Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:56:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did worldcoin take off, and not, say, royalcoin?  (Read 1471 times)
Punkonjunk (OP)

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

Hey, eat this snail quick

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:14:10 PM

full disclosure: I'm a little pissy I didn't hedge my bets on RYC at all. I mined it for I think 15 days straight? maybe more? and amassed 3000 coins.

I am very frustrated these are worth roughly the same as a bag of old salty dicks.

So I'm curious, what set the two apart?

Is it honestly just the name? Are people that into the transact speed on WDC?

I've switched over to WDC hoping to ride the profit chain for a little while, but of course, I recognize it's probably a dump, anyhow. We shall see, though!

liked my post? LTC to: LYeSMuyDBFufBehK59A9GmMjby6iVw8Kux
Or BTC to: 18YsfMVtqNbrpJuPZaAbifWNYuiUHQZwR8
If there is a wall of text up there, sorry. I can't help it. I'm usually running on about 80oz of coffee a day. If it's complete nonsense, sorry. I haven't had my coffee.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hydroponica

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

fml

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:18:36 PM

full disclosure: I'm a little pissy I didn't hedge my bets on RYC at all. I mined it for I think 15 days straight? maybe more? and amassed 3000 coins.

I am very frustrated these are worth roughly the same as a bag of old salty dicks.

Is it honestly just the name? Are people that into the transact speed on WDC?

I've switched over to WDC hoping to ride the profit chain for a little while, but of course, I recognize it's probably a dump, anyhow. We shall see, though!

Instant transactions. This will appeal greatly to online vendors, making it likely they will adopt it, eventually, giving it real value. RYC, was just 1 of many coins, that brought no inovation. Just a sad carbon copy, with ver minor alterations. Tons of people on the forums said, these coins were going nowhere, and people like you, chose not to listen.

Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:21:39 PM

As an example, I mined YAC, FC2 and WDC. 2 of those brought new inovations, and those 2, made me a fair bit of $$. FC2, well, I mined for a day, and moved from it to WDC

Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:23:57 PM

Also, when network hashrate started to dropped, WDC's diff dropped, very quickly, to compensate

fenican

Activity: 1393
Merit: 505

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:34:15 PM

One key difference I have noticed is that successful coins have buyers ready to set a floor on the value.  This encourages people to mine and creates a virtuous circle.  Developers better be ready to spend 2-5 BTC if they want their coin to be successful rather than pre-mine it and try to dump their coins on a market that won't absorb them.

Also, every successful coin has graphics, pools, artwork, adequate pre-release notice, release on or after specified time, and windows downloads ready to go on day one.
BBQKorv

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:34:54 PM

It will be interesting to see if this ends up like CNC and FTC. Speed is really nice in here but the diff adjustment behaviour is not yet tested hard enough. When the profitability drops below BTC we'll see how the diff adjusting really works.
Aragami

Activity: 79

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:35:40 PM

Also, when network hashrate started to dropped, WDC's diff dropped, very quickly, to compensate

Holy shit guy, stop multi-consecutive posting in multiple threads just to get your post count through the roof. Your posts are not constructive and add no value to any of the threads you've posted in at all, not to mention you can barely construct a sentence to make much sense anymore.

It's absolutely shitting me that there are so many people out there like you that are spamming decent threads full of shit posts. I've refused to use the "ignore" feature for as long as i feel i could, i honestly dont think i can hold back anymore.
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:36:50 PM

It's pretty obvious, 3min per block makes Royalcoin the second slowest coin out there. That's not what people want.

Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 11:38:21 PM

Holy shit guy, stop multi-consecutive posting in multiple threads just to get your post count through the roof. Your posts are not constructive and add no value to any of the threads you've posted in at all, not to mention you can barely construct a sentence to make much sense anymore.

It's absolutely shitting me that there are so many people out there like you that are spamming decent threads full of shit posts. I've refused to use the "ignore" feature for as long as i feel i could, i honestly dont think i can hold back anymore.

Yes this guy is damn annoying.  Check this thread out : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=211041.msg2228579#msg2228579

Maybe he's ramping his post count up like mad so he can release a altcoin or something.

On topic :

I think it has a lot to do with timing, if a lot of miners JUST stop mining a coin because profitablity has dropped to much and a new, promising altcoin launches, it has a good chance at attracing attention.

The second thing, maybe most importantly, is a great and [ANN] thread with a couple of active and positive posters. This raises confidence and boosts a hype.

Thirldly, a new altcoins needs buyers ! When an exchange spreadsheet is full of buyers and sellers, this gets noticed and prices quickly rise. People talk about that, and BOOM ! The coin takes off.

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:38:59 PM

He along with a few others got that privlage from me last night.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
clint25n

Activity: 840

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:39:24 PM

WorldCoin seems to really have potential for a long term hold.
I hear the dev's are working on a thin/mobile wallet as we speak.
Some websites already accepting WDC as payment.
It's all speculation this early, but we shall see, but I put my bet on WDC.
erk

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:45:12 PM

Worldcoin has flaws though, not it's specs, they are fine. The Worldcoin client software is based on Bitcoin which was not designed to store and work with the volume of blocks that Worldcoin generates. The client software needs modifying.
clint25n

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:46:52 PM

Worldcoin has flaws though, the client software is based on Bitcoin which was not designed to store and work with the volume of blocks that Worldcoin generates. The client software needs modifying.

I'm glad the Dev's aren't absent like CNC. That guy was like a ghost.
Can't believe btc-e took it on so quickly.
calecho

Activity: 94

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:53:58 PM

It's pretty obvious, 3min per block makes Royalcoin the second slowest coin out there. That's not what people want.

Which is the first?
Kyune

Activity: 287

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:55:05 PM

Optics.  Worldcoin launched with advance notice/a pretty website/twitter, and all of that gave it a air of gravitas, possibly undeserved, that helped give it buzz and lots of hashing attention.  Royalcoin, if I recall correctly, launched with no forewarning and looked sort of hackneyed together -- it didn't stand out.

Frankly, every coin to launch with advance warning has drawn a lot of attention, but most have botched the launch one way or another -- Worldcoin got through the process pretty smooth.  It stands out as a fairly well managed PR event, by alt-coin standards at least.

Right now, in the sea of alt-coin launches, optics matter.

BTC:  1K4VpdQXQhgmTmq68rbWhybvoRcyNHKyVP
anderl

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 12:10:50 AM

proof?
Aragami

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 12:11:02 AM

I'm glad the Dev's aren't absent like CNC. That guy was like a ghost.
Can't believe btc-e took in on so quickly.

CNC dev's are a mysterious entity, not sure if they even existed in the first place, CNC might have been the result of biological warfare from an unknown area of the universe.

But on a more serious note, if you look at what CNC and WDC had in common, you'd notice the massive network hash rate they both achieved early on. Nonsensical amounts of users hashed out WDC recently as high as 1.6GHash i believe? CNC had a similar effect with a tonne of users throwing massive hash power into the CNC world. The conclusion you can note from this is rather simple - if a new coin has a massive network hash rate then exchanges will notice and most likely adopt the coin (take note of FTC as well).

RYC achieved high hash rates too, but only ranging from 300-500MHash i believe at its peak? Feel free to correct that figure, not 100% sure about it. But what i'm sure about is that WDC peak hash rate > RYC peak hash rate by a large amount.
clint25n

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 12:15:58 AM

proof?

Aragami, I was referring to the first service launched
http://www.igotspots.com/Worldcoin.html
erk

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 12:20:17 AM

Which is the first?

Worldcoin is number one at 15sec and BTC is the slowest at 10min. The only reason BTC is popular is that it was the first crypto coin to take off, so it had years to establish itself without competition, if a coin like BTC was launched today it wouldn't get a look in against the other coins.
Aragami

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 12:21:13 AM

Aragami, I was referring to the first service launched
http://www.igotspots.com/Worldcoin.html

Aragami and Anderl look a bit similar dont they? =)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: