Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:51:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a mining rig - Need urgent help - Im new to this  (Read 583 times)
ninjagod (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 06:10:05 PM

Ok so I'm new to this (just to clarify).

Just to catch you up to speed with where I'm at and what I did today.

Today I bought:

Hardrive
Intel i3 processor (2011 version)
Evga power supply
PCI express network adapter
8 GB ram
All the necessary wires to connect stuff together

I still have to buy:

A motherboard
Graphics card

Questions I NEED answered:   Pleasseeee help me (I am no computer genius)

What motherboard should I get?
Is my intel proccessor powerful enough?
What graphics card should I get?

Budget = £1500/$1935

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dr_Thrax

Activity: 40
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 06:14:41 PM

If you say how much money you have to spend, it could help to say the options.
ninjagod (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 06:17:10 PM

If you say how much money you have to spend, it could help to say the options.

My budget is £1500 / $1935
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 06:36:52 PM

Ok so I'm new to this (just to clarify).

Just to catch you up to speed with where I'm at and what I did today.

Today I bought:

Hardrive
Intel i3 processor (2011 version)
Evga power supply
PCI express network adapter
8 GB ram
All the necessary wires to connect stuff together

I still have to buy:

A motherboard
Graphics card

Questions I NEED answered:   Pleasseeee help me (I am no computer genius)

What motherboard should I get?
Is my intel proccessor powerful enough?
What graphics card should I get?

Budget = £1500/$1935

you've already fucked up and spent money on parts that aren't necessary, to be honest there is more than enough information for you to find here on the forum, the fact your here posting asking for help shows you HAVE NOT done shit for research and want information handed to you on a silver platter, doesn't take a computer genius to get into this. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING, tired of all you lazy ass noobs that don't wanna do research. end rant, nuff said

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
nu1mlock

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 06:45:50 PM

Exactly which wires gave you bought that isn't included in the rest of the parts? And why did you buy a separate network card?
GaryH

Activity: 214

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 06:47:45 PM

These days it can be hard to find video cards.  So you will either find AMD or NVidia cards to buy.  Depending on what brand of card you buy you will be mining various coins specific to the brand.

I found it easier to find someone whom already built the rig and spec'd the motherboard, etc so I could not deal with headaches.

One channel I suggest you watch is on youtube, BitsBeTrippin:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA_sH4q2toU

-- he has a lot of various rigs he's built and he'll walk you through the bios mods etc...
ninjagod (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 06:49:06 PM

Exactly which wires gave you bought that isn't included in the rest of the parts? And why did you buy a separate network card?

SATA right angled data cable
6 ppin pcl-e to 4-pin power adapter

I assumed I would need a network card to connect to the internet (was that wrong?)
CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 06:51:17 PM

These days it can be hard to find video cards.  So you will either find AMD or NVidia cards to buy.  Depending on what brand of card you buy you will be mining various coins specific to the brand.

I found it easier to find someone whom already built the rig and spec'd the motherboard, etc so I could not deal with headaches.

One channel I suggest you watch is on youtube, BitsBeTrippin:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA_sH4q2toU

-- he has a lot of various rigs he's built and he'll walk you through the bios mods etc...
no its not that hard to find gpus. theres lots out there to buy, just depends on the price you are willing to pay. please stop handing out crap information @garyH

I just picked up 5 rx 580 8gb's for 309.99 from newegg. if it was sooooo hard finding gpus I WOULDNT HAVE just been able to pick some up now would I, expecially from somewhere like newegg

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
ninjagod (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 06:52:47 PM

no its not that hard to find gpus. theres lots out there to buy, just depends on the price you are willing to pay. please stop handing out crap information @garyH

I just picked up 5 rx 580 8gb's for 309.99 from newegg. if it was sooooo hard finding gpus I WOULDNT HAVE just been able to pick some up now would I, expecially from somewhere like newegg

You're being very negative. I understand your criticism but, could we please keep this thread purely educational. I intended to create this so that it could help other newbies as well.
CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 06:52:53 PM

SATA right angled data cable
6 ppin pcl-e to 4-pin power adapter

I assumed I would need a network card to connect to the internet (was that wrong?)

this is the kinda thing that's indicative of someone who didn't do there danm research. IF YOU DID YOU WOULD HAVE FOUND OUT it was a pure and utter waste of money buying a separate network card.

CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 06:54:01 PM

You're being very negative. I understand your criticism but, could we please keep this thread purely educational. I intended to create this so that it could help other newbies as well.

ohhhhh sooo more people like you can go around asking the same kinda crap that we see almost every single day being posted already, good job.........giving the noobs there information on a silver platter. ya know people wouldn't be so negative if yall wernt so danm lazy, its really simple

GaryH

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 06:55:03 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2017, 07:09:08 PM by GaryH

Glad newegg got some AMDs in.  I've bought some Nvidia's from Amazon over the last few months, but the prices are crazy.  

Watch that Bits Be Trippin youtube channel, you'll learn a lot and they show how to build an open air rig using aluminum you can pick up at Home Depot/Lowes...  Replicate one of their systems and do what they show.
ninjagod (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 07:16:17 PM

Glad newegg got some AMDs in.  I've bought some Nvidia's from Amazon over the last few months, but the prices are crazy.  

Watch that Bits Be Trippin youtube channel, you'll learn a lot and they show how to build an open air rig using aluminum you can pick up at Home Depot/Lowes...  Replicate one of their systems and do what they show.

Thanks, Im thinking of a geforce 1070. is this any good?
GaryH

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 07:18:59 PM

Watch that Bits Be Trippin youtube channel, you'll learn a lot and they show how to build an open air rig using aluminum you can pick up at Home Depot/Lowes...  Replicate one of their systems and do what they show.

Thanks, Im thinking of a geforce 1070. is this any good?

I have a 5 x 1070 rig running.  Does great for Equihash coins like ZEC, ZEN, ZClassic, Hush, Komodo.  Using MSI Afterburner to OC and get @ 450 to 470 Sol/S for each card.  Pulls 750 watts at the wall.  Using EWBF miner.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2017, 07:32:09 PM

You will need a motherboard that is compatible with your current CPU and the RAM that you specified (DDR3, I'm assuming?).

Unfortunately, there are likely no dedicated mining motherboards available for that line of processors, so if you're adamant about making use of that processor, you'd need to search more on your own for one that has many PCIe slots.

To a certain extent, your CPU performance isn't a huge deal. Any relatively recent Pentium or Celeron can usually do the job, so your old i3 should be fine. (With systems with very high numbers of GPUs, CPU/chipset limitations with PCIe lanes can become a problem, but that shouldn't be a problem for you.) Otherwise, your CPU performance is only a concern if it's so slow that it can't run the OS/mining software effectively. (Assuming you're only GPU mining and not trying to CPU mine.)

As others have mentioned, you almost definitely will not need a PCIe network adapter card. There are few motherboards that do not already have an integrated ethernet adapter that will work fine for mining purposes.

As far as graphics cards are concerned, it depends on what you pay for electricity and what your PSU can support. Older cards, such as HD 7000 series cards and the R7/R9 200 and 300 series cards, require more power for their hashrate, but can usually be found for cheaper than newer cards. The RX 470/480 cards are better for efficiency and also give good performance on ETH. The 570/580 cards aren't a big improvement over them, and tend to require more power.

Nvidia cards are usually a good choice for equihash coins (ETH is still sometimes better), so I'd consider a 1080ti, 1070, or 1060. The 3GB 1060 probably gets you the best individual hashes/watt (if you do some deal hunting), but you lose out on rig density. (I.e. With a fixed number of slots available on your motherboard, filling them with 1080ti cards gives you more hashpower than 1060s, and if you wanted to use 1060s to achieve a comparable hashrate, you'd have to purchase an additional mobo/cpu/ram/etc. to run another rig.)

As always, nobody here is responsible should you take our advice and dislike the results.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
rig707

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 10:21:59 PM

Relatively new to GPU mining... I have a very recent 6 x Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 rig hashing ETH steady at 181 MH/s. OCed with Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming Engine. Running very stable now with max temp. 59c to 69c (hottest card).

Any pros here can suggest I should try to OC higher or do better with mining other coins?
adloule13

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 02:15:39 PM

You will need a motherboard that is compatible with your current CPU and the RAM that you specified (DDR3, I'm assuming?).

Unfortunately, there are likely no dedicated mining motherboards available for that line of processors, so if you're adamant about making use of that processor, you'd need to search more on your own for one that has many PCIe slots.

To a certain extent, your CPU performance isn't a huge deal. Any relatively recent Pentium or Celeron can usually do the job, so your old i3 should be fine. (With systems with very high numbers of GPUs, CPU/chipset limitations with PCIe lanes can become a problem, but that shouldn't be a problem for you.) Otherwise, your CPU performance is only a concern if it's so slow that it can't run the OS/mining software effectively. (Assuming you're only GPU mining and not trying to CPU mine.)

As others have mentioned, you almost definitely will not need a PCIe network adapter card. There are few motherboards that do not already have an integrated ethernet adapter that will work fine for mining purposes.

As far as graphics cards are concerned, it depends on what you pay for electricity and what your PSU can support. Older cards, such as HD 7000 series cards and the R7/R9 200 and 300 series cards, require more power for their hashrate, but can usually be found for cheaper than newer cards. The RX 470/480 cards are better for efficiency and also give good performance on ETH. The 570/580 cards aren't a big improvement over them, and tend to require more power.

Nvidia cards are usually a good choice for equihash coins (ETH is still sometimes better), so I'd consider a 1080ti, 1070, or 1060. The 3GB 1060 probably gets you the best individual hashes/watt (if you do some deal hunting), but you lose out on rig density. (I.e. With a fixed number of slots available on your motherboard, filling them with 1080ti cards gives you more hashpower than 1060s, and if you wanted to use 1060s to achieve a comparable hashrate, you'd have to purchase an additional mobo/cpu/ram/etc. to run another rig.)

As always, nobody here is responsible should you take our advice and dislike the results.

Thanks, I bought the Geforce 1070. One question; Should i attach a SATA power cable to my hard drive as well as a SATA cable connecting the hard drive to the motherboard?

COVESTING

SPACE
sPresale starts on 20th of October
Bringing Copy-Trading Platform to the crypto currency market.
They trade - you profit.

Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2017, 10:07:34 PM

One question; Should i attach a SATA power cable to my hard drive as well as a SATA cable connecting the hard drive to the motherboard?

A SATA hard drive requires both a power connection the PSU and a thinner connector that goes to the motherboard for data.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███