Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:35:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Holy Grail! I wish I could kiss the author of Bitmessage on his face.  (Read 92687 times)
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:53:35 AM

Heheh, this shows you do recognise the value of Ripple, and are only worried about XRP displacing Bitcoin and miffed that Ripple doesn't have mining, totally contrary to your own assertions. Ripple, OT, Bitmessage, Zerocoin, and all kinds of other P2P tools are largely synergetic and partially competitive, and both of these are a good thing.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ares

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:20:08 AM

Bye bye Ripple.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:32:49 AM

A colored coin issuer can demand KYC info from anyone converting in/out directly through that issuer.

Therefore the issuer is compliant. (Consult an attorney -- that's my opinion, and it's not legal advice.)

This is no different than MtGox is today: users are giving each other BTC all the time outside of MtGox -- but only the ones who cash out through a MtGox bank wire actually have to cough up their identification info.

You're probably right. But IANAL either.

Question: Wouldn't a p2p marketplace for escrows which do not hold your fiat be even better than that? The escrows only need to intervene when there's a dispute. But traders are still responsible for transferring funds to one-another, as in OTC. BTC-funds would be locked in 2-of-3 addresses, waiting for the fiat transfer to complete. No "bank-account to hold them all". If you have an API to access your bank account (think merchants) you can even automate everything, as the look-up for escrows could be based on deterministic criteria.

This is similar to what I have proposed. Stick the BTC in a multi-sig voting pool for safety, and then use Open-Transactions escrow and Open-Transactions markets for the actual exchanges.

(Except in my proposal, everything is automated.)

Fantastic.

I really need to read more about it. Since my first introduction to OT I was impressed by it. It seems its time is finally coming. Smiley

As soon as have my hands on my wallet, you'll receive a small contribution of my part for your great work.
Thanks!
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:47:53 AM

First it's Bitcoin early adopters are no different from Opencoin Inc's printing press, then it's OT is no different from Ripple, there seems to be no bottom to the Ripple pimps' absymal intellectual capability, and that's why you should stay away from them.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
mmeijeri

Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:57:27 AM

Heheh, I was advocating OT and Bitmessage as an alternative to Ripple before you guys started talking about it. Ripple enthusiasts aren't Bitcoin haters or OT haters. The only ones who do the hating are a small but vocal band of intellectually dishonest people who are afraid to lose their money. Bitcoin, Ripple, OT, Zerocoin, Bitmessage, Tor, I2P etc etc are all great and largely synergetic. We live in very interesting times, let's not let a small group of haters spoil it.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
doyourduty

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 09:10:10 AM

smart people working like this beats academia by a mile

fellowtraveler went from idea, peer review, to increased funding (literally cash in hand) and collaboration in less than 24 hrs. 
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 09:20:48 AM

LOL, that made my day Cheesy

But seriously, really excited about this. Let's put some serious work on this thing.

FreddyFender

Activity: 215

Shamantastic!

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 12:09:28 PM

fellowtraveler went from idea, peer review, to increased funding (literally cash in hand) and collaboration in less than 24 hrs. 

Fellowtraveler has been determined to see OT succeed since introducing it many moons ago. I have pointed out the need for OT, as have others, to key developers on the forums/IRC which fell on deaf ears.
Only the latest fears of de"gox"ification has opened everyone up to the possibility that we had the solution in front of us all the time. This is not a download once, free mined coins, windows-only easy pie GUI. This solution requires work by server dudes, graphics guys/gals and architecture.
BMOT is a framework that opens a new playground. SCAMMERS WON'T LIKE THIS PLACE and traders must play fair. No more speculation walls or bit* scams allowed. Bitcoin and altcoins acting cooperatively and contracts/commodities/PMs from legitimate sources or GTFO! This has a built in stop button! No more jungle tactics. The strong will survive and thrive, but the newbies can cling to the strong instead of being fleeced by the wolves.
TLDR;
FT has waited for the perfect moment to reintroduce Open-Transactions.
OT with BM can setup groupings of pooled interests.

luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 01:31:18 PM

Fellowtraveler has been determined to see OT succeed since introducing it many moons ago. I have pointed out the need for OT, as have others, to key developers on the forums/IRC which fell on deaf ears.
Only the latest fears of de"gox"ification has opened everyone up to the possibility that we had the solution in front of us all the time. This is not a download once, free mined coins, windows-only easy pie GUI. This solution requires work by server dudes, graphics guys/gals and architecture.
BMOT is a framework that opens a new playground. SCAMMERS WON'T LIKE THIS PLACE and traders must play fair. No more speculation walls or bit* scams allowed. Bitcoin and altcoins acting cooperatively and contracts/commodities/PMs from legitimate sources or GTFO! This has a built in stop button! No more jungle tactics. The strong will survive and thrive, but the newbies can cling to the strong instead of being fleeced by the wolves.
TLDR;
FT has waited for the perfect moment to reintroduce Open-Transactions.
OT with BM can setup groupings of pooled interests.

wow so the DOJ cracking down on gox's US account might be the best thing to have possibly happened for OT and p2p exchanges generally

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 01:45:56 PM

Well, I thought OT would have it's great moment when GLBSE 2.0 went down, seems no exchange website picked it up though.

Maybe this time with exchanges mostly not really threatened by their incompetence (= being hacked) any more but rather their environment (= regulatory issues and accounts seized) OT will have it's moment...

Realisitically though to be honest, there is no need so far to wait for BM integration, OpenTransactions could already work for months on exchanges - all BM would enable is a decentralized network/order book between the exchanges as far as I get it. If people really think OT is the next level of IOU trading, they could have done so via different channels already for months/years.

PoW in BM instead of PoS and destroying XRP in Opencoin Ripple as spam prevention tool is a proven concept in Bitcoin, but it is also proven to be quite difficult in practice. Let's see how long it takes until I can withdraw BTC (and USD!) to OT on one of the top 5 exchanges on bitcoinmarkets.com and deposit them elsewhere...

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Atheros

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 04:31:03 PM

Hello everyone

fellowtraveler,
It appears to me that you need an API command in Bitmessage to generate an address from the "Silver_Asset_ID+Server_A_ID+EURO_SEPA" string without actually adding it to the software's collection of addresses; this way Bob or Jorg could then subscribe to the address.
So it appears to me that we need three more API commands:
getDeterministicAddress
addSubscription
deleteSubscription

Shall I add them?

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
Luckybit

Merit: 510

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:36:09 PM

Just like a gateway in ripple, this is the point of weakness for all the P2P exchange design: That escrow/gateway must be able to communicate with banks through an authorized channel and that channel is controlled by banks

Yes, as long as you have to communicate with legacy bank systems, you will have to follow their rules and regulations KYC etc...
Do not expect this to make proper exchanges obsolete all of the sudden. You need to take the commerce completely out of legacy bank system to not depended on whims of the banks. Or we could just buy a few banks... and have them run some OT servers.

Ok, let's crowdfund that Wink

Bitcoin credit unions are already being built. Build one in every city.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1eu87f/
fellowtraveler (OP)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 10:07:57 PM
Last edit: May 23, 2013, 10:28:03 PM by fellowtraveler

Hello everyone

fellowtraveler,
It appears to me that you need an API command in Bitmessage to generate an address from the "Silver_Asset_ID+Server_A_ID+EURO_SEPA" string without actually adding it to the software's collection of addresses; this way Bob or Jorg could then subscribe to the address.
So it appears to me that we need three more API commands:
getDeterministicAddress
addSubscription
deleteSubscription

Shall I add them?

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 11:15:21 PM

Sorry to keep asking, but I still miss one crucial point.

For all this to work, if Alice wants to buy bitcoins with dollars, at some point she'll have to put some money into the OT+BM ecosystem by means of a wire transfer (I mean a classic oldschool bank transfer or SEPA transaction). How can she be sure the person she wires her fiat money to (let's call him Bob) doesn't disappear, or claims he never received it, or otherwise screws her over?

From what I've read, Bob has to put in some crypto currency as collateral, so that if he disappears with the money, he'll actually end up losing more than he took from Alice. Is this right? If yes, how can Bob be sure that whoever he pays collateral to, won't disappear with that?

OR, what happens if Alice claims she wired her dollars to Bob's bank account, but she actually never did. Who's going to decide if Alice or Bob is right?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
boonies4u

Activity: 826

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 11:55:43 PM

From what I've read, Bob has to put in some crypto currency as collateral, so that if he disappears with the money, he'll actually end up losing more than he took from Alice. Is this right? If yes, how can Bob be sure that whoever he pays collateral to, won't disappear with that?

I've been following this thread, felt like jumping in here.

I think the idea is escrow, rather than collateral. Both Alice's SEPA transferred funds and Bob's crypto would be floating in the air at the same time if I'm understanding things properly.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 12:25:22 AM

I think the idea is escrow, rather than collateral. Both Alice's SEPA transferred funds and Bob's crypto would be floating in the air at the same time if I'm understanding things properly.
Uhm, how can the OT+BM (or any non-banking) system put any constraints, control, or monitoring on wire transfers which occur only between banks? I mean Alice can say her SEPA funds are in the air, but who knows if they really are?

I'm not sure how this escrow thing works. Is that based on trust (and how is that assigned?) or some smart novelty that eliminates the need of trust?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
boonies4u

Activity: 826

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 12:30:59 AM

Uhm, how can the OT+BM (or any non-banking) system put any constraints, control, or monitoring on wire transfers which occur only between banks? I mean Alice can say her SEPA funds are in the air, but who knows if they really are?

I'm not sure how this escrow thing works. Is that based on trust (and how is that assigned?) or some smart novelty that eliminates the need of trust?

I believe that OT server doesn't hold funds directly, but waits until transactions are ready to be forwarded and then signs them off. Doesn't the anonymity gained from OT come from two parties not directly sending funds to eachother?

I'm just going off of what has been posted in the thread so far, I'd love to hear someone more knowledgeable to give us a summary on example transactions.
FreddyFender

Activity: 215

Shamantastic!

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 02:27:44 AM

Imagine: Federated OT servers act like agents who agree on outcome with "best data" versus "best guess".
My friends and I set up a consortium of bitcoin/litecoin/bytecoin/etc and an offer sheet with floating values that our bots are deciding versus other consortiums or solo players. Money exchanges are still guarded by local laws, so we all need to check with lawyers or regulators.
Imagine: My bitcoins are colored to reflect straight up trades and not speculative trading. Litecoins are being used in arbitrage to balance trading gaps between sudden moves on markets that cannot enter money exchanges.

fellowtraveler (OP)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 02:35:52 AM
Last edit: May 24, 2013, 02:46:16 AM by fellowtraveler

Sorry to keep asking, but I still miss one crucial point.

No problem. Excellent questions!

For all this to work, if Alice wants to buy bitcoins with dollars, at some point she'll have to put some money into the OT+BM ecosystem...

…and get money back out again. I assume by this you mean "legacy cash money in hand" and/or "legacy money in the legacy bank."

--- Keep in mind that most transfers will happen inside the OT system, or on the blockchain…
--- That is, while bailing legacy cash in/out of the system is possible, that should not happen for each and every transaction….
--- Also keep in mind that once you bailout BTC or colored coins from an OT server, then it has passed outside the sphere of OT, and you can cash it out in whatever conventional way that you normally would, based on the existing market for Bitcoin services. (This would be an option as well.)
--- …Therefore I restricted my Bitmessage examples to only cases where the two parties both are transacting within OT. (The reason being that we can then assume that OT's powers apply -- such as markets and escrow.)

That having been said, here are various options I can imagine for bailing legacy funds into/out of the system …

=> Bitcoin ATMs. These were at the Bitcoin 2013 Conference in various configurations, and so the option is rapidly approaching to use them.

=> Through your social network: This was always what enamored me of the Ripple idea originally -- that instead of using a centralized exchange, you can just "go through your friends." And if your friend will hand you some cash in return for a Ripple transfer, then similarly he should be willing to hand you some cash in return for an OT or blockchain transfer. (And vice-versa.)

=> Geolocation: Apple has recently publicized the concept of people providing ATM service for each other. Your iPhone just finds someone nearby who hands you $60. (At the same time, $62.50 is charged to your iTunes account.)
The same could clearly work for colored coins in a P2P app. (Even the open-source community could easily build such an app using OT -- though Monetas itself possibly could not, depending on the status of Apple's patent.)

=> SEPA transfer: In Europe, bank users can quickly and easily send transfers to each other's accounts through the SEPA API, and verify whether such transfers have been made.

=> Meetups: There are already local Bitcoin meet-ups; thus it seems like a viable method of exchange for cash.

=> Gateways: (Ripple seems to have popularized this nomenclature, so I'm going to use it here.) This is any business that users are willing to trust for the purposes of sending/receiving bank wires, SEPA transfers, ACH transfers, etc.

===> The main difference here is that in the case of Open-Transactions, your funds would not be stored as an IOU from the gateway. Many have said that on this forum, but that is not actually the case. On OT, you are buying/selling BTC and colored coins, instead of issuing IOUs.
(Issuers do have the ability on OT to issue IOUs, but that is not the solution I've suggested in this thread. Rather, I've suggested to store the actual coins in voting pools so that an OT server can transact them without having to be trusted not to steal them.)

===> In the case of OT, the "gateway" becomes a "trader". Instead of holding IOUs from a gateway, you are purchasing or selling BTC or colored coins from a trader. And that Trader is NOT an OT server -- but another OT user, like you!
And since this transaction is occurring inside an OT server:
- it will be instant, instead of requiring blockchain confirmations.
- It can be performed on a market, where orders are automatically matched according to their criteria.
- It can be performed through the use of escrow -- and the terms of that escrow can be customized by the parties (since the escrow itself is implemented as a smart contract -- and users can customize their own smart contracts.)
- Via Bitmessage, wallets can coordinate cross-server wiring of funds, as well as cross-server order matching, and cross-server discovery of other wallets willing to make transfers in/out of the legacy banking system, by way of OT escrow.

===> In any case, whether you are obtaining IOUs from a gateway (Ripple), or whether you are buying/selling BTC and colored coins from a trader (OT), either way, I assume that such businesses will be willing to take/pay cash at their physical locations, and bank wires otherwise. (Otherwise, why are they even in this business?) Therefore, you can move legacy funds in/out through such businesses.
Personally, I prefer cash-in-hand over IOUs, which is why OT places such a high value on the ability to customize your escrow terms.

=> Bank Wires: One example of why I prefer cash-in-hand: If you purchase precious metals for physical delivery, you will discover that orders can be shipped based on a bank wire, yet the same business is not willing to ship based on a credit card purchase (due to chargeback risk.)
Therefore bank wires are a valid method for getting money in/out of the bank account, albeit slow and expensive.

=> Bitcoin Exchanges: exchanges are one way to trade Bitcoins for national currency and get a bank wire, so it deserves to be on this list. Any BTC traded on an OT server could presumably be bailed-off of OT and cashed-in through a Bitcoin exchange (with the laws in that jurisdiction applying.)

=> The original issuer: In the case of colored coins, there is some issuer in some jurisdiction who originally created--and has agreed to redeem--those colored coins. Presumably he could be paid (and pay others) through BTC or through bank wires or cheques.
NOTE: Most actual users shouldn't have to deal with this guy directly. Another note: Once users have uploaded these coins into multi-sig voting pools, they can then devise basket currencies to hold and transact with. This enables users to distribute the risk of a single currency across many issuers.

=> Prepaid card / bank card: It seems that a prepaid card could be given to the user, with funds placed onto the card easily enough based on whether the user had paid the card issuer on OT.
- Escrow probably not necessary in this case, and card issuers can demand to be pre-paid.

How can she be sure the person she wires her fiat money to (let's call him Bob) doesn't disappear, or claims he never received it, or otherwise screws her over?

She cannot, although the above examples are all different. This is why I place such a high premium on escrow, reputation, risk limits, and cash streaming protocols.

If the money is stashed inside a smart contract on OT, then the OT server is incapable of forging any receipts internally, nor is it capable of stealing BTC or colored coins from the multi-sig voting pool those coins should be stored in. Therefore the holder (OT server) cannot disappear with those coins.

You might ask, but which party to that smart contract is ultimately going to get the funds, in the event of a dispute?

OR, what happens if Alice claims she wired her dollars to Bob's bank account, but she actually never did. Who's going to decide if Alice or Bob is right?

This is totally determined by the smart contract itself. And since these can be customized (through scripted clauses), then ultimately the open source community will have to decide for themselves, for the various cases, what is an acceptable distribution of risk.

For example, let's say that Jorg is receiving colored coins all day, in return for SEPA transfers. He might deal with scammers all the time, which is why he demands a smart contract where the funds go into escrow and he can verify their existence (safely stashed there) before initiating the SEPA transfer.

Also, let's say that his terms specify that once he notifies the smart contract of the initiation of the SEPA transfer, he is guaranteed that he will receive the escrowed colored coins after X hours, unless Alice files a dispute.

…And in THAT case, say the smart contract terms require the decision to then be rendered by Judge Judy (as the sample escrow contract in OT actually does.) And then things will either be proved to her, or they won't. (And if you don't trust Judge Judy's adjudication skills, then don't use a trader who insists on using Judy's contract.)

Jorg might have to operate based on a whitelist or even a blacklist -- but at $X per transfer, he'll be operating. And remember, he's not issuing IOUs -- he's just buying and selling BTC and colored coins. He's also not operating an OT server, since he is actually just another user, like you.

Quote from: Kazimir

Here is an article on Open-Transactions smart contracts.

--- To whatever degree that SEPA API calls are possible to automate verification of transfers, then I'm sure those will end up being used.

--- To whatever degree transfer protocols are possible based on parties providing manual notifications to the smart contract of certain payment events, those will be happening as well.

--- To whatever degree that "Judge Judy" has to get involved and make a human decision, in the case of disputes, then smart contracts will have to support that mechanism. (The escrow sample contract that comes with OT, already does this.)

---- To whatever degree that whitelists, blacklists, and other reputations systems become necessary, (monkeysphere ?)

--- …as well as to whatever degree risk limits and cash streaming protocols will be used, they will be, -- wherever they enable new transactions that people could not previously perform.

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 02:39:10 AM

Central Banking                           Open Transaction Confederation                          Bitcoin

OT is able to confer properties of a decentralised network ... and Bitcoin is actually a highly "distributed" network (any node to any node), a special case of decentralisation.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: