Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:52:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Holy Grail! I wish I could kiss the author of Bitmessage on his face.  (Read 92687 times)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 09:34:37 PM

Now another question. Is it possible to use OT server as a core server (through API?) with mtGox like interface for customers, until moneychanger is realeased or just for those customers who don't want to download it?
You'd have to write all that code yourself, AFAIK.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitdig

Activity: 208
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 09:52:48 PM

Of course, just need to know that this possible...

Now another question. Is it possible to use OT server as a core server (through API?) with mtGox like interface for customers, until moneychanger is realeased or just for those customers who don't want to download it?

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 10:04:02 PM

There are also some example simple web client wallet projects ... but nothing fully polished yet.

e.g.
https://github.com/stretch/otweb

buzybit

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 10:32:41 PM

well done fellow traveler!
i am amazed by your work!
this is the future!!!
Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:14:52 AM

Wow, how did I miss this?!

Still trying to understand properly it but I think I get the gist. Exciting stuff.
bitdig

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 10:12:27 AM

Is there an estimate when moneychanger will be released to the masses?

There are also some example simple web client wallet projects ... but nothing fully polished yet.

e.g.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 10:19:08 AM

e.g.

Not really, it is dependent upon volunteers and bounty donations ... and to be honest help is pretty thin on the ground with so much money hovering up talent in the crypto space, there are not that many free agents left out there ... for coding, building, packaging, testing ....

bitdig

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 01:18:08 PM

that means that there should be something allowing to commercialize the product, in certain way... so it can be pushed... What about having a small commission in moneychanger? For example, if commission can be set in moneychanger to work on certain (commercial) OT server, than those who would like to run this commercial OT server might be interested to invest into faster development? Am I missing something?

e.g.

Not really, it is dependent upon volunteers and bounty donations ... and to be honest help is pretty thin on the ground with so much money hovering up talent in the crypto space, there are not that many free agents left out there ... for coding, building, packaging, testing ....

bitrider

Activity: 233

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 01:21:45 PM

Good point...
gortonc

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:38:21 PM

Am I correct in understanding that MC is dependent on OT? If so is OT ready for prime time, can anyone set up an OT server?  Where would one start if they wanted to try? What sort of hardware would be required?

Newbie questions, I know, but I need to start somewhere.  Embarrassed  How does a newbie like myself make a positive contribution, or do I just sit and wait.

BTW, I'm nobody's Grandmother, but I am a Grandfather. I would be more than happy to be a usability guinea pig, should someone need one.  Wink
fellowtraveler (OP)

Activity: 440

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:48:55 AM

Am I correct in understanding that MC is dependent on OT? If so is OT ready for prime time, can anyone set up an OT server?  Where would one start if they wanted to try? What sort of hardware would be required?

Newbie questions, I know, but I need to start somewhere.  Embarrassed  How does a newbie like myself make a positive contribution, or do I just sit and wait.

BTW, I'm nobody's Grandmother, but I am a Grandfather. I would be more than happy to be a usability guinea pig, should someone need one.  Wink

I will probably never say that OT is "ready for prime time" since, working in crypto-systems, I am extremely conservative and paranoid.

We've done a lot of testing over the past four years, but I want to do more. We've done some static/dynamic analysis, but I want to do more. We've had the code open-source for years, but I still want to pay experts to audit the code. Monetas is starting on some QA but that will be an ongoing process.

We are just now getting to the point where the Desktop app is usable, and even then we need install programs before normal users can access it. (I've been testing an install of the Mac version, but don't have an install ready yet for Windows/Linux.)

If you want to start playing with it, there's a bit of a learning curve on the server side. The first thing I would do is get a Mac or Linux system and then build OT on it:
http://github.com/Open-Transactions/Open-Transactions

Once you have it built, I would copy the sample data over:

mkdir ~/.ot
cp -R Open-Transactions/sample-data/ot-sample-data/* ~/.ot

Then you can start the server: otserver

Then you can use the command-line client. You can also use the desktop client if you want to build it:
http://github.com/Open-Transactions/Moneychanger

I have a Mac install of that desktop client, and some testers have access to it, though we will make it more accessible to others soon. We still need to make install programs for Windows/Linux but it shouldn't be too hard.

Once you are comfortable using OT with the sample data, the next step would be to create your own server contract. To get started doing that, just erase the sample data and run otserver with no data. It should walk you through the process of setting up your own server (it's no picnic.)

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
stelam

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 09:59:29 PM

Here is Chris Odom aka Fellow Traveler, speaking at Miami Bitcoin conference, some people may find it useful. Enjoy!

Thanks to "Let's Talk Bitcoin!" for great audio.

https://soundcloud.com/mindtomatter/miami-2014-chris-odom-on-1?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheDailyBitcoinShow+%28Let%27s+Talk+Bitcoin%21%29
befuddled

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:47:18 AM

Thanks. Are the slides he was using available anywhere?
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 01:13:50 PM

http://ciyam.org/open/?cmd=view&data=20130606055250338000&ident=M100V137&chksum=a2a9d6d5

It appears that all the funds have been removed and *nothing has happened with this project for months*.

So unless I am led to believe otherwise then I will be closing it off at the end of this week.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
fellowtraveler (OP)

Activity: 440

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:26:27 PM

http://ciyam.org/open/?cmd=view&data=20130606055250338000&ident=M100V137&chksum=a2a9d6d5

It appears that all the funds have been removed and *nothing has happened with this project for months*.

So unless I am led to believe otherwise then I will be closing it off at the end of this week.

Actually this project has been worked on continually, even up until today, as you can see in the commit history:

https://github.com/Open-Transactions/Moneychanger/commits/develop

We have a lot of new features added, and an announcement is overdue. For example, Namecoin and Bitmessage have been integrated. I've been in the middle of a move to Switzerland, and busy with the Bitmessage integration, so I want to get that tested up and make a new video before I post a big update here to this thread.

As for the funds, they are still all there, I just moved them to a separate address out of concern for security. The amount was sitting on my desktop and was making me nervous, so I moved it to a paper wallet.

Pls just leave the project on CIYAM for now, and soon I will get in there and update the CIYAM page. Lots of the sub-bounties can be closed and paid out, and I will slip in new addresses for the bounties that remain, so the funds can be visible again. Lots of progress going on lately!

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 04:16:57 PM

Pls just leave the project on CIYAM for now, and soon I will get in there and update the CIYAM page. Lots of the sub-bounties can be closed and paid out, and I will slip in new addresses for the bounties that remain, so the funds can be visible again. Lots of progress going on lately!

Okay - glad to know things are still progressing fine (just a pity we haven't been able to follow the progress through CIYAM Open).

I will keep the project active.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
juju

Activity: 381

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 05:21:24 PM

Okay - glad to know things are still progressing fine (just a pity we haven't been able to follow the progress through CIYAM Open).

I will keep the project active.

I am following the project on Github, Fellowtraveler and several others are active. I see multiple submissions every single day or at-least a week to the OT Project. Best way I know you can follow the developments of this project.
illymoka

Activity: 133
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 08:19:00 PM

BitMessage is anonymous but NOT secure. Add a layer of crypto to your messages and you may have a chance.
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 09:09:06 PM

BitMessage is anonymous but NOT secure. Add a layer of crypto to your messages and you may have a chance.

It's just starting level of tech that can be improved upon by others. If i understand it correctly, it's wonderful thing that can go really long way in the future and opens up bunch of possibilities.

Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 09:13:18 PM

It's just starting level of tech that can be improved upon by others. If i understand it correctly, it's wonderful thing that can go really long way in the future and opens up bunch of possibilities.

if you crypto all your messages it defeats the whole concept of immortality.  see.  if you encrypt the word of G-d.  things get funny.  like people going to jails for weed.. Sad

i am here.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: