Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:53:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we start to use "troll" correctly?  (Read 2253 times)
fascistmuffin (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 09:54:01 PM

Seriously people, a troll is not someone who has a different opinion that yours. Read up on it if you have to on Wikipedia.

How many times will I have to see this scenario repeated again and again:*
Some poster: X card will be less profitable in the future
Troll dyslexia poster: All card will be less profitable you troll

Or

Some poster: You should think about X
Troll dyslexia poster: No, troll, I disagree.

*(Note: examples are subjected to extreme paraphrasing. See back for details)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tehcodez

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:04:22 PM

Seriously people, a troll is not someone who has a different opinion that yours. Read up on it if you have to on Wikipedia.

How many times will I have to see this scenario repeated again and again:*

Or

Some poster: You should think about X
Troll dyslexia poster: No, troll, I disagree.

*(Note: examples are subjected to extreme paraphrasing. See back for details)

Maybe, troll, but other trolls can inflame with nonsense opinion, obviously derived from smoke and/or mirrors. Why was troll posting about X card, when basic knowledge/search/reading/comprehension shows X is in the subset of all?

Meta-troll: What?!? He said troll to "X card" and I didn't get 2 replies! Scoff! I'll show them! Wikipedia troll reference-pow!
fascistmuffin (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:22:55 PM

Maybe, troll, but other trolls can inflame with nonsense opinion, obviously derived from smoke and/or mirrors. Why was troll posting about X card, when basic knowledge/search/reading/comprehension shows X is in the subset of all?

Meta-troll: What?!? He said troll to "X card" and I didn't get 2 replies! Scoff! I'll show them! Wikipedia troll reference-pow!

You're the first one to call me a troll on these forums; this issue has nothing to do with any potential offense taken by me. I was just trying to inform people on the correct use of a word. Wouldn't a carpenter correct someone who is pointing at a lathe and calling it a planer?
Grant

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:31:54 PM

A troll is someone who isn't fully bullish on bitcoin! Wink
Earthlite Organics

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 02:44:36 AM

Trollology, or the science of trolling, is a long established field, going back to the Boston Tea Party of the American revolution, where white guys dumped some rich dudes tea out into the harbor dressed as Native Americans.

1776 Troll'd

I also think that it is fully possible for there to be hired trolls on this forum.

This is an ideological threat to many of the people in power, not so much economic in the present time.

There are Internet Reputation Management Firms that are hired to influence opinion a certain way on the web.

No joke.
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 09:36:59 PM

I was just trying to inform people on the correct use of a word.

There's no such thing as "correct" use of a word. There is only standard and nonstandard.
newunit16

Activity: 133
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 08:54:57 AM

I think everyone would agree the use of the word "Troll" is getting rather ridiculous on this forum.

I'm gonna go around saying "Troll" to everyone else who says "Troll" to people who are obviously not trolling.
Shortline

Activity: 123

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 11:40:36 PM

Using the word troll incorrectly is an obvious troll. It is a art, after all.
im3w1l

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 08:36:42 PM

I also think that it is fully possible for there to be hired trolls on this forum.

This is an ideological threat to many of the people in power, not so much economic in the present time.

There are Internet Reputation Management Firms that are hired to influence opinion a certain way on the web.

No joke.

Fakeman

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 05:46:05 PM

In answer to the thread title, my guess is "No." But on a related note, it sure might be handy to have an ignore function on this forum.

16wEsax3GGvJmjiXCMQUWeHdgyDG5DXa2W
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2011, 10:23:29 AM
Last edit: July 20, 2011, 12:48:18 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

I think everyone would agree the use of the word "Troll" is getting rather ridiculous on this forum.

I'm gonna go around saying "Troll" to everyone else who says "Troll" to people who are obviously not trolling.

Ridiculous, or not, if we can't even come to an agreement on what a Troll is, how are we, as a community, able to debate important Bitcoin matters?

Can we all at least agree that this is how Trolls reproduce?

onesalt

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 03:18:44 PM

If you post an opinion that someone doesn't agree with they don't post a critical response on why you're wrong or why their argument is right (which is the standard debating system you realise) they instead just say "nope you're trolling" and ignore it. This is pretty much why the bitcoin forum was disowned by the devs because it just makes the forum look like a load of right wing anarchist lunatics, which they don't really want associated with bitcoin in such an obvious way.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: