use out of this system.  It's a bummer as I was just going to wait for the new system after my 360 shit the bed. I believe what I'll do now is get a ps3 and entertain myself with the exclusive titles i haven't played for that system.  People will be unloading them pretty cheap once this all hits the market
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 03:04:24 PM

As an old school gamer I'd have to decline this system.  Several problems exist that make me pucker my asshole.  One being thepprice.  Second the lack of retro games support and this shit of no more pre owned games. I understand that if you purchase a used game the dev doesn't see any of that cash. But don't they make most of the money out of the title at launch? 

Another factor is the online aspect.  I'm one out of a small number of people who have no desire to play online or have my unit connected to the internet.  So I would not get the full use i f any use out of this system.  It's a bummer as I was just going to wait for the new system after my 360 shit the bed. I believe what I'll do now is get a ps3 and entertain myself with the exclusive titles i haven't played for that system.  People will be unloading them pretty cheap once this all hits the market

The One will undoubtedly be hacked at some point for backup games. If you only play offline, this is definitely an option; while I don't condone piracy, I see no problem with hacking the system and using pre-owned games on it.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:16:02 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2013, 07:20:15 AM by manfred

If a buy a game i own it and it's my right to resell. If i buy a new car in the future is it going to be linked to my DNA and cant be resold? Personalised phone, TV.......where does it end?  Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of a cancer.
It just shows the sysyem is on its final leg.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:21:28 PM

The price is still pretty steep if you compare it to a PC. Consoles are made of the same architecture of PC x86. Which I consider old technology, consoles have always been a step behind for obvious reasons. They wanted to be dedicated gaming machines back in the days. They are now turning into multimedia crap.
In fact, the xbox looks just like a tablet, has the same function as a smart tv and a tablet, just with better processing speeds and better graphics etc.
So why in the world that much? What gets to me is the speculation price of games. JUST WOW. For a game I expect to pay so little, it's not as big as the console but it's like 1/4 of the price.

In comparison to the consoles, I believe sony will absolutely destroy xbox, maybe not in sales. But in quality of GAMING, because that's is what a console is for, in my opinion that is.
Microsoft are letting their self down, xbox as been leading for a few years with their consoles, but they insist that we want multimedia. But, why? What happened to customers always right? Well this is a potential customer speaking, reduce you're god dam prices and make me a dedicated gaming console please.

The only reason I used to like playing consoles, is you can have co-op on one thing and have you're family & friends around to play a game. You've got to think of the broadband that the kinect is going to be using. If you have a rather crap download and upload speeds then microsoft made a rather stupid and rude quote: "If you can't afford internet, then you can't afford the xbox one". Well, it was something along those lines. I could find it if any of you are interested.
How awful is that? Note to microsoft, I have been a previous customer with working internet and paying for you're online subscription, so why in the word would you say I can't afford it when I have the last few years? It's because of their stupid accessories which they are adding on to the console.
WE all know how much of a flop the kinect was, I have friends which purchased it and never used it more than 20 times, why? because it's not very responsive and just...not right.
Don't get me wrong the ps3 tried the same with playstation move which I also didn't buy or like the idea of.

I think I have mad emy point clear that I will not be paying for the next Gen consoles, because they are rather disappointing overall.
At least sony has the sense to allow pre owed games.But they both missed one factor, backward compatibility, yes it's a very hard procedure to do and is very time consuming. But, I know that part of the future jailbreaks will be emulators which will allow you to play games from ps2 etc.
Remember the big hit mega drive? huh, yeah. Well that got a emulator on ps2. Yes, it was buggy. But at least they tried (modders that is).
fwho

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:27:25 PM

It just shows that capitalisms is on its final leg.

Capitalism is dying because Microsoft did something stupid and everyone decided to by a PS4 instead?
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:29:08 PM

Capitalism is dying because Microsoft did something stupid and everyone decided to by a PS4 instead?

Not really. Capitalism has been failing since the start. Look how messed up the world is.

So, out of interest who is considering buying either one of these consoles? And who is converting to PC instead?
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:58:40 PM

Not really. Capitalism has been failing since the start. Look how messed up the world is.

So, out of interest who is considering buying either one of these consoles? And who is converting to PC instead?

I may get a PS4, though likely not. Definitely won't get a One. I'm already a pretty hardcore PC gamer so no real converting, :p

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:03:21 PM

I may get a PS4, though likely not. Definitely won't get a One. I'm already a pretty hardcore PC gamer so no real converting, :p

I've been into PC for years now. But, I have always liked consoles for playing with family & friends around the house. You know have a few beers and play on the xbox/ps3 for a few hours. Or, sometimes we used to have flat out gaming sessions.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:07:46 PM

I've been into PC for years now. But, I have always liked consoles for playing with family & friends around the house. You know have a few beers and play on the xbox/ps3 for a few hours. Or, sometimes we used to have flat out gaming sessions.

Yeah, but next-gen feels like it's killing that. My big selling point of the 360 was the Kinect. That thing is amazing. But the One is completely screwing everything up.

I never got a PS3 btw... not sure why, lol.

fwho

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:10:55 PM

I never got a PS3 either, its always been 360. I will be playing most games on PC now, but will probably eventually get a PS4.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:18:08 PM

I never got a PS3 either, its always been 360. I will be playing most games on PC now, but will probably eventually get a PS4.

If I get a next-gen (I really don't think I will though) it will have to be a PS4. The only alternative for me is the Wii-U, which is too Wii-like for me. It's like a glorified Dreamcast.

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:18:27 PM

Yeah, but next-gen feels like it's killing that. My big selling point of the 360 was the Kinect. That thing is amazing. But the One is completely screwing everything up.

I have had experience with Xbox 360, and the whole Playstation franchise. It's strange that I finally converted to Xbox, but that is not because I preferred it, it's because of the amount of my friends who were on it. To be quite honest, I think they are both the same. They both have their faults but no comparison to the Xbox One. The Ps3 has always ran faster and lasted longer for me. Hey, I still have my phat ps3, which I bought 3 days after release. Still running fast and smooth. I mainly like Ps3 because of it's OS, I Linux. Xbox has always had a bigger fan base, mainly due to the amount of people that use microsoft, as microsoft is the leading OS for regular computer users. People like to stick to what they got, people don't like change.

Personally, I didn't like the look of the Kinect, Now that I have heard that the microphone and cam will always be on, WHAT? That's a privacy concern isn't? I think microsoft is trusted, but I don't know...One thing I really used to like about the Xbox is the controllers, they are very tough and durable, unlike the ps3's.
I tend to squeeze quite hard whilst playing on the console (Don't know why, PC I don't squeeze mouse).
I have gone through around 3 extra Ps3 controllers, which weren't cheap at the time.

But, PC is the way to go. Hey, some people say "Once you go PC, you'll never go back".

If I get a next-gen (I really don't think I will though) it will have to be a PS4. The only alternative for me is the Wii-U, which is too Wii-like for me. It's like a glorified Dreamcast.

If I had to choose, it would be the Ps4. I might yet get it, but may wait a while for the price to drop and to hear reviews.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:22:53 PM

I have had experience with Xbox 360, and the whole Playstation franchise. It's strange that I finally converted to Xbox, but that is not because I preferred it, it's because of the amount of my friends who were on it. To be quite honest, I think they are both the same. They both have their faults but no comparison to the Xbox One. The Ps3 has always ran faster and lasted longer for me. Hey, I still have my phat ps3, which I bought 3 days after release. Still running fast and smooth. I mainly like Ps3 because of it's OS, I Linux. Xbox has always had a bigger fan base, mainly due to the amount of people that use microsoft, as microsoft is the leading OS for regular computer users. People like to stick to what they got, people don't like change.

Personally, I didn't like the look of the Kinect, Now that I have heard that the microphone and cam will always be on, WHAT? That's a privacy concern isn't? I think microsoft is trusted, but I don't know...One thing I really used to like about the Xbox is the controllers, they are very tough and durable, unlike the ps3's.
I tend to squeeze quite hard whilst playing on the console (Don't know why, PC I don't squeeze mouse).
I have gone through around 3 extra Ps3 controllers, which weren't cheap at the time.

But, PC is the way to go. Hey, some people say "Once you go PC, you'll never go back".

If I had to choose, it would be the Ps4. I might yet get it, but may wait a while for the price to drop and to hear reviews.

"Once you go PC, you'll never go back" isn't always true though. On the 360, my favorite game by far was Lost Odyssey. That's an example of a quality game you just can't get on PC. And it sucks because I'd love to be able to play all the good next-gen games on PC, Sad.

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:24:44 PM

"Once you go PC, you'll never go back" isn't always true though. On the 360, my favorite game by far was Lost Odyssey. That's an example of a quality game you just can't get on PC. And it sucks because I'd love to be able to play all the good next-gen games on PC, Sad.

That's why I said 'some' Wink. I have never actually played that game. I have heard reviews and they are normally good. I might just look for that on amazon or where ever I can find it.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:34:19 PM

That's why I said 'some' Wink. I have never actually played that game. I have heard reviews and they are normally good. I might just look for that on amazon or where ever I can find it.

Oh man, it's awesome. I got into RPG's back in the PSX days because I loved how they had hundreds of hours of actual content, rather than being a 30-45 minute game that you beat and throw down. I started with FF7.

Lost Odyssey is a pretty long game and it's got a lot of humor in it. Well worth playing!

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:41:50 AM

Oh man, it's awesome. I got into RPG's back in the PSX days because I loved how they had hundreds of hours of actual content, rather than being a 30-45 minute game that you beat and throw down. I started with FF7.

Lost Odyssey is a pretty long game and it's got a lot of humor in it. Well worth playing!

Just ordered it. After watching a video on it, I think I'll enjoy the game. Looking forward to it's arrival. (Means I'm going have to have time off work...just kidding....but I'm going have to find the time for it somewhere).
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:23:18 AM

Most of the games I play on my PC these days also require me to be online - even for single player (via Steam, Origin, or whatever). Not sure what the difference is?
Oh, man, and do I want to stomp on those assholes who've been releasing always-on DRM in games which end up pirated, anyway. Dumbest shit I think I've ever heard of in any industry - almost as bad as Sony BGM's clusterfuck, except it's turning into "industry practice" with games (as well as productivity software -- and yeah, all major software is cracked no matter how obnoxious the DRM is). Fuck that.

Here are some games I could think of off the top of my head with always-on DRM:
Diablo III (last always-on DRM game I'll ever pay for. Cracked [playable offline], allegedly private servers now, too)
Starcraft II (cracked, LAN & multiplayer through private servers)
SimCity (always-on DRM caused an absolutely horrible launch similar to Diablo III's, and yep - it's cracked, playable offline)
Command & Conquer 4 (cracked, playable offline)
Ubisoft's "bad Uplay experiment" (all cracked afaik -- Ubisoft publicly committed to ceasing use of always-on DRM in their games last year)

So... It prevents pirates from playing the game for a few days, and then they spend a few days downloading, and then.....? Well - yeah, the legitimate customers forever have to put up with servers going down for maintenance, not always having an Internet connection (hello - I exist! In instances where I buy before playing a game, I do frequently end up pirating the game I just bought to get rid of DRM hassles [or back in the day, because I lost the case with the CD key on it]), and sometimes even lag. Lag in a single-player game...  Angry

Even MMO devs have had their server software reverse-engineered, where free private servers are created and often run comparably to the server software made by the company which designed the freakin' game (when SOE converted most of their MMOs into pay-to-wins, free servers ended up offering a far-superior service). MMOs, though, have a much greater piracy-free shelf-life (up to a decade, compared to days with non-MMOs) due to just how much is required to be done. That's not to say private servers are made for pirates, though.

I'll never go back to consoles simply because it's too difficult to pirate their games reliably, and I don't trust corporate developers enough to release games without time-wasting and intrusive DRM schemes. I couldn't even use the Xbone, because I only have a usable Internet connection for maybe half the day (and even then, it's 2-60kb/s). Some of this gen's consoles were very close to being piracy-free, and many have to use old firmware to play pirated games. Incidentally, my first "significant" BTC purchase was a soft-modded Wii. So... Idunno... not even really any reason to be angry -- as a minority (at least in the US) unable to play always-on games, I'm ignored. The minute I "ignore" them to snag a modified copy of the software I can actually use, it's criminal. Go figure.
Unluckyduck

Activity: 359

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:45:13 AM

Xbox One is a flop and will crash and burn as soon as it comes out.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:35:44 AM

Xbox One is a flop and will crash and burn as soon as it comes out.

Sadly this isn't going to happen. People will always be Xbox fans and they are going to get the One regardless of what happens. Especially those who are interested in exclusive games.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: