Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 05:03:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone please explain to me what ripple is and why I should care about it?  (Read 1420 times)
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 09:21:45 AM

But bitcoin is a currency and ripple is mainly an exchange system. This is like when reporters call mt gox hacks, bitcoin hacks.
The key issues are Ripple is an IOU debt system, not just an exchange system,  the nodes are privately owned for profit, and the Ripple network is centralized with a transaction reversal capability. All these things fly in the face of the primary Bitcoin design decisions. Anyone who doubts this should read Satoshi Nakamiri's white paper on Bitcoin which can be found here http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf the opening paragraphs says it all.

Abstract.
A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online
payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a
financial institution. Digital signatures provide part of the solution, but the main
benefits are lost if a trusted third party is still required to prevent double-spending.
We propose a solution to the double-spending problem using a peer-to-peer network.
The network timestamps transactions by hashing them into an ongoing chain of
hash-based proof-of-work, forming a record that cannot be changed without redoing
the proof-of-work. The longest chain not only serves as proof of the sequence of
events witnessed, but proof that it came from the largest pool of CPU power. As
long as a majority of CPU power is controlled by nodes that are not cooperating to
attack the network, they'll generate the longest chain and outpace attackers. The
network itself requires minimal structure. Messages are broadcast on a best effort
basis, and nodes can leave and rejoin the network at will, accepting the longest
proof-of-work chain as proof of what happened while they were gone.

Lets talk about OpenCoin's ethics. It's a deliberate ploy, on a naive public, to use a name like OpenCoin for a closed proprietary debt network, and try to talk about it in the same sentence as Bitcoin.  Using underhand tactics such as paid infiltrators from OpenCoin to forums, conferences and other social media, makes me think they might also be behind some of the recent DDoS attacks on Bitcoin nodes and exchanges, plus some of the bot driven trade manipulations to try and keep down the price of BTC.

webr3

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 09:30:50 AM

But bitcoin is a currency and ripple is mainly an exchange system. This is like when reporters call mt gox hacks, bitcoin hacks.
The key issues are Ripple is an IOU debt system, not just an exchange system,  the nodes are privately owned for profit, and the Ripple network is centralized with a transaction reversal capability. All these things fly in the face of the primary Bitcoin design.

You can run a free not for profit node if you want to. Just ask for the source and do it. The network isn't centralized, hence why it has nodes... Transactions can't be reverse, the ledger is public and verifiable.

Lets talk about OpenCoin's ethics. It's a deliberate ploy on a naive public to use a name like OpenCoin and try to talk about it in the same sentence as Bitcoin.  Using underhand tactics such as paid infiltrators from OpenCoin to forums, conferences and other social media, makes me thing they might also be behind some of the recent DDoS attacks on Bitcoin nodes and exchanges, plus some of the bot driven price manipulations  to keep down the price of BTC.

Ripple has been around since mid 2010. They are bitcoiners, Jed created MtGox and Ripple. They hold Bitcoin themselves. They wouldn't be capable of DDoSing or manipulating the price of BitCoin, and it would be adverse to them even if they could.

I've never seen heard or met one paid infiltrator, name one.
Jaseph

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 09:41:13 AM

The thing I love about ripple is the more you know about it, the more repulsive it becomes. More people understanding it for what it is and all the flaws in its system, the faster its demise.
kneim
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:19:18 PM

On Ripple dense fair-mindet people meets scammers. The scammers are operating gateways and will behave like gentlemen for some time, the stupid participants will loose their values, they will pay them back to their trusted friends. Because this all is not regulated the participants will not see one cent of their money. If JoelKatz says you could go to a court, this is not true, because it shall be decentralised in the end. It's obvious to me, this can not work. I see some people here discussing pro Ripple, that also discussed pro Pirateat40 a year ago. Good luck.

For the undecided of you think of being a very rich person, like Warren Buffet, or Dagobert Duck. Would they decide to put their assets into the Ripple system? They own real assets, like shares, gold, Bitcoins, but never derivatives in the long run.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: