Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:50:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Backing up walltet with Dropbox  (Read 977 times)
jsttn (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 09:14:12 PM

Does anybody do this? If so, how?
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 09:17:33 PM

I wouldn't do it unless you payed me more in USd than I had in bitcoins Wink
Seriously dropbox has been all over the news about how lax their security is. Just yesterday I read an article on them about having issues
with users passwords.
back it up to a cheap usb stick and lock it in a safe

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
JazzyJ

Activity: 54

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 09:21:49 PM

I think it's a good idea, just make sure it's encrypted with a decent passphrase. Truecrypt is good for that.
Ratman2050

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 09:37:27 PM

I wouldn't do it unless you payed me more in USd than I had in bitcoins Wink
Seriously dropbox has been all over the news about how lax their security is. Just yesterday I read an article on them about having issues
with users passwords.
back it up to a cheap usb stick and lock it in a safe

+1 to this guy, https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet.

A 512mb usb drive is a few bucks nowadays.

Feeling Lucky?

1AV6Qjiwhd5X9XAQ14jjiWHnGGLYFYZv5v
tanascius

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 09:52:01 PM

Does anybody do this? If so, how?

I run the whole bitcoin client in a truecrypt partition of about 1GB size. This is synced to dropbox. I have no concerns about security this way.
Jimerson

Activity: 22

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 09:52:33 PM

This thread had some very good advice on backing up your wallet:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=17240.0

As others have stated, DropBox has been all over the news for their security issues. There is no way that I would consider it without first encrypting it.
JazzyJ

Activity: 54

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 09:58:15 PM

The things I don't really get.
Say you have a backup of your wallet on a USB drive. If you lose that but you still have the wallet on your PC what do you do, Do you need to run to your PC as soon as poss and transfer the funds?... If you have send most of your bitcoins to a wallet you've stored somewhere offline.. How long can that wallet stay offline before the money is lost? what happens if you've encrypted that wallet and you forget the password? Smiley
Kakoon

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:05:43 PM

I use truecrypt, works well, you just have to mount it everytime you run the bitcoin client. But I also have a password-protected 7z file in my dropbox, just for sure.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2011, 10:15:20 PM

USB drive. If you lose that but you still have the wallet on your PC what do you do, Do you need to run to your PC as soon as poss and transfer the funds?...
Yes. That's exactly what you do.

If you have send most of your bitcoins to a wallet you've stored somewhere offline.. How long can that wallet stay offline before the money is lost?
Forever. There is nothing you need to do to receive or hold bitcoins other than having the corresponding private key for the address stored somewhere safe.

what happens if you've encrypted that wallet and you forget the password? Smiley
Assuming you have no accessible copy of the private key(s), the coins are lost.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Ratman2050

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:40:39 PM

The things I don't really get.
Say you have a backup of your wallet on a USB drive. If you lose that but you still have the wallet on your PC what do you do, Do you need to run to your PC as soon as poss and transfer the funds?... If you have send most of your bitcoins to a wallet you've stored somewhere offline.. How long can that wallet stay offline before the money is lost? what happens if you've encrypted that wallet and you forget the password? Smiley

We're not talking about human error here, it's up to the user to remember their own password.

Feeling Lucky?

1AV6Qjiwhd5X9XAQ14jjiWHnGGLYFYZv5v
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: