Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:06:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [question] how to use segwit to save on transaction fees  (Read 826 times)
ccminer.net (OP)

Activity: 595
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 08:54:10 PM

Hi,

I know few days ago SEGWIT finally started for BTC.
I know that thanks to it we can save on tx fees, but I have no idea how to use it with my bitcoin core wallet (currently version v0.14.1.0-g964a185)

Please guide me on this

THX
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 09:06:12 PM

Hi,

I know that thanks to it we can save on tx fees, but I have no idea how to use it with my bitcoin core wallet (currently version v0.14.1.0-g964a185)

Please guide me on this

THX

It should work automatically with your core I think. Although I think it has to be on addresses that begin with a 3 (segwit addresses).
ccminer.net (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 09:31:30 PM

Hi,

Please guide me on this

THX

It should work automatically with your core I think. Although I think it has to be on addresses that begin with a 3 (segwit addresses).

Please try to be a bit more specific
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 09:47:07 PM

Hi,

Please guide me on this

THX

I assumed it would be automatic. And doing a quick search, i can see no guides that say how to use segiwt, just it's benefits from the core devs.
I may have to wait for someone more technical so come online who understands this update better than I do as it involves sending a transaction with a segregated witness address.
ccminer.net (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 09:55:46 PM

Hi,

Please guide me on this

THX

I assumed it would be automatic. And doing a quick search, i can see no guides that say how to use segiwt, just it's benefits from the core devs.
I may have to wait for someone more technical so come online who understands this update better than I do as it involves sending a transaction with a segregated witness address.

Thank you!

I hope some one more tech than us could help us to understand in a proper way this update!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 09:58:44 PM

While Bitcoin Core now recognizes and validates SegWit transactions if they occur, there is no user interface yet to make use of the functionality.
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 7043

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2017, 10:24:28 PM

For now, you can use the command "addwitnessaddress addr", where addr is an existing P2PKH or P2SH address of yours. It will construct a P2SH-P2WPKH or P2SH-P2WSH address with the same key/script, if known to be valid[1].

Obviously it would be better to wait until we have more user-friendly implementations from all main wallets if you are not an expert user.

[1] https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/57832/how-to-generate-segwit-address

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2017, 10:28:57 PM

For now, you can use the command "addwitnessaddress addr", where addr is an existing P2PKH or P2SH address of yours. It will construct a P2SH-P2WPKH or P2SH-P2WSH address with the same key/script, if known to be valid[1].

Obviously it would be better to wait until we have more user-friendly implementations from all main wallets if you are not an expert user.

[1] https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/57832/how-to-generate-segwit-address

Sorry for sending this slightly off-topic, but is this just bitcoin core that can be used to make a signed transaction or is there any alternative client that will acccept such transactions (obviously by client I mean software, I know that the hardware wallets are able to handle these transactions already - apparently)?
ccminer.net (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 12:34:37 AM

I did so and the console created a new address based on one of mine previous ones.
Good!! Now what should I do?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: