Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:56:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 13 x GPU on 1 x Asus Prime z270-a anyone have 14+ working ?  (Read 820 times)
chilliefly (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 07:05:41 PM

Hey guys I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting 14-16 GPU running on this mobo. 13 works perfectly fine but 14th card makes the computer not post (black screen and keeps rebooting). As soon as I unplug one card works great.

Any help would be appreciated
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zorg33

Activity: 144
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 12:03:49 AM

You probably found the resource allocation limit of the mobo. Nothing much you can do about it without modded MB BIOS.
BTW 13 GPUs is nice achievement. Smiley
OhMyHolyToken

Activity: 98

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 04:38:35 PM

Hey guys I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting 14-16 GPU running on this mobo. 13 works perfectly fine but 14th card makes the computer not post (black screen and keeps rebooting). As soon as I unplug one card works great.

Hi,

How exactly did you plug 13 gpu to this mobo?
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2017, 10:00:14 PM

Hi,

There are devices that allow one to effectively "split" a PCIe slot. For example, there are certain risers that allow you to plug 4 cards into one slot on the motherboard.

I'd personally call it good at 13. If your CPU/motherboard/etc. fails, the hashrate associated with all of your cards on that rig becomes 0 until you fix it. (Too many eggs in one basket, you might say.)

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
vkool

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 11:23:16 PM

are you running windows 10 or Linux? I have problem with 7 card on this mobo (Asus Z270-A). Withi 6 cards work just fine but if I plug in 7 card, it try to recognize or install driver or something ( SSD LED blinking) for while then it go to black screen. Few time I have luck to boot into windows then it freeze. Anyone have any idea how to make the 7 card work on windows?
thanks

My rigs:
Asus Z270-A
Intel G4400
8gb DDR4
120gb SSD
2x 850watts EVGA PSU
7x RX580, 8gb Sapphire Nitro+ (Hynix memory type)
OhMyHolyToken

Activity: 98

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 04:13:48 AM

Hi,

There are devices that allow one to effectively "split" a PCIe slot. For example, there are certain risers that allow you to plug 4 cards into one slot on the motherboard.

I'd personally call it good at 13. If your CPU/motherboard/etc. fails, the hashrate associated with all of your cards on that rig becomes 0 until you fix it. (Too many eggs in one basket, you might say.)
It's interesting. I found 4 to 1 and 3 to 1 on ebay.
3 to 1 is more expensive.

I would like to hear how exactly OP manage to get 13 gpu working on this board.
Pb67

Activity: 35
Merit: 5

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 04:59:58 PM

nobody managed to add more than 13 gpu on this mobo? exist a modded bios to manage more? me too stopped at 13 gtx, added 2 more but not work. Asus with b-250 can manage till 19gpu ; any idea to bypass 13 card limit?
mbunal

Activity: 8

View Profile
February 17, 2022, 04:49:46 AM

i just tried with 14 gpu, no success. but it worked with 13 gpu verywell.
JayDDee

Activity: 1386
Merit: 220

View Profile
February 17, 2022, 06:13:50 AM

It could be due to the reduced number of PCIe lanes on Pentium and Celeron CPUs.
More CPU cores also helps reduce latency with a large number of GPUs to manage.

mbunal

Activity: 8

View Profile
February 17, 2022, 09:58:05 AM

It could be due to the reduced number of PCIe lanes on Pentium and Celeron CPUs.
More CPU cores also helps reduce latency with a large number of GPUs to manage.

i have g4400. it support 16 pcie lines. z270 chipset support 24 pcie lines. so what can be problem? ram? 4 gb i will try with 8 gb(4gbx2). also i can try with i5-6500 but it supoort 16pcie lines too. i dont think it worked.

but i am trying to run 14 gpu. any help would be appreciated...
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1036

View Profile
February 17, 2022, 02:45:01 PM

And I would try another processor from the I5 series, if possible. I have seen cases where more than 8 video cards did not start on Pentium and Celeron. And try to ask this question on the official forum
https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?127-ROG-Discussion

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
February 17, 2022, 02:50:17 PM

And I would try another processor from the I5 series, if possible. I have seen cases where more than 8 video cards did not start on Pentium and Celeron. And try to ask this question on the official forum

A celeron or pentium is enough for more than 8 gpu´s. I have several rigs running with 12 or 13 gpus and a g3900 celeron.
At the moment i planning a rig with over 20 gpu´s just for fun
FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2022, 03:02:37 PM

A celeron or pentium is enough for more than 8 gpu´s. I have several rigs running with 12 or 13 gpus and a g3900 celeron.
At the moment i planning a rig with over 20 gpu´s just for fun
I did not say that celeron or pentium are not suitable for 8 video cards, but I have useful experience. If you have tried all the BIOS settings and various operating systems, then you need to check with more memory and a different processor.
Are you making money or having fun? You understand that failures of video cards on a mining farm will give you a loss of profit.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
JayDDee

View Profile
February 17, 2022, 04:48:34 PM
Merited by FP91G (1)

I did not say that celeron or pentium are not suitable for 8 video cards,

Nobody did. But with only 16 lanes of PCIe available in the system problems can be expected as the number of GPUs
gets close to the limit. Some lanes are assigned to other devices. More lanes means fewer problems. The mobo was designed
to support a full featured Core CPU. It's false economy to go cheap with a CPU to support a dozen or more GPUs.

FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2022, 05:45:06 PM

I did not say that celeron or pentium are not suitable for 8 video cards,

Nobody did. But with only 16 lanes of PCIe available in the system problems can be expected as the number of GPUs
gets close to the limit. Some lanes are assigned to other devices. More lanes means fewer problems. The mobo was designed
to support a full featured Core CPU. It's false economy to go cheap with a CPU to support a dozen or more GPUs.
You speak the right words. I try not to farm more than 8 video cards, so I use the cheapest processors and 4 GB of memory. Hive OS uses a little more than 2GB of memory. I can even mine coins with 3 GB of RAM, but this is a small savings.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
JayDDee

View Profile
February 18, 2022, 07:23:42 PM

You speak the right words. I try not to farm more than 8 video cards,

Thanks. I like 6, with a regular mobo, 1 PSU and a decent CPU. It can easilly be repurposed as a gaming rig,
HTPC or any other desktop.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: