Bitcoin Forum
July 09, 2024, 09:38:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. Gox Volume Way Down since Dwolla fiasco.  (Read 1353 times)
Swapster (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 01:39:42 AM

Haven't analyzed it enough, but just from what I see it seems like daily volumes pre-Dwolla fiasco were up near the 100k range, and now that traders can't fund/withdraw with Dwolla, the volume has dropped way down below 20k. Quite a financial hit.

It does make you realize that if all the banks decide to pull the rug out from under the Bitcoin movement - they could. We do not live in a free world IMO.
Swapster (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 01:57:44 AM

Which means....

I can no longer send Dwolla to CampBx, Buy BTC low, withdraw BTC to Wallet, send BTC to MtGox, Sell BTC at MtGox with a spread, withdraw to Dwolla, rinse and repeat Smiley

This is one of the bad points of the BTC Exchanges - there is no NBBO/routing to exchange with the best price.
vtropolis

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 02:14:46 AM

There needs to be more competition in this sector. Mt. Gox needs to represent a smaller market share.
MikeT

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 02:45:30 AM

Might be interesting to check the numbers
rich90usa

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 03:29:20 AM

I wouldn't worry too much. From attending some bitcoin meetups and conferences recently it seems that many people are working on their own exchanges. Give it some time and there will be plenty of competitors.
mrtchipr

Activity: 58

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:57:48 AM

Which means....

I can no longer send Dwolla to CampBx, Buy BTC low, withdraw BTC to Wallet, send BTC to MtGox, Sell BTC at MtGox with a spread, withdraw to Dwolla, rinse and repeat Smiley

This is one of the bad points of the BTC Exchanges - there is no NBBO/routing to exchange with the best price.

Hahaha, I was JUST thinking about this yesterday and even made myself a nice spreadsheet to calculate prices automatically via google doc.

I had to do about 8btc to make significant profit.
How much were you doing?
Swapster (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 07:38:19 AM

Which means....

Hahaha, I was JUST thinking about this yesterday and even made myself a nice spreadsheet to calculate prices automatically via google doc.

I had to do about 8btc to make significant profit.
How much were you doing?

Missed the boat.... was noticing the big price difference between the two exchanges. I would think 100 BTC in play would make it worth it. And if the market suddenly dropped and you were caught holding BTC... no biggie... it will likely comeback. I think BTC is was under valued right now.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 09:17:42 AM

Honestly, I think this is good news.

I've got nothing in particular against Mt.Gox, and as a citizen of Euro-land I couldn't give a rat's ass about this whole Dwolla thing. To this very day it still confuses me why Americans (unlike the rest of the world) always have such problems with normal wire transfers, and need bizarre workarounds like Dwolla, or ridiculous alternatives like friggin' money cheques (seriously, WTF!?)

But it's really good for the Bitcoin ecosystem if there is more diversity and competition. Mt.Gox still has too much market influence, and is still somewhat of a "single point of failure" in terms of exchanging Fiat vs Bitcoin.

Anyway, let's hope an OpenTransaction+BitMessage based P2P exchange system will see the light of day soon, so we're done with these centralized exchanges for good. No more government intervention whatsoever Smiley

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
babybonobo

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

#hardworkpaysoff

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 09:19:43 AM

I know that I moved my funds out of MTGOX because of this Dwolla situation, and I know that many others have done the same.  New bitcoin exchanges are popping up and the time is ripe for competition.  I see others investing their bitcoins in bitcoin services (mining hardware companies for example) and I think that this trend will continue.  Just a little calm before the storm IMO.  Summer will heat up, new services and ideas will arise...volume will rise IMO.
WuLabsWuTecH

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 11:07:56 AM

Honestly, I think this is good news.

I've got nothing in particular against Mt.Gox, and as a citizen of Euro-land I couldn't give a rat's ass about this whole Dwolla thing. To this very day it still confuses me why Americans (unlike the rest of the world) always have such problems with normal wire transfers, and need bizarre workarounds like Dwolla, or ridiculous alternatives like friggin' money cheques (seriously, WTF!?)

But it's really good for the Bitcoin ecosystem if there is more diversity and competition. Mt.Gox still has too much market influence, and is still somewhat of a "single point of failure" in terms of exchanging Fiat vs Bitcoin.

Anyway, let's hope an OpenTransaction+BitMessage based P2P exchange system will see the light of day soon, so we're done with these centralized exchanges for good. No more government intervention whatsoever Smiley

It's because of the archaic banking practices of the US banking system.. Initiating a transfer between banks takes FOREVER.  The ACH system we have is very broken, but because it's widespread, no one complains about it.  Dwolla to US Bank Account takes about 3-5 days, but since banks don't work on the weekends, and only clear things until 2PM, basically you can only transact stuff on M-TH and things only clear on T-F.  Heck, even depositing a check (or cheque for you Europeans) to my bank takes a full 24 hours before I can get the first $25 out.  Once again, because it's widespread, only those of us who have spent any time outside of the country know that it could be a lot better.

The issue is interoperability, for a transfer within a bank, seconds at most and things are cleared.  For this reason, a lot of Americans (like me) open a bank account with the bank our employers banks at (more when paper checks are issued, less now that direct deposit is an option(.  That way, when paychecks are issued on Friday, I can take it to the bank after work, and immediately have the funds available in my account if I want to use that money that weekend.  We have an option here to "deposit a check as cash" if it's drawn on the same bank.  The teller cashes the check immediately (with no fee that check cashing places charge) and then deposits the money into my account with 100% availability.  Often, I'll immediately withdraw the full amount of the check and walk over to my real bank next door (with much better interest rates) and deposit the money there.  The alternative is to deposit a check into your real bank account, and then it takes up to 7 business days (or the second Tuesday after you deposit the money) for the funds to be available in the account.

Confused yet?  So are we.
bvt

Activity: 23

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 11:09:31 AM

dont worry, it will be fine once mtgox sort out their problems.
WuLabsWuTecH

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 11:24:29 AM

well i think mtgox will stabilize, but hopefully they will lose some of their market share--it will make BTC too volatile otherwise.

I, for one, am glad I did not ever get to trade on mtgox as I probably would have stayed.  Fortunately, their 2week+ verification period and their 1 week + dwolla account verification period pissed me off and I took my BTC elsewhere!
zokos

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 11:39:43 AM

MT.gox can work without dwolla it doesnt effect them that much.
bvt

Activity: 23

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 11:40:51 AM

MT.gox can work without dwolla it doesnt effect them that much.

Yes, and they will probably sort out licensing in the US somehow.
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 11:51:31 AM

mtgox have removed their dwolla announcement from their facebook page.
WuLabsWuTecH

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 01:06:14 PM

mtgox have removed their dwolla announcement from their facebook page.

Is there a quote of it anywhere?  I never saw it, but i'm interested to hear what they had to say.
Kookaburra

Activity: 11

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 02:00:00 PM

Did they announce anything except the "We did read on the internet" thing?
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 02:28:08 PM

I referred to that "read on the internet". It was on their fb, now it appears they deleted it.
negerkolle

Activity: 59

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 02:53:04 PM

What BTC needs is some big global solid exchange. Crazy none have popped up, cause they would make so much money that theyd be able to put themselves on layaway after about a year.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 02:54:29 PM

What BTC needs is some big global solid exchange. Crazy none have popped up, cause they would make so much money that theyd be able to put themselves on layaway after about a year.

No BTC needs a lot of smaller exchanges in competition which makes them solid.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: