Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 12:05:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple - the most decentralized blockchain?  (Read 717 times)
BenchCoinToken (OP)

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

BenchCoin: A Digital Student Property Enterprise

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2017, 07:32:45 PM

I had another post about Ripple ICO's which has led me to a new question on the validity of Ripple claiming it will be more decentralized than Bitcoin.

"RCL will not just meet, but exceed the decentralization level of other public blockchains" - https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/ripple-unveils-strategy-become-decentralized-bitcoin/

You'd think because of the financial institutions (and their gov't regulations) that it would be hard to say it's decentralized (especially with how many banks on board recently) but it really has to do with the Ripple Consensus Ledger (RCL)/diversification of validator nodes.

In their plan "we will remove one validating node operated by Ripple, until no entity operates a majority of trusted nodes on the RCL" seems pretty straight forward however I have a hard time understanding (or believing) the U.S. would let a U.S. bank do anything where they do not have regulatory control.

Will Ripple really become more decentralized than the other major blockchains?

illinest

Activity: 454
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 07:47:17 PM

In their plan "we will remove one validating node operated by Ripple, until no entity operates a majority of trusted nodes on the RCL" seems pretty straight forward however I have a hard time understanding (or believing) the U.S. would let a U.S. bank do anything where they do not have regulatory control.

Carefully ceding their corporate control over the "trusted" ledger to other "trusted nodes" (operated by who? banks? governments?) is not decentralized at all. This, on its face, shows what a joke Ripple is from the perspective of cryptocurrencies. Everything is about trusted nodes (which are somehow "distributed") and trusted gateways with KYC. It's great from a marketing perspective, to soak up interest in crypto, but decentralized? Roll Eyes
BenchCoinToken (OP)

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

BenchCoin: A Digital Student Property Enterprise

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2017, 10:17:23 PM

Carefully ceding their corporate control over the "trusted" ledger to other "trusted nodes" (operated by who? banks? governments?) is not decentralized at all. This, on its face, shows what a joke Ripple is from the perspective of cryptocurrencies. Everything is about trusted nodes (which are somehow "distributed") and trusted gateways with KYC. It's great from a marketing perspective, to soak up interest in crypto, but decentralized? Roll Eyes

Good point about KYC as well.  I forgot to mention it but KYC is another part of it that screams central regulatory body (me personally I feel KYC=US Govt.)  From the article - "Thomas claimed that Ripple validators are less likely to be malicious or attacked successfully since they are chosen on ‘merit’."

The "chosen on merit" part doesn't seem in line with a decentralized platform but does that mean currently they are centralized but once they get past adding "chosen" validators and removing their own they will be decentralized?

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 03:46:01 AM

.. Wasn't even launched open source.

Ripple is a company.

Need more info?

FUD first & ask questions later™
yonghongtang

Activity: 483
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 03:50:01 AM

I had another post about Ripple ICO's which has led me to a new question on the validity of Ripple claiming it will be more decentralized than Bitcoin.

"RCL will not just meet, but exceed the decentralization level of other public blockchains" - https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/ripple-unveils-strategy-become-decentralized-bitcoin/

You'd think because of the financial institutions (and their gov't regulations) that it would be hard to say it's decentralized (especially with how many banks on board recently) but it really has to do with the Ripple Consensus Ledger (RCL)/diversification of validator nodes.

I was told Ripple is centralized ,  have I been wrong?
n4poleon

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 05:02:58 AM

This the most miss leading information I've seen so far in the blockchain space. Exchanges needs to delist this crap in the name of cryptocurrency. And let banks take it, and let people who wants to buy it, buys over a bank counter.
Chokolo

Activity: 168
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 10:58:27 AM
Last edit: August 27, 2017, 11:12:58 AM by Chokolo

This the most miss leading information I've seen so far in the blockchain space. Exchanges needs to delist this crap in the name of cryptocurrency. And let banks take it, and let people who wants to buy it, buys over a bank counter.

More like this thread is full of misinformation and certain people should be banned in the name of cryptocurrency.

You people dont know what you are talking about.

The irony in your recent 2 posts says it all
XRP = not crypto, not open source, not a blockchain project, centralise, more than 50% of XRP owns by the company.

STRAT = A blockchain project created on C#, a platform you practically build something on it. An actual cryptocurrency when comparing to XRP.

Same thing you learn anything yourself. You already have internet, use it.

Try to follow your own advice and google Ripple and Open source.
Try to google Ripple and blockchain.
 Roll Eyes

You are are so full of fud and hate about something you dont even have the slightest clue of, so you fall in your own traps. Try to be more open minded and educate yourself instead of spreading misinformation.

FYI: Ripple Labs own 6.6 billion XRPs out of 100 billion. The rest is locked down in third party escrows or open for purchase on the open market. Ripple owns 6.6% of the XRPs, not over 50%.

Chokolo

Activity: 168
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 11:10:04 AM

Try reading the article again. And a third time if you still dont understand it.

No company will have a majority of control over Ripple. Thats the whole point. No entity, banks or government or a company, can ever sieze control of the network. That is a possibility with Bitcoin.

Ripple is far more decentralized than Bitcoin yet you somehow twist facts in your head to make it seem like Ripple is the centralized one?
coinfinder000

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

Swipe

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 11:20:23 AM

I don't care it's more decentralized than BTC or not, as a investor, what I care is profit. I found Ripple will give me this. As we can see, XRP is cooperating with more and more banks, this will take me profit. Hold you XRPs,trust me.

▀▀▀▀▀▀     SWIPE  │ Monetizing mobile engagement data, on the blockchain    ▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄▄▄         Whitepaper       Telegram       Twitter       Medium       Reddit          ▄▄▄▄
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 02:57:17 PM

I don't care it's more decentralized than BTC or not, as a investor, what I care is profit. I found Ripple will give me this. As we can see, XRP is cooperating with more and more banks, this will take me profit. Hold you XRPs,trust me.

You are not an investor.
These are suppose to be non profit decentralized open source crypto currencies.
You are not suppose to be supporting companies coming to crypto to start a "for profit" coin BUSINESS.

Ripple inc has a unique distinction.
They are the first and so far only crypto coin / company that was FINED BY FiNCEN.

Comprende fucktards ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
sebastianpenguen

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 02:59:14 PM

Saying ripple is decentralized is a disaster. It's 100% centralized company. Theymos wrote about this on one his threads where he evaluate the altcoins. You can read. They have the supply power and you can't even know if the supply will be stay the same.
Hodor7777

Activity: 615
Merit: 112

It’s easy to confuse what is with what ought to be

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2017, 03:10:22 PM

.. Wasn't even launched open source.

Ripple is a company.

Need more info?

The open-source code for Ripple is here:  https://github.com/ripple/rippled

Yes Ripple is a company.  Yes, we'll probably need more info than that. 

Hodor7777

Activity: 615
Merit: 112

It’s easy to confuse what is with what ought to be

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2017, 03:12:15 PM

Saying ripple is decentralized is a disaster. It's 100% centralized company. Theymos wrote about this on one his threads where he evaluate the altcoins. You can read. They have the supply power and you can't even know if the supply will be stay the same.

Don't let another poster tell you to not think for yourself and trust some other person.  Here is the chief cryptographer from Ripple responding to similar FUD:
https://pastebin.com/pZFB2Lhg

tyuner4

Activity: 322
Merit: 179

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 03:15:01 PM

How can Ripple be decentralized? It is a well known fact that it is fully controlled by Ripple Company.  Huh
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: