Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:28:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: LolzSecurity(?) takes over mtgox IRC channel #mtgox and announces  (Read 7015 times)
LudwigDG

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:51:34 PM

hilarious, whether it's for real or faked: they did it for the lulz! Tongue

Yea well this data damaged the community a lot cause money, value was stolen. Previous Lulz hacks didn't have this effect.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Grant

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:59:52 PM

For some reason i doubt this was LulzSec.

LulzSec has financial interest in keeping Bitcoin stable. What was said by the TOR client by the name "LulzSecurity" in that channel seems to contradict their own interest. I shall never say never, but it just doesn't seem to be productive from their point of view, afterall they are a for-profit hacking co. (that lives off donations)
dodgrr

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:02:14 PM

seems like they'd want to drive the value up, not create a fear that would result in bitcoins losing value  Huh

fujiwara

Activity: 38

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:02:47 PM

hilarious, whether it's for real or faked: they did it for the lulz! Tongue

Yea well this data damaged the community a lot cause money, value was stolen. Previous Lulz hacks didn't have this effect.

I meant the takover of the IRC chan, not the things that happened on sunday. Lulzsec was my first guess, but as you're saying, it doesn't make too much sense regarding their "daily business".
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:05:54 PM

wait.. people still use internet chat rooms?

Mousepotato
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:09:06 PM

I think their position is, if people don't fix the security holes, they will penetrate and make a mess to prove it needs fixing

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
£

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:12:21 PM

*popcorn ready*

*leans over his shoulder in the dark of a new thread and lifts airdata's popcorn*
AtlasONo

Activity: 551

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:15:59 PM

OMG someone registered an unregistered channel!!  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
alexbasasa

Activity: 16

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2011, 11:30:36 PM

seems like they'd want to drive the value up, not create a fear that would result in bitcoins losing value  Huh

I'd probably say that their attack (if it was in fact them) was a good thing for BitCoin in the long run. It's not really helpful to have the value rise if people don't take security seriously, and if the economy becomes heavily centralized. If in the future there are lots of small exchanges, with good security, the value of BTC's will go up, but this is in a time frame of years, not weeks Smiley
BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:33:50 PM

The hacks that took down CCP (EVE), Minecraft, and League of Legends didn't damage the community? I don't know what news sources you read, but they must not agree with mine.

Anyway, Lulzsec, I think, is unlikely to cause serious harm to the Bitcoin economy, though I have no doubt they could if they wanted. They take donations in Bitcoin, and generate quite a bit of revenue that way, so if they took out Bitcoin, or at least destabilized it, it would hurt them a lot. They're just having fun.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
£

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 12:28:14 AM

Hmm, I wonder if hacking is compatible with Libertarianism. Any thoughts?

It's a difficult one, certainly, I suppose it subscribes to a loose doctrine of self-determination.
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 12:58:17 AM

I think it's awesome that the people responsible for millions of dollars in transactions, and handling encryption keys, can't seem to figure out how IRC works.

Thank you Lulz, for not only making this an entertaining post, but for also letting me know people still go on IRC.  Haven't been on since about 1997 or so myself, back in the America Online free trial CD days.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
zer0

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 12:58:47 AM

lulzsec imposters
there are tons of them

you can email them and ask if it was them, they will respond like they always do if it's not on their twitter/site it wasn't them
privacybox.de/lulzsec

there are patriotic clowns masquerading as hackers doing stupid shit in lulzsec name to discredit them, bitcoin and everything else. i suggest you start looking at the jester's twitter this is right up his alley to gain ops on an IRC channel then issue a bunch of threats under somebody else's name. he's also probably responsible for DDOS'ing bitcoin exchanges for uncle sam
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 02:32:30 AM

lulzsec imposters
there are tons of them

you can email them and ask if it was them, they will respond like they always do if it's not on their twitter/site it wasn't them
privacybox.de/lulzsec

there are patriotic clowns masquerading as hackers doing stupid shit in lulzsec name to discredit them, bitcoin and everything else. i suggest you start looking at the jester's twitter this is right up his alley to gain ops on an IRC channel then issue a bunch of threats under somebody else's name. he's also probably responsible for DDOS'ing bitcoin exchanges for uncle sam

Do you think it likely that jester is hacking bitcoiners for uncle sam?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: