Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:44:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie's Guide to Mining 101.  (Read 677 times)
Okiboy (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2017, 09:51:17 PM

Can anyone point me in the right direction?   So far, everything I've read so far is beyond me.

Thx in advance
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
matovicv

Activity: 49

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 10:50:05 PM

Bro if you asked for "Newbie's Guide to Mining 101" last year i would say OK, but this is 2017 peek year for mining. You can find guides all over internet. Try search on this forum or even try to google it and you will get 100000000 pages about it.

Sry for saying this but if you cant figure out how to start mining in august 2017, than you are not for this business.
CaVO32

Activity: 1848
Merit: 158

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 12:30:34 AM

Bro if you asked for "Newbie's Guide to Mining 101" last year i would say OK, but this is 2017 peek year for mining. You can find guides all over internet. Try search on this forum or even try to google it and you will get 100000000 pages about it.

Sry for saying this but if you cant figure out how to start mining in august 2017, than you are not for this business.

i know it sounds unhelpful and slightly brutal,but i do have to agree, learning how to mine cryptos is not hard at all but you do need to figure it out on your own. or go to nicehash.com and use their software and mine away!
btcgolong

Activity: 451
Merit: 269

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 12:59:10 AM

Can anyone point me in the right direction?   So far, everything I've read so far is beyond me.

Thx in advance

Do you want to turn an existing system into a mining rig? Or do you want to build one from scratch?

Do you have a budget / how much do you have to invest ?

Tell us about the current computer system and also what your future plans/dreams (if any) with mining are.

Look the best thing you can do is jump in, the best way to learn is to start; for example, if you have a decent gaming card in your current system, you can download nicehash and start mining tonight (you will need a bitcoin wallet address, many ways to get that)

Ultegra134

Activity: 1554
Merit: 744

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 01:44:34 AM

Do you already have a decent PC? What are you trying to achieve by mining? Mine promising altcoins with your GPU, have them exchanged for Bitcoin? What's your budget? Don't even reply if you ask "Can I mine with my Pentium 4 laptop" This question has been answered plenty of times, many people here can guide you, provided that you provide us with more details.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
IntelligentIdiot

Activity: 486
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 06:11:14 AM

Somebody pointed out to me it is better to join in bounties than trying to mine using an old i3 core laptop. Is that accurate?
Okiboy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2017, 06:31:50 PM

Do you already have a decent PC? What are you trying to achieve by mining? Mine promising altcoins with your GPU, have them exchanged for Bitcoin? What's your budget? Don't even reply if you ask "Can I mine with my Pentium 4 laptop" This question has been answered plenty of times, many people here can guide you, provided that you provide us with more details.

Damn, I guess I'm below entry level.   Embarrassed
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 06:40:23 PM

Somebody pointed out to me it is better to join in bounties than trying to mine using an old i3 core laptop. Is that accurate?

I don't know much about the bounties but sure mining with any kind of laptop , even with the one with the most monstrous parameters will make it burn in less than three months and never achieve anything in mining, whatever is its GPU.

Minimum to mine altcoins is a desktop with a quad core processor if you want to do CPU mining or a normal CPU and at least 2-4 PCIEX1 and 1 X16 PCIE in order to mine Ethereum or other altcoins. A good PSU is needed to handle 2-4 GPU-s at the same time.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 06:42:15 PM

Damn, I guess I'm below entry level.   Embarrassed

Maybe, maybe not. I think it would be helpful if you could at least let us know the system you are currently using. Is it a desktop or tower design with a dedicated GPU? If so you are in good shape to get going with the basics. If you have a laptop it will be a bit harder to get started right away, but we still could give you pointers to get you going. The more information you can provide on what you current have or are planning to buy will allow people to give you the most useful responses.
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 07:36:19 PM

Dont mine with a laptop, the problem is heat dissipation.  To start mining, I always say get a gaming rig, with one good GPU.  Mine with that and reinvest all your profits into mining.  After a few years you'll have a big mine...but it takes patience.  Otherwise people invest large sums of money...even borrowing money  (which I do not recommend).  You can check out my website for basics If you want, and to learn terms and what things mean.
Okiboy (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 04:52:15 PM

I'm not much of a gamer (mainly because I suck).  I have a Dell Optiflex 9020 Small form i5 with 8gb of ram.
killerelite

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 06:48:26 PM

Start from nicehash(really beginner friendly) while learning about other software and exchange and stuff from various guides and fourms later mine the coin u like
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 07:22:40 PM

I'm not much of a gamer (mainly because I suck).  I have a Dell Optiflex 9020 Small form i5 with 8gb of ram.

You will not be doing any kind of mining with a SFF system. The PSU is too weak and there is not space for a video card.

You could do a frankenstein rig by moving the guts to another case or even an open system but you would still need a more powerful PSU to power the strain the CPU/GPUs would endure.

Back in the Bitcoin GPU mining days I used Dell SFF systems and used another PSU and GPU ribbon riser to mine. With the arrival of USB Risers and dedicated mining boards it just makes sense to build a new system unless you already know how to tinker with hardware.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: