Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:19:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: coinchoose authors - please correct the data for PWC  (Read 1262 times)
fenican (OP)

Activity: 1394
Merit: 505

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:25:35 AM

1.  The actual difficulty is 0.34835140 not 0.08708762.

2.  The last trade was 0.00001501 not .00002.  There was never significant volume traded at .00002.

Is the PWC developer the guy who wrote coinchoose?  This is just silly.  I feel badly for anyone running a python script that auto-chooses what to mine based on that site
TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:29:23 AM

It's not the first time coinchoose 'favors' a coin. For bitbar it has for days shown arbitrary and far too high sale prices.
chondrite

Activity: 237

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:30:36 AM

I believe he updates difficulties manually.  LTC difficulty was wrong after the last shift for a good 10-12 hours.  Someone on the forums actually pointed it out to them.
fenican (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:31:24 AM

Looks like there is now a volume buy order at .00002 so at least that part is OK
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:32:05 AM

I know nothing about the site in question, but common sense would tell you that a there is foul play for any website purporting to provide information on something mathematically verifiable, that when independently verified doesn't match, unless a major site error or updating is done manually (ridiculous notion).

EDIT: Okay, so they manually update something that is automatically provided as a service for others to automatically update from.  Roll Eyes

fenican (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:36:29 AM

This is remarkable coinchoose and cryptsy, a near zero volume exchange, are bringing PWC back to life.

Owners of "dead" coins take note.  Don't delete those wallets!  Miners will CUT IN LINE to put hundreds of mh/s on dead coins if a manually updated site shows it to be super profitable

The potential for manipulation is mind boggling
sal002

Activity: 490

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 01:34:43 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2013, 09:43:04 PM by sal002

Hello,

To clear up a few misconceptions:

1.  The PWC issue was caused by a crashing Powercoin client and a typo in a script I wrote to restart Powercoin if it went down.  Both are fixed and the difficulty should now be right.

2.  All profitability is based on automatically updating numbers from the exchanges (updated every 30 seconds).  The percentages you see are based on currently open orders at the bter.com, mcxnow, btc-e.com, Vircurex and now cryptsy.com exchanges.  These updates are auotmatic and if a coin does not have an open order in the immediate 5 minutes, it is dropped from the chart.

3.  I don't use the last trade but the currently open trades.

4.  Difficulties are updated automatically and once per minute.  I get the numbers from either public blockexplorers, or where the reliability of those blockexplorers is suspect or the data isn't available that I need, a local coin client that feeds into a data directory.  

5.  The LTC issue was caused by a memory issue on the system that started shutting down processes - this was remedied (and the scripts I wrote to watch the client should also address the issue going forward).  I was relying on monit to do the watching for me, but it just was failing.

6.  The math is verifiable based on the chart (all variables used in the profitability calc are shown there), but if a variable is wrong, the result is wrong.  Here PWC's difficulty was not updating.

Besides kicking myself for the watch dog script, I am also adding code to auto-remove a coin if, for some reason, the difficulty / blocks are not getting updated.  I don't want a repeat of what happened to PWC.  However, even with the fixes, the PWC profitability was still over 100% - so if someone DID rely on the data to mine (assuming they could even find a working pool), they still made out better than mining BTC alone.  Though I am doing all I can to make sure this doesn't happen again.  Also, I have no connection to PWC, except NWO did message me once he saw I started adding Cryptsy to my site to inquire if I could add PWC.  In full disclosure, I have only gotten a  few donations for my work (the last one being for adding CHNCoin), and my site relies mostly on referral fees from Vircurex and BTER (plus Anonymous Ads).
NWO

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 02:03:25 PM

This is remarkable coinchoose and cryptsy, a near zero volume exchange, are bringing PWC back to life.

Owners of "dead" coins take note.  Don't delete those wallets!  Miners will CUT IN LINE to put hundreds of mh/s on dead coins if a manually updated site shows it to be super profitable

We didn't get brought back to life. There is a full-time team behind PWC working on exchange submissions, infrastructure, advertising and a full blown ecosystem to spend your PWC. Further announcements are incoming about all of the above.

The issue has been fixed and I think sal002 did a very good job explaining the situation.
Quartx

Activity: 1036
Merit: 504

Becoming legend, but I took merit to the knee :(

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 02:09:00 PM

We didn't get brought back to life. There is a full-time team behind PWC working on exchange submissions, infrastructure, advertising and a full blown ecosystem to spend your PWC. Further announcements are incoming about all of the above.

The issue has been fixed and I think sal002 did a very good job explaining the situation.

By the time it can be used a power blackout has already begun

Hydroponica

Activity: 182

fml

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 02:20:18 PM

Wait, what? You mean PWC isn't actually 1500% profitable?

NWO, you aren't fooling anyone with more of your lies. you haven't made any posts in a week, and you all of a sudden appear, to exploit an obvious bug.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 02:29:50 PM

Just checked the site out for the first time ever. If it actually works and reports accurately, this is awesome and a much needed equalizer to stabilize things.

sal002

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 09:44:57 PM

It's not the first time coinchoose 'favors' a coin. For bitbar it has for days shown arbitrary and far too high sale prices.

What prices?  Mine are based on open trades, but perhaps the exchanges are not reporting accurate numbers?
datguyian

Activity: 840
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 09:51:39 PM

Hello,

To clear up a few misconceptions:

1.  The PWC issue was caused by a crashing Powercoin client and a typo in a script I wrote to restart Powercoin if it went down.  Both are fixed and the difficulty should now be right.

2.  All profitability is based on automatically updating numbers from the exchanges (updated every 30 seconds).  The percentages you see are based on currently open orders at the bter.com, mcxnow, btc-e.com, Vircurex and now cryptsy.com exchanges.  These updates are auotmatic and if a coin does not have an open order in the immediate 5 minutes, it is dropped from the chart.

3.  I don't use the last trade but the currently open trades.

4.  Difficulties are updated automatically and once per minute.  I get the numbers from either public blockexplorers, or where the reliability of those blockexplorers is suspect or the data isn't available that I need, a local coin client that feeds into a data directory.  

5.  The LTC issue was caused by a memory issue on the system that started shutting down processes - this was remedied (and the scripts I wrote to watch the client should also address the issue going forward).  I was relying on monit to do the watching for me, but it just was failing.

6.  The math is verifiable based on the chart (all variables used in the profitability calc are shown there), but if a variable is wrong, the result is wrong.  Here PWC's difficulty was not updating.

Besides kicking myself for the watch dog script, I am also adding code to auto-remove a coin if, for some reason, the difficulty / blocks are not getting updated.  I don't want a repeat of what happened to PWC.  However, even with the fixes, the PWC profitability was still over 100% - so if someone DID rely on the data to mine (assuming they could even find a working pool), they still made out better than mining BTC alone.  Though I am doing all I can to make sure this doesn't happen again.  Also, I have no connection to PWC, except NWO did message me once he saw I started adding Cryptsy to my site to inquire if I could add PWC.  In full disclosure, I have only gotten a  few donations for my work (the last one being for adding CHNCoin), and my site relies mostly on referral fees from Vircurex and BTER (plus Anonymous Ads).

Sal, I appreciate the work you put into the site and use it quite often. I do, as any responsible miner should, research stats on my own before switching my mining rigs over to another alt chain, so the few minor bugs you have experienced have not been a big deal for me... just wanted to say thanks, as it seems there are plenty out there that would rather bash your FREE service as oppose to showing any kind of gratitude!

To all of the complainers: Maybe you could make a better website and STFU?

It's respectable to point out bugs and provide constructive feedback, but I have yet to understand how anyone thinks that spreading BS rumors about a developer or whining is going to accomplish anything.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ▄▄██████████████▄
     █████████████████████▄
   █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀▀       ▀▀██████▄
 █████████               █████
▐███████▌                 ▀███▌
████████                   ████
▐██████▌                   ▐██▌
 ███████                   ███
  ███████                 ███
   ▀██████▄             ▄██▀
     ▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
        ▀▀███████████▀▀

▄▄▄             ▄▄▄           ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▄▄▄                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄          ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
 ███             ███           ███   ███████▄      ███        ████████      ███                   ████████       ██████▄       ███   ███████████████▄
 ███             ███           ███   ███ ▀████     ███       ███▀  ▀███     ███                  ███▀  ▀███      ███ ▀███▄     ███   ███         ▀███
 ███             ███           ███   ███   ▀███▄   ███      ███▀    ▀███    ███                 ███▀    ▀███     ███   ████    ███   ███          ███
 ███             ███           ███   ███     ▀███▄ ███     ████▄▄▄▄▄▄████   ███                ████▄▄▄▄▄▄████    ███    ▀███▄  ███   ███          ███
 ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███   ███       ███████    ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   ███      ▀███▄███   ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
  ▀████████████▌  ▀█████████████▀    ███        ▀▀████   ███▀          ▀███  ▀█████████████  ███▀          ▀███  ███        ▀▀████   █████████████▀▀
                     ▄▄███████
                 ▄████████████
              ▄██████▀▀▀██████
       ▄▄   ▄███████     ████
   ▄▄███▀  ██████████▄▄▄████▀
 ▄████▀▀  █████████████████
         ████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
          ▀█████████▀
     ▄█▀    ▀██▀▀   ▄▄
    ██  ▄█▀      ▄███▌
   █████▀        ███▀
   ▀▀▀          ███▀
                ▀     

▄█████████  ███       ██▄      ▄██         █████       ████▌   ▄██████████   
 ██▌          ███        ▀██▄  ▄██▀          ██▌███     ██▀██▌  ▐██           
 ███████████  ███          ▀████▀            ██▌ ███   ██▀ ██▌  ▐███████████   
 ██▌          ███▄          ▐██▌             ██▌  ███ ██▀  ██▌  ▐██           
 ██▌           ▀█████████   ▐██▌             ██▌   ▀███▀   ██▌   ▀██████████

█████████████▌  ▄███████████▄         █████████████▌  ██▌      ▐██    ▄██████████         █████       █████    ▄██████████▄     ▄██████████▄   ▐████▄     ▐██ 
      ▐██       ▐██▀       ▀██▌             ▐██        ██▌      ▐██   ▐██                  ██▌███     ███▐██   ▐██▀      ▀██▌   ▐██▀      ▀██▌  ▐██▀███    ▐██ 
      ▐██       ▐██         ██▌             ▐██        ████████████   ▐███████████         ██▌ ███   ███ ▐██   ▐██        ██▌   ▐██        ██▌  ▐██  ▀██▄  ▐██ 
      ▐██       ▐██▄       ▄██▌             ▐██        ██▌      ▐██   ▐█▌                  ██▌  ███ ███  ▐██   ▐██▄      ▄██▌   ▐██▄      ▄██▌  ▐██    ▀██▄▐██ 
      ▐██        ▀███████████▀              ▐██        ██▌      ▐██    ▀██████████         ██▌   ▀███▀   ▐██    ▀██████████▀     ▀██████████▀   ▐██      ▀████ 
  (
BUY LLN
)Twitter
Facebook
Telegram
sal002

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 10:26:27 PM

Sal, I appreciate the work you put into the site and use it quite often. I do, as any responsible miner should, research stats on my own before switching my mining rigs over to another alt chain, so the few minor bugs you have experienced have not been a big deal for me... just wanted to say thanks, as it seems there are plenty out there that would rather bash your FREE service as oppose to showing any kind of gratitude!

To all of the complainers: Maybe you could make a better website and STFU?

It's respectable to point out bugs and provide constructive feedback, but I have yet to understand how anyone thinks that spreading BS rumors about a developer or whining is going to accomplish anything.

Thank you for the kind words and agree that coinchoose should be just one tool to decide which coin to mine.  I welcome constructive criticism and bug reports as I am constantly trying to make the site better.  As an aside, if I had to manually update the difficulty, TRC would make me update like every minute!  I should have my coder card taken away if that was the case...
Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 10:28:15 PM

Should probably have a looksy at RYC...

sal002

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 10:34:24 PM

Is the difficulty out of whack for it?
Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 10:36:52 PM

No idea, but it jumped from 40% to 200+, and, that just doesn't seem possible...

sal002

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 10:39:20 PM

No idea, but it jumped from 40% to 200+, and, that just doesn't seem possible...

Looks like a great price increase at Cryptsy is driving it. 
gnomicide

Activity: 122

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 10:46:15 PM

Looks like a great price increase at Cryptsy is driving it. 

The low volume on Cryptsy makes it easy for someone to manipulate the price.
sal002

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 01:38:03 AM

I filter out incredible low orders AND hopefully people are also snatching those up as my site also has a use as far as telling where the best exchanges are at any second.  Seems the orders placed to inflate quickly disappear.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: